Synonyms for answer
ˈæn sər, ˈɑn-an·swer
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word answer.
English Synonyms and Antonyms2.7 / 3 votes
A verbal answer is a return of words to something that seems to call for them, and is made to a charge as well as to a question; an answer may be even made to an unspoken implication or manifestation; see Luke v, 22. In a wider sense, anything said or done in return for some word, action, or suggestion of another may be called an answer. The blow of an enraged man, the whinny of a horse, the howling of the wind, the movement of a bolt in a lock, an echo, etc., may each be an answer to some word or movement. A reply is an unfolding, and ordinarily implies thought and intelligence. A rejoinder is strictly an answer to a reply, tho often used in the general sense of answer, but always with the implication of something more or less controversial or opposed, tho lacking the conclusiveness implied in answer; an answer, in the full sense, to a charge, an argument, or an objection is adequate, and finally refutes and disposes of it; a reply or rejoinder may be quite inadequate, so that one may say, "This reply is not an answer;" "I am ready with an answer" means far more than "I am ready with a reply." A response is accordant or harmonious, designed or adapted to carry on the thought of the words that called it forth, as the responses in a liturgical service, or to meet the wish of him who seeks it; as, the appeal for aid met a prompt and hearty response. Repartee is a prompt, witty, and commonly good-natured answer to some argument or attack; a retort may also be witty, but is severe and may be even savage in its intensity.
An answer in writing, or by word of mouth, to the question.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms0.0 / 0 votes
Princeton's WordNet4.0 / 1 vote
answer, reply, responsenoun
a statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
"I waited several days for his answer"; "he wrote replies to several of his critics"
solution, answer, result, resolution, solventnoun
a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
"they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places"
closure, consequence, termination, event, reply, firmness of purpose, dissolvent, solvent, upshot, effect, firmness, response, final result, solution, result, dissolver, solving, resolve, root, dissolving agent, declaration, outcome, resolving, settlement, resolvent, resolving power, resultant, resolution, issue, resoluteness, resultant role
the speech act of replying to a question
the principal pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
a nonverbal reaction
"his answer to any problem was to get drunk"; "their answer was to sue me"
answer, reply, respondverb
"She didn't want to answer"; "answer the question"; "We answered that we would accept the invitation"
respond to a signal
"answer the door"; "answer the telephone"
give the correct answer or solution to
"answer a question"; "answer the riddle"
understand the meaning of
"The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered"
give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
"The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution"
be liable or accountable
"She must answer for her actions"
suffice, do, answer, serveverb
be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
"A few words would answer"; "This car suits my purpose well"; "Will $100 do?"; "A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school"; "Nothing else will serve"
dish up, practice, service, process, act, respond, function, behave, dish out, get along, serve up, suffice, fare, make, swear out, reply, arrange, coif, wait on, execute, manage, cause, do, coiffure, assist, help, make out, perform, attend, exercise, resolve, come, coiffe, serve well, serve, set, practise, attend to, dress, dish
match or correspond
"The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave"
be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
"This may answer her needs"
react to a stimulus or command
"The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch"
answer is the synonym of jawab .. uttar also a synonym of jawab
you should give this answer. this answer is very easy.Submitted by rinat on September 3, 2019
Dictionary of English Synonymes4.0 / 1 vote
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words0.0 / 0 votes
The answer symbol -- In this Symbols.com article you will learn about the meaning of the answer symbol and its characteristic.
Words popularity by usage frequency
If you know the answer, then you have knowledge, but if you know why the answer is right, how to find the answer, and what is the implications of the answer, then you are educated.
I know the answer The answer lies within the heart of all mankind The answer is twelve I think I'm in the wrong building.
I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
If the answer to that is yes, then do it, if the answer to that is no, clearly don't do it. If the answer to that is, it shouldn't hurt, I would suggest that we shouldn't do it, because it might hurt.
Do you have the courage to listen to my answer? Don't throw him out. If he'll shut up and listen to my answer, I'll answer it.
Translations for answer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أجاب, رد, رَدٌّ, إِجَابَةٌ, جَوَابٌ, إجابةArabic
- адка́зваць, адказа́ць, адка́зBelarusian
- отвръщам, отговарям, подхождам, о́тговор, реше́ниеBulgarian
- respondre, respostaCatalan, Valencian
- odpovědět, odpověďCzech
- отъвѣтъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- svare, svarDanish
- antworten, Antwort, LösungGerman
- απαντώ, ανταποκρίνομαι, ανταπαντώ, αποκρούω, αποκρίνομαι, απόκρουση, λύση, απάντηση, απόκριση, ανταπάντησηGreek
- respondi, repliko, respondoEsperanto
- servir, responder, contestar, contestación, respuestaSpanish
- vastama, vastusEstonian
- جواب دادن, پاسخ دادن, پیواژ, پاسخ, جوابPersian
- vastata, vastine, vastaus, ratkaisuFinnish
- svara, svarFaroese
- répondre, solution, réponseFrench
- freagair, freagraIrish
- freagair, freagairtScottish Gaelic
- responder, contestar, respostaGalician
- જવાબ, ઉત્તરGujarati
- מענה, תשובהHebrew
- उत्तर देना, जवाब देना, जवाब, उत्तरHindi
- válaszol, válasz, megoldásHungarian
- պատասխանել, պատասխանArmenian
- respondo, repliko, solvoIdo
- ansa, svara, ans, svarIcelandic
- rispondere, rispostaItalian
- 答える, 返事, 解答, 応答, 答え, 返答, 回答Japanese
- პასუხობს, პასუხიGeorgian
- 회답, 대답Korean
- جێ بهجێ, وهڵامKurdish
- äntweren, Léisung, ÄntwertLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ຕອບ, ຄຳຕອບLao
- atbildēt, atbildeLatvian
- одговара, соодветствува, одговор, решение, о́дговорMacedonian
- jawab, jawaban, jawapan, penyelesaianMalay
- ထူး, အဖြေBurmese
- beantwoorden, antwoorden, antwoordDutch
- tilfredsstille, svare, oppfylle, svar, løsningNorwegian
- respónder, respondre, responsaOccitan
- odpowiedzieć, odpowiadać, odpowiedźPolish
- responder, atender, respostaPortuguese
- rispunder, respunder, raspunder, respuonderRomansh
- răspunde, soluționa, răspuns, soluționare, rezolvare, soluțieRomanian
- отве́тить, соотве́тствовать, отвеча́ть, отве́т, реше́ние, о́тповедьRussian
- arraspundi, respúndiri, rispòndhere, rispònnereSardinian
- одгово́рити, odgovóriti, јавити, о̏дгово̄р, rešénje, реше́ње, rješénje, ȍdgovōr, рјеше́њеSerbo-Croatian
- odpovedať, odpoveďSlovak
- odgovoriti, rešitev, odgovorSlovene
- svara, svarSwedish
- jibu, jawabuSwahili
- సమాధానం, పరిష్కారం, జవాబుTelugu
- ตอบ, คำตอบThai
- yanıt, cevapTurkish
- відповісти́, відповіда́ти, ві́дповідьUkrainian
- جواب دینا, جواب, اترUrdu
- trả lời, câu trả lờiVietnamese
Get even more translations for answer »
Find a translation for the answer synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"answer." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 6 Dec. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/answer>.