Synonyms for able
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word able.
English Synonyms and Antonyms3.0 / 1 vote
Adequate, commensurate, and sufficient signify equal to some given occasion or work; as, a sum sufficient to meet expenses; an adequate remedy for the disease. Commensurate is the more precise and learned word, signifying that which exactly measures the matter in question. Adapted, fit, suitable, and qualified refer to the qualities which match or suit the occasion. A clergyman may have strength adequate to the work of a porter; but that would not be a fit or suitable occupation for him. Work is satisfactory if it satisfies those for whom it is done, though it may be very poor work judged by some higher standard. Qualified refers to acquired abilities; competent to both natural and acquired; a qualified teacher may be no longer competent, by reason of ill health. Able and capable suggest general ability and reserved power, able being the higher word of the two. An able man will do something well in any position. A capable man will come up to any ordinary demand. We say an able orator, a capable accountant.
Adequate to the demand; for the purpose.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms0.0 / 0 votes
Princeton's WordNet0.0 / 0 votes
(usually followed by `to') having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something
"able to swim"; "she was able to program her computer"; "we were at last able to buy a car"; "able to get a grant for the project"
have the skills and qualifications to do things well
"able teachers"; "a capable administrator"; "children as young as 14 can be extremely capable and dependable"
having inherent physical or mental ability or capacity
"able to learn"; "human beings are able to walk on two feet"; "Superman is able to leap tall buildings"
having a strong healthy body
"an able seaman"; "every able-bodied young man served in the army"
Dictionary of English Synonymes0.0 / 0 votes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words0.0 / 0 votes
Words popularity by usage frequency
I really want to piss them off, and we'll carry on doing this - to the end, i won't send [unvaccinated people] to prison, so we need to tell them, from 15 January, you will no longer be able to go to the restaurant. You will no longer be able to go for a coffee, you will no longer be able to go to the theatre. You will no longer be able to go to the cinema.
They are able because they think they are able.
He is able who thinks he is able.
I think that if Hillary Clinton were to face a female nominee, there are a whole set of things that she won't be able to talk about, she won't be able to talk about being the first woman president. She won't be able to talk about a war on women without being challenged. She won't be able to play the gender card.
I t's easier to view these things through the lens of like,' What will I be able to do, will I be able to go to in-person classes, will I be able to go to parties, will I be able to eat in the dining hall ?' but you really have to remember that, with each little failure the university has with Covid, people are actually getting sick.
Translations for able
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قادر, ماهر, قدير, بارعArabic
- компетентен, позволен, в състояние да, способен, умел, годенBulgarian
- schopný, způsobilýCzech
- habil, i stand til, kompetent, dygtig, have mulighed forDanish
- fähig, tüchtig, imstande, kompetentGerman
- μπορώ να, αρτιμελής, έχων σώας τας φρένας, είμαι ικανός να, ικανός, δυνάμενοςGreek
- lerta, kompetenta, poviEsperanto
- capaz, competente, diestro, hábilSpanish
- pädev, suuteline, võimelineEstonian
- kykenevä, taitavaFinnish
- habilité, capable, expérimentéFrench
- betûftWestern Frisian
- ábalta, in annIrish
- comasachScottish Gaelic
- מסוגל, יָכֹל, יכולHebrew
- կարող, ընդունակ, ունակ, ճարտարArmenian
- capace, abileItalian
- 腕利き, 有資格, できる, 有能Japanese
- 능란한, 할 수 있는, 유자격의Korean
- potis, potens, sanus, habilis, licensLatin
- spējīgs, izdarīgs, veiklsLatvian
- dapat, bolehMalay
- aanmerking, om, bedreven, de, te, competent, in, in staat, mogelijkheid, hebben, handig, komenDutch
- i standNorwegian
- umiejętny, móc, zdolny, potrafić, mieć możliwość, zręcznyPolish
- permitido, capaz, possível, competentePortuguese
- abil, competent, capabil, abilitatRomanian
- способный, компете́нтный, уме́лый, полнопра́вный, спосо́бныйRussian
- kompetentný, schopnýSlovak
- ha möjlighet att, kapabel, i stånd att, skicklig, kompetentSwedish
- قادىر, قابىلUyghur, Uighur
- khả năngVietnamese
- skilik, duinafägik, fägikVolapük
Get even more translations for able »
Find a translation for the able synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"able." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 11 Dec. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/able>.