buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass(adj)
the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
"he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
screw, arse, keister, female genital organ, substructure, stinkpot, goat, cornerstone, stern, lavatory, git, croup, arsehole, butt, shadower, crapper, commode, throne, skunk, base, tooshie, foundation, butt end, lav, derriere, can buoy, shag, place, seat, prat, bottomland, hind end, tin can, scum bag, asshole, freighter, understructure, ass, stub, backside, after part, female genitals, tramp, female genitalia, idler, nookie, toilet, piece of tail, laughingstock, shtup, poop, foot, screwing, posterior, potty, bathroom, quarter, do-nothing, back end, dirty dog, tush, tail, merchantman, canful, can, croupe, butt joint, john, back tooth, bunghole, nates, rat, rump, nooky, pot, back, privy, underside, piece of ass, rear end, rear, layabout, bottom, buns, merchant ship, undersurface, tail assembly, hobo, loafer, fundament, stool, roll in the hay, empennage, rotter, so-and-so, stooge, target, stinker, buttocks, bottom of the inning, hindquarters, bum, cigaret, coffin nail, tin, crumb, groundwork, shadow, fag end, cigarette, bed, basis, tail end, fanny, lowlife, puke
having the lower score or lagging position in a contest
"behind by two points"; "the 8th inning found the home team trailing"
in or to or toward the rear
"he followed behind"; "seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front"; "the final runners were far behind"
remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from
"when he died he left much unfinished work behind"; "left a large family behind"; "the children left their books behind"; "he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
"the clock is almost an hour slow"; "my watch is running behind"
in or into an inferior position
"fell behind in his studies"; "their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
behind, behindhand, in arrears(adverb)
"he fell behind with his mortgage payments"; "a month behind in the rent"; "a company that has been run behindhand for years"; "in arrears with their utility bills"
the rear, back-end
butt, the buttocks
1880: A roar from ten thousand throats go up,For we've kicked another behind. \uE000125107 The Opening Ball in Comic Australian Verse, ed. G. Lehmann, 1975. Quoted in G. A. Wilkes, A Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms, second edition, 1985, Sydney University Press, ISBN 0-424-00113-6.
in support of
The republicans are fully behind their candidate.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Back door, see there
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use behind in a sentence?
There are the activists, but there are also people following behind, white people, black people, who are looking at opportunities for robbery, i wish people would realize that when they schedule these marches.
She's a very big, powerful player with a great serve and a great first ball behind her serve. I think I'm going to have to use a lot of variety to try and extend those points and get into the points.
This is a broad deterrent, it stops all people from all levels of drinking from getting behind the wheel, it's an encouragement for making the right decision so they don't hurt themselves or someone else.
Charlie was the first African-American to earn a PGA tour card – often facing indignity and injustice even as he faced the competition, though his best golf was already behind him, he proved that he belonged... blazing a trail for future generations of athletes in America.
Pupils had to create a rhyme for today's lesson. When it's his turn, Gilbert goes: "I was in the pond behind the hillocks and I had water up to my knees!" Teacher:"Interesting Gilbert, but that doesn't rhyme!" Gilbert:"I know it doesn't and I'm sorry Mrs Walter, but it's not my fault if there wasn't enough water!"
Translations for behind
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- وراء, خلف, وَراءArabic
- задница, зад, назад, задник, отзадBulgarian
- darrereCatalan, Valencian
- za, zpátky, vzaduCzech
- заOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- bagside, bagdel, bag, efter, bagefter, rumpe, bundDanish
- hinter, Hintern, hintenGerman
- πίσω απόGreek
- después, detrás, atrásSpanish
- taga, tagaosa, tagumik, taha, põhiEstonian
- takana, peräpää, perä, takapuoli, jäljessä, taakse, takaosa, takamus, peppu, pakara, jälkeensä, piilossa, takaosassa, jälkeen, jäljelle, löytymättä, myöhässäFinnish
- derrière, après, reversFrench
- efterWestern Frisian
- taobh thiar deIrish
- air cùl, air cùlaibhScottish Gaelic
- detrás de, tras, detrásGalician
- מֵאָחוֹר, מאחוריHebrew
- पीछा, के पीछे, पीछेHindi
- dèyèHaitian Creole
- mögé, mögött, hátul, végénHungarian
- dietro, dopoItalian
- پشت گرتن, پاش, پشتKurdish
- hönjer, achterLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- pirms, aizLatvian
- sesudah, ke belakang, di belakangMalay
- achterwerk, achteraan, achter, achterste, na, achterkantDutch
- bak, bakpart, rompeNorwegian
- zad, z tyłu, za, tył, dupa, (być) za, poPolish
- traseira, por trás, traseiro, bunda, depois, atrás, apoiando, para trásPortuguese
- după, urmă, spate, spre spate, îndărăt, spre-napoi, în spate, în urmăRomanian
- задница, за, позади, за спиной, зад, после, сзади, тыл, вспять, назадRussian
- за, zaSerbo-Croatian
- za, dél, nazáj, zádnjica, zádnji, po, zadájSlovene
- prapa, pasAlbanian
- baksida, botten, akter, bakom, ända, bak, efter, baktillSwedish
- వెనక్కి, వెనకTelugu
- nasa likod, sa likodTagalog
- поза, заUkrainian
- کے پیچھے, پیچھا, پیچھےUrdu
- padrî, dirîWalloon
Get even more translations for behind »
Find a translation for the behind synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)