current, electric current(noun)
a flow of electricity through a conductor
"the current was measured in amperes"
a steady flow of a fluid (usually from natural causes)
"the raft floated downstream on the current"; "he felt a stream of air"; "the hose ejected a stream of water"
stream, flow, current(adj)
dominant course (suggestive of running water) of successive events or ideas
"two streams of development run through American history"; "stream of consciousness"; "the flow of thought"; "the current of history"
occurring in or belonging to the present time
"current events"; "the current topic"; "current negotiations"; "current psychoanalytic theories"; "the ship's current position"
The part of a fluid that moves continuously in a certain direction.
The time rate of flow of electric charge.
A tendency or a course of events.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
That is authentic which is true to the facts; that is genuine which is true to its own claims; as, authentic history; genuine money.
A 'genuine' work is one written by the author whose name it bears; an 'authentic' work is one which relates truthfully the matters of which it treats. For example, the apocryphal Gospel of St. Thomas is neither 'genuine' nor 'authentic.' It is not 'genuine,' for St. Thomas did not write it; it is not 'authentic,' for its contents are mainly fables and lies.
TrenchOn the Study of Words lect. vi, p. 189. [ W. J. Widdleton]
Authentic is, however, used by reputable writers as synonymous with genuine, tho usually where genuineness carries a certain authority. We speak of accepted conclusions, certain evidence, current money, genuine letters, a legitimate conclusion or legitimate authority, original manuscripts, real value, received interpretation, sure proof, a true statement, a trustworthy witness, a veritable discovery.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use current in a sentence?
Many folks find it easy to do the maximum standard for the current test, this new test is gender and age neutral. I cannot max this test.
My advice on Qasem Soleimani -RSB- was correct in 2015 as was my plan for 2018 for rationalization in Afghanistan, the President knows the current Afghan paradigm is fatally flawed. I hope The President soon listens to different voices there too.
The Islamic Republic's current foreign policy is that they want to advance the nuclear negotiations and reach a result, they don't want to give an excuse to other countries to link them to a particular incident. After the attacks, there was widespread condemnation around the world so they showed solidarity with this.
This is a clearly a very unusual event and the satellite imagery and eyewitness videos are showing a number of unusual characteristics that will take months to work out, no tsunami warning system I know of can handle multiple shocks or landslides as it is just too physically and computationally complicated for current technology.
There is a flow to this lake, even with that current, wherever she went down, they're confident that that's where she will be found.
Translations for current
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- جارٍ, تيارArabic
- общоприет, ход, сегашен, струя, текущ, токBulgarian
- corrent, actual, riuCatalan, Valencian
- proud, současný, aktuálníCzech
- nuværende, aktuelDanish
- gegenwärtig, Strom, StrömungGerman
- ρεύμα, τωρινός, εντάση, τρέχων, παρώνGreek
- fluo, nuntempaEsperanto
- actual, corrienteSpanish
- جریان، جاری, کنونیPersian
- sähkövirta, virta, nykyinen, tämänhetkinen, suuntaus, käypä, juokseva, ajankohtainenFinnish
- courant, actuelFrench
- sruthScottish Gaelic
- áram, aktuális, jelenlegiHungarian
- corrente, attualeItalian
- 電流, 当座, 現在, 現行, 流れJapanese
- flumen, cursus, aestus, currentLatin
- tėkmė, srovė, dabartinis, eiga, einamasisLithuanian
- esošs, strāva, gaita, straume, pašreizējsLatvian
- actueel, huidige, stroming, aktueel, stroom, huidig, aktueleDutch
- straum, straumstyrkeNorwegian Nynorsk
- nåværende, strøm, aktuell, strømstyrke, gjeldendeNorwegian
- aktualny, prąd, bieżącyPolish
- actual, atual, corrente, em cursoPortuguese
- mers, șuvoi, curs, curent, manieră, fluxRomanian
- ток, текущий, нынешний, течение, поток, современный, ходRussian
- súčasný, prúd, tokSlovak
- strömning, gångbar, gällande, ström, tendens, innevarande, aktuell, nuvarande, riktningSwedish
- కరెంటు, ఇటీవలి, ప్రవాహంTelugu
- hiện hànhVietnamese
Get even more translations for current »
Find a translation for the current synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)