a reproduction of a written record (e.g. of a legal or school record)
a thing made to be similar or identical to another thing
"she made a copy of the designer dress"; "the clone was a copy of its ancestor"
copy, written matter(noun)
matter to be printed; exclusive of graphical materials
material suitable for a journalistic account
"catastrophes make good copy"
copy down as is
"The students were made to copy the alphabet over and over"
imitate, copy, simulate(verb)
reproduce someone's behavior or looks
"The mime imitated the passers-by"; "Children often copy their parents or older siblings"
reproduce or make an exact copy of
"replicate the cell"; "copy the genetic information"
make a replica of
"copy that drawing"; "re-create a picture by Rembrandt"
To produce an object identical to a given object.
Please copy these reports for me
To place a copy of an object in memory for later use.
First copy the files, and then paste them in another directory.
Receive a transmission successfully.
Do you copy?
The output of copywriters, who are employed to write material which encourages consumers to buy goods or services.
The text of newspaper articles.
Submit all copy to the appropriate editor.
A school work pad.
Tim got in trouble for forgetting his maths copy.
A printed edition of a book or magazine.
Have you seen the latest copy of Newsweek yet?
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A copy is as nearly like the original as the copyist has power to make it; a duplicate is exactly like the original; a carbon copy of a typewritten document must be a duplicate; we may have an inaccurate copy, but never an inaccurate duplicate. A facsimile is like the original in appearance; a duplicate is the same as the original in substance and effect; a facsimile of the Declaration of Independence is not a duplicate. A facsimile of a key might be quite useless; a duplicate will open the lock. A counterpart exactly corresponds to another object, but perhaps without design, while a copy is intentional. An imitation is always thought of as inferior to the original; as, an imitation of Milton. A replica is a copy of a work of art by the maker of the original. In law, a copy of an instrument has in itself no authority; the signatures, as well as other matters, may be copied; a duplicate is really an original, containing the same provisions and signed by the same persons, so that it may have in all respects the same force and effect; a transcript is an official copy, authenticated by the signature of the proper officer, and by the seal of the appropriate court. While strictly there could be but one duplicate, the word is now extended to an indefinite number of exact copies. Reproduction is chiefly applied to living organisms.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
transcript, reproduction, transcription, replica, replication, facsimile, duplicate, pasticcio, counterpart, counterfeit, imitation, apograph, estreat, exemplification, protocol, porotype, pattern, model, original, example, precedent, manuscript
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use copy in a sentence?
Their silence is telling ; they really have no substantive defense to the infringement claim, a jury will plainly see that the infringing Old Dubai Frame is an illegal copy of Fernando's award-winning design. Such blatant misappropriation by the Dubai Municipality and ThyssenKrupp is not just a clear violation of copyright law -- Dubai Municipality is Dubai Municipality to artists and architects worldwide.
I can't even begin to explain the impact she had on me, she brought joy wherever she went. She had a personality no one could ever copy, she was really just special.
The primacy of the word, basis of the human psyche, that has in our age been used for mind-bending persuasion and brain-washing pulp, disgraced by Gobbles and debased by advertising copy, remains a force for freedom that flies out between all bars.
Information Wants To Be Free. Information also wants to be expensive. Information wants to be free because it has become so cheap to distribute, copy, and recombine---too cheap to meter. It wants to be expensive because it can be immeasurably valuable to the recipient. That tension will not go away.
I gave the original disk to him and in a sense swore myself to secrecy because I had quietly made a copy for myself, it’s my picture, it’s my art, and it’s my intellectual property. I owned it and I wanted to keep it.
Translations for copy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- نسخة, انتسخ, نسخArabic
- күсермә, данаBashkir
- брой, копие, екземпляр, материал за набиране, копирам, подражавамBulgarian
- còpia, copiarCatalan, Valencian
- rozmnoženina, kopie, kopírovatCzech
- copi, efelychu, copïoWelsh
- kopi, eksemplar, efterligne, kopiereDanish
- Kopie, empfangen, nachmachen, kapieren, verstanden, kopierenGerman
- αντίτυπο, κακέκτυπο, αντίγραφο, πλαστογραφώ, αντιγράφω, μιμούμαιGreek
- kopio, kopiiEsperanto
- copia, ejemplar, copiar, recibir, imitarSpanish
- رونوشت, کپی, کپی کردن, رونویسیPersian
- kappale, raakateksti, teksti, vihko, jäljitelmä, copy, mainosteksti, jäljennös, kopio, numero, jäljitellä, jäljentää, kopioida, vastaanottaa, kopsataFinnish
- copie, exemplaire, copier, recevoir, imiterFrench
- copaidh, lethbhreac, ath-sgrìobh, dèan lethbhreacScottish Gaelic
- copia, copiarGalician
- חיקה, הכין עותקHebrew
- प्रति, प्रतिलिपिHindi
- szám, másolat, kópia, példány, vesz, utánoz, fogad, másolHungarian
- copia, replica, ricevere, copiare, imitareItalian
- コピー, 複写, 写すJapanese
- 모사, 複寫하다, 복사Korean
- tiru, terima, salinMalay
- kopie, editie, kopij, nabootsing, namaak, afschrift, naäpen, nabootsen, kopiëren, ontvangen, nadoenDutch
- motta, kopiereNorwegian
- egzemplarz, kopia, udawać, podwajać, odbierać, naśladować, kopiować, KopiujPolish
- réplica, cópia, exemplar, copiar, receber, imitarPortuguese
- copie, duplicat, copia, imitaRomanian
- рукопись, копия, экземпляр, текст, материал, подделка, дубликат, понимать, принимать, дублировать, принять, подражать, копироватьRussian
- kopija, duplikat, preslikaSerbo-Croatian
- kopija, duplikat, kopirati, razmnoževati, prekopirati, razmnožitiSlovene
- nummer, kopia, motta, kopiera, mottaga, härmaSwedish
Get even more translations for copy »
Find a translation for the copy synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)