English Synonyms and Antonyms
Number is the generic term. To count is to number one by one. To calculate is to use more complicated processes, as multiplication, division, etc., more rapid but not less exact. Compute allows more of the element of probability, which is still more strongly expressed by estimate. We compute the slain in a great war from the number known to have fallen in certain great battles; compute refers to the present or the past, estimate more frequently to the future; as, to estimate the cost of a proposed building. To enumerate is to mention item by item; as, to enumerate one's grievances. To rate is to estimate by comparison, as if the object were one of a series. We count upon a desired future; we do not count upon the undesired. As applied to the present, we reckon or count a thing precious or worthless. Compare ESTEEM.
It is vain to calculate on or upon an uncertain result.
the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals
"he had a number of chores to do"; "the number of parameters is small"; "the figure was about a thousand"
turn, number, bit, act, phone number, trope, fig, numeral, figure, physical body, routine, identification number, frame, form, name, build, figure of speech, chassis, shape, anatomy, bod, design, material body, flesh, pattern, soma, public figure, telephone number, image, digit, issue, human body, physique
a concept of quantity involving zero and units
"every number has a unique position in the sequence"
act, routine, number, turn, bitnoun
a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
"he did his act three times every evening"; "she had a catchy little routine"; "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
turn, figure, routine, morsel, act, spot, piece, twist, turning, procedure, function, bit, flake, second, snatch, bend, subroutine, modus operandi, crook, turn of events, round, deed, mo, subprogram, tour, fleck, chip, go, telephone number, play, identification number, number, minute, phone number, spell, numeral, scrap, moment, human activity, good turn, bout, enactment, bite, issue, human action
phone number, telephone number, numbernoun
the number is used in calling a particular telephone
"he has an unlisted number"
a symbol used to represent a number
"he learned to write the numerals before he went to school"
one of a series published periodically
"she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist's waiting room"
turn, figure, progeny, subject, act, issuing, military issue, takings, bit, payoff, consequence, take, publication, government issue, routine, event, upshot, return, effect, topic, offspring, egress, telephone number, outlet, identification number, phone number, number, numeral, yield, emergence, outcome, way out, exit, proceeds, issue, matter, result, issuance
a select company of people
"I hope to become one of their number before I die"
number, identification numbernoun
a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification
"she refused to give them her Social Security number"
a clothing measurement
"a number 13 shoe"
the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural)
"in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
an item of merchandise offered for sale
"she preferred the black nylon number"; "this sweater is an all-wool number"
total, number, add up, come, amountverb
add up in number or quantity
"The bills amounted to $2,000"; "The bill came to $2,000"
tot, descend, tote up, hail, get, add, get along, fare, numerate, sum, add up, come in, come up, tot up, list, fall, sum up, do, follow, occur, enumerate, count, issue forth, make out, number, amount, tally, derive, make sense, come, add together, total, summate, arrive, keep down
give numbers to
"You should number the pages of the thesis"
"We must number the names of the great mathematicians"
put into a group
"The academy counts several Nobel Prize winners among its members"
count, number, enumerate, numerateverb
determine the number or amount of
"Can you count the books on your shelf?"; "Count your change"
number, keep downverb
place a limit on the number of
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "number":
name, behalf, numbers, series, sales, ¶, quantity, figure, amount, range, serial, many, issue, instalment, numéro, some, no., #, proportion, variety, nombre, volume, numeric, several, set, certain, names, num, figures, edition, multiple, size, lot, count, suite, incidence
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use NUMBER in a sentence?
One's most essential attributes cannot be defined by math, but instead, by opinion; and those that can be measured by a number, are less significant.
Space is difficult. Rocket science is rocket science, i obviously would love to prove our critics wrong, and I'm reasonably confident that before Christmas, we will do so. I think once we're in space, we'll obviously need to do a number of other test flights before I go up, and then before we start putting the... astronauts who signed up to go into space with us.
The number of deaths is expected to significantly increase.
There are certainly any number of things that may divide the city of Milwaukee and its citizens, but this (referendum campaign) quite possibly could be the one issue that brings us together, this is not a one-man show, not a two-man show, with me and Alderman Davis. This is a community effort, and I am pleased that this coalition is coming together to hopefully restore some common sense to decision-making in Milwaukee.
We take any allegations of this nature very seriously, a safe training and competitive environment for everyone involved in our sport is Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton's number one priority.
Translations for NUMBER
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- aantal, getaalAfrikaans
- عدد, رقمArabic
- nömrə, say, rəqəm, ədədAzerbaijani
- лічба, нумар, лік, лічэбнікBelarusian
- число, номерBulgarian
- সংখ্যা, নম্বরBengali
- niver, niverenn, niverenniñBreton
- nombre, número, xifra, numerar, comptar, sumarCatalan, Valencian
- množství, číslo, číslice, číslovat, počítatCzech
- rhif, niferWelsh
- Zahl, Anzahl, Nummer, Ziffer, nummerieren, zählenGerman
- πλήθος, αριθμός, ποσότητα, νούμερο, ψηφίο, αριθμώGreek
- numero, nombro, cifero, nombri, numeriEsperanto
- número, cantidad, serie, numerarSpanish
- عدد, شماره, نمره, رقم, تعدادPersian
- numero, luku, ohjelmanumero, lukumäärä, määrä, nousta, numeroida, ollaFinnish
- nombre, nombre entier, numéro, entier, chiffre, numéroterFrench
- uimhir, uimhrighIrish
- àireamhScottish Gaelic
- כמות, מספר, ספרהHebrew
- संख्या, नंबरHindi
- nimewoHaitian Creole
- szám, megszámoz, kitesz egy mennyiséget, valamennyit számlálHungarian
- թիվ, համար, քանակ, թվանշանArmenian
- numero, numerarInterlingua
- nomor, angka, bilangIndonesian
- numero, numbroIdo
- tala, númer, fjöldi, tölustafur, tölusetja, númeraIcelandic
- cifra, numero, quantità, numerare, ammontareItalian
- 番号, 数, 番, 数字, 多寡Japanese
- რაოდენობა, რიცხვი, ნომერიGeorgian
- сан, нөмірKazakh
- 번호, 番號, 수, 번, 番, 數Korean
- номер, санKyrgyz
- numerus, numero, numerareLatin
- ZuelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- skaits, skaitlis, numurs, numurētLatvian
- цифра, количина, број, количество, бројка, нумерира, избројува, набројуваMacedonian
- дугаар, дүгээрMongolian
- bilangan, nombor, angkaMalay
- aantal, hoeveelheid, nummer, getal, nummerenDutch
- nummerNorwegian Nynorsk
- tal, antall, tall, numerus, nummerNorwegian
- námboo, ánéeltʼeʼ, ákwíígíí, nóombaNavajo, Navaho
- numer, liczba, cyfra, ilość, numerowaćPolish
- quantidade, número, numerarPortuguese
- numer, nomerRomansh
- număr, cantitate, număr întreg, numerota, număraRomanian
- число, номер, цифра, числительное, количество, имя числительное, исчисляться, насчитывать, нумероватьRussian
- númunu, númeruSardinian
- број, broj, число, мноштво, mnoštvo, čisloSerbo-Croatian
- අංක, ගණනSinhala, Sinhalese
- číslo, množstvoSlovak
- številko, številoSlovene
- numerär, tal, numerus, heltal, nummer, antal, numreraSwedish
- శ్రేణి, మొత్తము, సంఖ్య, ఒంటరి, ఒకటిగాTelugu
- теъдод, шумора, рақам, ададTajik
- เลข, จำนวนThai
- san, nomerTurkmen
- rakam, sayı, adet, numara, saymak, numaralamakTurkish
- نومۇرUyghur, Uighur
- номер, число, числівник, цифраUkrainian
- نمبر, تعداد, عددUrdu
- son, raqamUzbek
- נומער, צאָלYiddish
Get even more translations for NUMBER »
Find a translation for the NUMBER synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)