sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water)
"they pulled the canoe up on the bank"; "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
depository financial institution, bank, banking concern, banking company(noun)
a financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities
"he cashed a check at the bank"; "that bank holds the mortgage on my home"
a long ridge or pile
"a huge bank of earth"
an arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers
"he operated a bank of switches"
a supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies)
the funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games
"he tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
bank, cant, camber(noun)
a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
argot, pious platitude, banking company, money box, banking concern, slang, chamfer, lingo, bank building, coin bank, patois, savings bank, vernacular, bevel, camber, jargon, cant, buzzword, depository financial institution
savings bank, coin bank, money box, bank(noun)
a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home
"the coin bank was empty"
bank, bank building(noun)
a building in which the business of banking transacted
"the bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
a flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning)
"the plane went into a steep bank"
"the pilot had to bank the aircraft"
enclose with a bank
do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank
"Where do you bank in this town?"
act as the banker in a game or in gambling
be in the banking business
put into a bank account
"She deposits her paycheck every month"
cover with ashes so to control the rate of burning
"bank a fire"
trust, swear, rely, bank(verb)
have confidence or faith in
"We can trust in God"; "Rely on your friends"; "bank on your good education"; "I swear by my grandmother's recipes"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Bank is a general term for the land along the edge of a water course; it may also denote a raised portion of the bed of a river, lake, or ocean; as, the Banks of Newfoundland. A beach is a strip or expanse of incoherent wave-worn sand, which is often pebbly or full of boulders; we speak of the beach of a lake or ocean; a beach is sometimes found in the bend of a river. Strand is a more poetic term for a wave-washed shore, especially as a place for landing or embarking; as, the keel grates on the strand. The whole line of a country or continent that borders the sea is a coast. Shore is any land, whether cliff, or sand, or marsh, bordering water. We do not speak of the coast of a river, nor of the banks of the ocean, tho there may be banks by or under the sea. Edge is the line where land and water meet; as, the water's edge. Brink is the place from which one may fall; as, the river's brink; the brink of a precipice; the brink of ruin.
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use bank in a sentence?
It does not signal a change of U.S. policy on Jerusalem, the West Bank or the Gaza Strip, the specific boundaries of Israeli sovereignty in Jerusalem are subject to final status negotiations between the parties.
If banks from the top 30 get into trouble, the government will have to save them at any price, it would be very painful for such a bank to go under, as it could spark a crisis of confidence in which the population withdraws deposits en masse and interbank lending rates spike.
We have decided to become the first major western nation to be a prospective founding member of the new Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, because we think you should be present at the creation of these new international institutions.
The European Commission has approved additional state aid of 2.72 billion euros to Greek Piraeus Bank under EU state aid rules, on the basis of an amended restructuring plan, i welcome that Piraeus Bank has covered a significant part of its capital needs from private investors. This is a sign of market confidence. The additional public support and further implementation of its restructuring plan should enable the bank to return to long-term viability and continue supporting the recovery of the Greek economy.
Ronald Reagan had people saying government is the problem while they were going to the bank with their Social Security check or to their doctors with Medicare.
Translations for bank
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مصرف, بنك, ضِفَّةArabic
- банк, бе́рагBelarusian
- хранилище, банка, банков клон, рид, бряг, плитчина, вира́ж, правя насип, внасям, наклонявам се, влагам, натрупвамBulgarian
- ti-bank, bank, bankad, riblBreton
- bancCatalan, Valencian
- banka, břehCzech
- брѣгъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- banc, tyleWelsh
- bankfilial, bank, -bank, vold, bred, række, banke, batteriDanish
- Bank, UferGerman
- υποκατάστημα, τράπεζα, ανάχωμα, όχθη, συστοιχία, πλαγιά, αμμοσύρτις, καταθέτωGreek
- sucursal, banca, banco, almacén, hilera, talud, teclado, terraplén, ribera, bajío, ladeo, orilla, ingresar, apilar, ahorrar, ladear, tener la cuenta en, ladearse, depositar, amontonarSpanish
- pank, kallasEstonian
- banku, banketxeBasque
- nostokasa, pelinhoitaja, pankki, valli, hiekkasärkkä, töyräs, rantapenger, särkkä, pengerrys, kosketinrivi, törmä, kenttä, penger, ranta, näppäinrivi, äyräs, asema, penkka, rivi, kallistus, matalikko, kasata, [[olla]] [[pankin]] [[asiakas]], kallistua, tallettaa, kallistaa, [[peittää]] [[tuhkalla]]Finnish
- banque, rive, bancFrench
- bankWestern Frisian
- banc, bruachIrish
- taigh-malairt, taigh-rèidh, banca, bruachScottish Gaelic
- banca, bancoGalician
- בנק, גדהHebrew
- բանկ, ափArmenian
- banca, bancoInterlingua
- banki, bankaútibú, árbakki, bakkiIcelandic
- banca, cumulo, ripa, sponda, riva, sbandamento, banco, argine, depositareItalian
- バンク, 銀行, 岸Japanese
- fengiKikuyu, Gikuyu
- bankiKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- 銀行, 은행, 둑Korean
- pēke, parenga, tahataha, pareparengaMāori
- банка, брегMacedonian
- bank, tebingMalay
- bank, -bank, oeverDutch
- bank, bredd, bankeNorwegian
- bank, brzegPolish
- banco, margemPortuguese
- банк, склад, хранилище, банкомёт, банка, брег, насыпь, бе́рег, вира́ж, вал, отмельRussian
- банка, banka, brȇg, бре̑г, брије̑г, brijȇgSerbo-Croatian
- බැංකුවSinhala, Sinhalese
- banka, brehSlovak
- banka, nabrežje, bregSlovene
- bankë, bankaAlbanian
- bank, bankkontor, sätta inSwedish
- fale pa'angaTonga (Tonga Islands)
- банк, бе́рег, бе́рігUkrainian
- بینک, مصرفUrdu
- ngân hàng, 銀行Vietnamese
Get even more translations for bank »
Find a translation for the bank synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)