foreigner, alien, noncitizen, outlander(noun)
a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country
stranger, alien, unknown(noun)
anyone who does not belong in the environment in which they are found
extraterrestrial being, extraterrestrial, alien(adj)
a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere
not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something
"an economic theory alien to the spirit of capitalism"; "the mysticism so foreign to the French mind and temper"; "jealousy is foreign to her nature"
being or from or characteristic of another place or part of the world
"alien customs"; "exotic plants in a greenhouse"; "exotic cuisine"
transfer property or ownership
"The will aliened the property to the heirs"
estrange, alienate, alien, disaffect(verb)
arouse hostility or indifference in where there had formerly been love, affection, or friendliness
"She alienated her friends when she became fanatically religious"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Foreign refers to difference of birth, alien to difference of allegiance. In their figurative use, that is foreign which is remote, unlike, or unconnected; that is alien which is conflicting, hostile, or opposed. Impertinent and irrelevant matters can not claim consideration in a certain connection; inappropriate matters could not properly be considered. Compare ALIEN, n.; CONTRAST, v.
Such a purpose was alien to (or from) my thought: to preferable.
A naturalized citizen is not an alien, though a foreigner by birth, and perhaps a stranger in the place where he resides. A person of foreign birth not naturalized is an alien, though he may have been resident in the country a large part of a lifetime, and ceased to be a stranger to its people or institutions. He is an alien in one country if his allegiance is to another. The people of any country still residing in their own land are, strictly speaking, foreigners to the people of all other countries, rather than aliens; but alien and foreigner are often used synonymously.
Aliens to (more rarely from) our nation and laws; aliens in our land, among our people.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use alien in a sentence?
He's a guy, at the age that he is, without a job, he's gone through [what's akin to] a divorce, or at least a separation. It doesn't have to do with the nonfulfillment of the [2012 alien] prophecy. I think he's got more human things that are depressing him. And I'm not agreeing that he may be depressed. I think that's a false diagnosis.
I am a man: I hold that nothing human is alien to me.
The( y) are almost without doubt people who want Netanyahu to be defeated, the revelations mean that V15 which, in its very style and name, comes across as an alien presence on the Israeli scene, is unlikely to have the effect that its creators desired. And that’s good for Israeli democracy, whether or not you want to see Netanyahu re-elected.
In recent weeks an elderly homeless woman was allegedly beaten to death by a twice-deported illegal alien that was not supposed to be in this country, in the sanctuary city of Philadelphia, I went to school in Philadelphia, local officials released a previously deported illegal alien back onto the streets after his release. The illegal alien raped a very young child. I won't even tell you how old this child was.
Those who criticize the enforcement of our laws have offered only one countermeasure : open borders, the quick release of all illegal alien families and the decision not to enforce our laws, this policy would be disastrous.
Translations for alien
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أجنبي, غريبArabic
- чуждестранен, извънземен, чужденец, чужд, чужденкаBulgarian
- forastera, estranya, extraterrestre, estrany, foraster, aliéCatalan, Valencian
- cizinec, mimozemšťanCzech
- Außerirdischer, außerirdisch, fremd, Fremde, Ausländer, Fremder, Ausländerin, Außerirdische, fremdartig, FremdlingGerman
- εξωγήινος, ξένοςGreek
- fremda, alilandanoEsperanto
- desconocido, extranjera, desconocida, extranjero, extraterrestre, alienígenaSpanish
- vieras, muukalainen, ulkomaalainen, vierasmaalainenFinnish
- étranger, étrangère, extraterrestre, gamienFrench
- coigreach, coimheach, GallScottish Gaelic
- estraño, estranxeiro, extraterrestreGalician
- חייזר, זָר, חוצןHebrew
- अन्यदेशीय, अजनबी, विदेशीHindi
- idegen, földönkívüliHungarian
- օտար, այլմոլորակայինArmenian
- alieno, straniero, forestiero, extraterrestreItalian
- 宇宙人, 異国人, 異邦人, 外国人, 外人, 異星人Japanese
- 외국인, 外国人, 異国人, 宇宙人, 이국인, 우주인Korean
- buitenlander, buitenaards, allochtoon, vluchteling, vreemdelingDutch
- romvesen, utenomjordiskNorwegian
- yótʼááh dineʼé dootłʼizhígííNavajo, Navaho
- obcy, ufoludek, zielony ludzik, istota pozaziemska, kosmita, cudzoziemiec, obcokrajowiecPolish
- alienígena, extraterrestre, estranho, estrangeiroPortuguese
- alienă, extraterestru, străin, alien, străinăRomanian
- чужак, незнакомец, незнакомка, иностранец, чужеземец, инопланетяне, пришелец, посторонний, инородец, инопланетянин, инопланетянкаRussian
- vanzemaljac, izvanzemaljacSerbo-Croatian
- huaj, jashtëtokësorAlbanian
- utomjordling, utomjording, främlingSwedish
- yabancı, ecnebi, uzaylıTurkish
- người nước ngoài, người ngoại quốcVietnamese
Get even more translations for alien »
Find a translation for the alien synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)