physically and forcibly separated into pieces or cracked or split
"a broken mirror"; "a broken tooth"; "a broken leg"; "his neck is broken"
not continuous in space, time, or sequence or varying abruptly
"broken lines of defense"; "a broken cable transmission"; "broken sleep"; "tear off the stub above the broken line"; "a broken note"; "broken sobs"
broken, crushed, humbled, humiliated, low(adj)
subdued or brought low in condition or status
"brought low"; "a broken man"; "his broken spirit"
down(p), dispirited, small, downcast, rugged, impoverished, scummy, broken in, mortified, modest, unkept, scurvy, humbled, low-down, miserable, lowly, low, disordered, down in the mouth, blue, humble, wiped out(p), downhearted, grim, low-toned, low-pitched, depleted, crushed, upset, abject, gloomy, embarrassed, depressed, busted, confused, low-spirited, humiliated
(especially of promises or contracts) having been violated or disregarded
"broken (or unkept) promises"; "broken contracts"
broken, broken in(adj)
tamed or trained to obey
"a horse broken to the saddle"; "this old nag is well broken in"
topographically very uneven
"broken terrain"; "rugged ground"
imperfectly spoken or written
broken, confused, disordered, upset(adj)
thrown into a state of disarray or confusion
"troops fleeing in broken ranks"; "a confused mass of papers on the desk"; "the small disordered room"; "with everything so upset"
overturned, scattered, rugged, impoverished, befuddled, at sea, upset(a), confounded, disconnected, upturned, illogical, mixed-up, unkept, bemused, disoriented, humbled, disquieted, low, lost, disjointed, unordered, disturbed, wiped out(p), disordered, bewildered, worried, baffled, garbled, crushed, upset, mazed, confused, busted, broken in, distressed, humiliated, unconnected
weakened and infirm
"broken health resulting from alcoholism"
broken, wiped out(p), impoverished(adj)
"the broken fortunes of the family"
out of working order (`busted' is an informal substitute for `broken')
"a broken washing machine"; "the coke machine is broken"; "the coke machine is busted"
"broken clouds"; "broken sunshine"
lacking a part or parts
"a broken set of encyclopedia"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
falling apart, disassembled
the glass tumbler shattered into bits as it struck the sidewalk.Submitted by acronimous on February 2, 2014
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use broken in a sentence?
We have broken the old arguments for inaction. We've proved that strong economic growth and a safer environment no longer have to conflict with one another. They can work in concert with one another.
To be a part of something, I guess, that's a question I'm still asking. ... Our kids are broken up. He was an awesome father, and just as good as a friend, and I don't understand it either.
That could have been me out there. Anybody in that union hall could have been out there, my heart is broken. I can only imagine what those guys were going through. You don't sign up to die like that.
I was helping the zoo tag butterflies when a lady came up to me and said that one of them had a broken wing and she would have to put [it] in the freezer.
Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be diving in the Red Sea, seeing some picturesque fish than broken beer bottles, but overall I generally enjoy it. And you never know.
Translations for broken
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съсипан, счупен, прекъснат, повреден, разорен, разбит, разкъсанBulgarian
- trencatCatalan, Valencian
- rozbitý, zlomenýCzech
- gået i stykkerDanish
- gebrochen, kaputt, gestrichelt, unfair, zerstörtGerman
- σκισμένο, άφραγκος, σπασμένος, σπαστά, κομμένος, χαλασμένοςGreek
- rompita, difektita, disrompitaEsperanto
- quebrado, rotoSpanish
- خراب, شکسته شدهPersian
- puhki, rikki, hajalla, rikkinäinen, pilvisyys, murteellinen, murtunut, surkea, rahaton, murrettu, ratkaiseva, katkennut, katkoviivainen, epäkunnossaFinnish
- coupé, pété, traitillé, fracturé, brisé, fauché, discontinu, petit-nègre, fragmenté, approximatif, niqué, cassé, buggé, rompuFrench
- bristeScottish Gaelic
- quebrado, crebadoGalician
- टूटा हुआHindi
- անսարք, փչացածArmenian
- 割れた, 壊れたJapanese
- сынган, жараланган, талкаланган, алсыз, жарылган, чарчаган, бузулган, шалдыраган, бузук, иштебеген, жеңилгенKyrgyz
- whakatorouka, whati, pūkani, pakaru, pūkanikaniMāori
- gepluimd, defect, kaduuk, verbijzeld, gebroken, kapot, verbroken, gekraakt, afgebroken, geknakt, opengereten, blutDutch
- gått i stykkerNorwegian
- połamany, złamanyPolish
- quebrado, estragado, tracejado, destruído, fraturado, duro, partidoPortuguese
- rupt, frânt, spartRomanian
- slomljen, razbijenSerbo-Croatian
- zlomljen, pokvarjenSlovene
- bruten, brusten, trasig, mulen, pankSwedish
- kırık, bozukTurkish
- bị hỏngVietnamese
Get even more translations for broken »
Find a translation for the broken synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)