Synonyms for able
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term able.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Adequate, commensurate, and sufficient signify equal to some given occasion or work; as, a sum sufficient to meet expenses; an adequate remedy for the disease. Commensurate is the more precise and learned word, signifying that which exactly measures the matter in question. Adapted, fit, suitable, and qualified refer to the qualities which match or suit the occasion. A clergyman may have strength adequate to the work of a porter; but that would not be a fit or suitable occupation for him. Work is satisfactory if it satisfies those for whom it is done, though it may be very poor work judged by some higher standard. Qualified refers to acquired abilities; competent to both natural and acquired; a qualified teacher may be no longer competent, by reason of ill health. Able and capable suggest general ability and reserved power, able being the higher word of the two. An able man will do something well in any position. A capable man will come up to any ordinary demand. We say an able orator, a capable accountant.
Adequate to the demand; for the purpose.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
(usually followed by `to') having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something
"able to swim"; "she was able to program her computer"; "we were at last able to buy a car"; "able to get a grant for the project"
have the skills and qualifications to do things well
"able teachers"; "a capable administrator"; "children as young as 14 can be extremely capable and dependable"
having inherent physical or mental ability or capacity
"able to learn"; "human beings are able to walk on two feet"; "Superman is able to leap tall buildings"
having a strong healthy body
"an able seaman"; "every able-bodied young man served in the army"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use able in a sentence?
I don't know when our family will be able to come out of this grief.
She could get up and walk a very small distance around the room to move to the bed to a chair or whatever, she’s not longer able to do that.
AIPA is supportive of the commercial benefits that may flow to Qantas in being able to operate these long premium routes with minimal competition, we want to make sure the safety and fatigue management issues are adequately addressed in the process of enabling these flights.
My gut says we're going to be able to contain this real quick -- we're going to be able to put a moat around this fire, i think this is going to be much more like SARS or MERS than the movie' Contagion.'.
I get a lot of calls from drivers to ask me,' What is the plan for starting September ?' i feel bad when I tell them we don't know anything because us, as a union, we should be able to tell the drivers something.
Translations for able
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قادر, ماهر, قدير, بارعArabic
- компетентен, позволен, в състояние да, способен, умел, годенBulgarian
- schopný, způsobilýCzech
- habil, i stand til, kompetent, dygtig, have mulighed forDanish
- fähig, tüchtig, imstande, kompetentGerman
- μπορώ να, αρτιμελής, έχων σώας τας φρένας, είμαι ικανός να, ικανός, δυνάμενοςGreek
- lerta, kompetenta, poviEsperanto
- capaz, competente, diestro, hábilSpanish
- pädev, suuteline, võimelineEstonian
- kykenevä, taitavaFinnish
- habilité, capable, expérimentéFrench
- betûftWestern Frisian
- ábalta, in annIrish
- comasachScottish Gaelic
- מסוגל, יָכֹל, יכולHebrew
- կարող, ընդունակ, ունակ, ճարտարArmenian
- capace, abileItalian
- 腕利き, 有資格, できる, 有能Japanese
- 능란한, 할 수 있는, 유자격의Korean
- potis, potens, sanus, habilis, licensLatin
- spējīgs, izdarīgs, veiklsLatvian
- dapat, bolehMalay
- aanmerking, om, bedreven, de, te, competent, in, in staat, mogelijkheid, hebben, handig, komenDutch
- i standNorwegian
- umiejętny, móc, zdolny, potrafić, mieć możliwość, zręcznyPolish
- permitido, capaz, possível, competentePortuguese
- abil, competent, capabil, abilitatRomanian
- способный, компете́нтный, уме́лый, полнопра́вный, спосо́бныйRussian
- kompetentný, schopnýSlovak
- ha möjlighet att, kapabel, i stånd att, skicklig, kompetentSwedish
- قادىر, قابىلUyghur, Uighur
- khả năngVietnamese
- skilik, duinafägik, fägikVolapük
Get even more translations for able »
Find a translation for the able synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"able." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 19 Aug. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/able>.