current, electric current(noun)
a flow of electricity through a conductor
"the current was measured in amperes"
a steady flow of a fluid (usually from natural causes)
"the raft floated downstream on the current"; "he felt a stream of air"; "the hose ejected a stream of water"
stream, flow, current(adj)
dominant course (suggestive of running water) of successive events or ideas
"two streams of development run through American history"; "stream of consciousness"; "the flow of thought"; "the current of history"
occurring in or belonging to the present time
"current events"; "the current topic"; "current negotiations"; "current psychoanalytic theories"; "the ship's current position"
The part of a fluid that moves continuously in a certain direction.
The time rate of flow of electric charge.
A tendency or a course of events.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
That is authentic which is true to the facts; that is genuine which is true to its own claims; as, authentic history; genuine money.
A 'genuine' work is one written by the author whose name it bears; an 'authentic' work is one which relates truthfully the matters of which it treats. For example, the apocryphal Gospel of St. Thomas is neither 'genuine' nor 'authentic.' It is not 'genuine,' for St. Thomas did not write it; it is not 'authentic,' for its contents are mainly fables and lies.
TrenchOn the Study of Words lect. vi, p. 189. [ W. J. Widdleton]
Authentic is, however, used by reputable writers as synonymous with genuine, tho usually where genuineness carries a certain authority. We speak of accepted conclusions, certain evidence, current money, genuine letters, a legitimate conclusion or legitimate authority, original manuscripts, real value, received interpretation, sure proof, a true statement, a trustworthy witness, a veritable discovery.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use current in a sentence?
Given the current market instability, I will not bring forward our budget earlier than April. We need all the information we can obtain before finalizing our decisions.
The contrast between today's verdict and (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's) conclusion that there are 'no risks to public health from the current registered uses of glyphosate' could not be more stark.
Banks can draw down on all available capital buffers starting with any additional capital buffer held above their regulatory buffers, where capital buffers need to be restored this will be a gradual process and the PRA will not, in general, expect banks to restore their capital buffers in full until a significant time after the end of the current stress.
The current global coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has made it impossible at this time to predict the scale of the outbreak during the dates of the concert in April.
The third phase of E&P spending reductions that we are currently experiencing will have a significant impact on our earnings per share in the current and coming quarters.
Translations for current
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- جارٍ, تيارArabic
- общоприет, ход, сегашен, струя, текущ, токBulgarian
- corrent, actual, riuCatalan, Valencian
- proud, současný, aktuálníCzech
- nuværende, aktuelDanish
- gegenwärtig, Strom, StrömungGerman
- ρεύμα, τωρινός, εντάση, τρέχων, παρώνGreek
- fluo, nuntempaEsperanto
- actual, corrienteSpanish
- جریان، جاری, کنونیPersian
- sähkövirta, virta, nykyinen, tämänhetkinen, suuntaus, käypä, juokseva, ajankohtainenFinnish
- courant, actuelFrench
- sruthScottish Gaelic
- áram, aktuális, jelenlegiHungarian
- corrente, attualeItalian
- 電流, 当座, 現在, 現行, 流れJapanese
- flumen, cursus, aestus, currentLatin
- tėkmė, srovė, dabartinis, eiga, einamasisLithuanian
- esošs, strāva, gaita, straume, pašreizējsLatvian
- actueel, huidige, stroming, aktueel, stroom, huidig, aktueleDutch
- straum, straumstyrkeNorwegian Nynorsk
- nåværende, strøm, aktuell, strømstyrke, gjeldendeNorwegian
- aktualny, prąd, bieżącyPolish
- actual, atual, corrente, em cursoPortuguese
- mers, șuvoi, curs, curent, manieră, fluxRomanian
- ток, текущий, нынешний, течение, поток, современный, ходRussian
- súčasný, prúd, tokSlovak
- strömning, gångbar, gällande, ström, tendens, innevarande, aktuell, nuvarande, riktningSwedish
- కరెంటు, ఇటీవలి, ప్రవాహంTelugu
- hiện hànhVietnamese
Get even more translations for current »
Find a translation for the current synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)