Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
dash, elan, flair, panache, stylenoun
distinctive and stylish elegance
"he wooed her with the confident dash of a cavalry officer"
a quick run
a footrace run at top speed
"he is preparing for the 100-yard dash"
a punctuation mark (-) used between parts of a compound word or between the syllables of a word when the word is divided at the end of a line of text
the longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code
the act of moving with great haste
"he made a dash for the door"
dart, dash, scoot, scud, flash, shootverb
run or move very quickly or hastily
"She dashed into the yard"
bourgeon, winkle, shoot, swank, burgeon forth, scud, frighten away, sprout, hit, crash, film, flash, smash, wink, rack, take, show off, pullulate, fool, fleet, flutter, scare off, flaunt, scare away, buck, scoot, fool away, ostentate, fritter, dissipate, dart, flit, blink, pall, frivol away, daunt, fritter away, charge, inject, germinate, scare, shoot down, snap, photograph, blast, spud, frighten off, pip, tear, twinkle
break into pieces, as by striking or knocking over
"Smash a plate"
scare off, ruin, shoot, demolish, scoot, pall, frighten away, blast, flash, scare, crush, bang up, bankrupt, break, smash up, daunt, scud, nail, scare away, crash, boom, frighten off, dart, smash
hurl or thrust violently
"He dashed the plate against the wall"; "Waves were dashing against the rock"
barge in, scare off, go down, shoot, scoot, pall, doss down, frighten away, flash, gate-crash, scare, break apart, doss, daunt, scud, break up, ram, scare away, crash, frighten off, dart, smash
destroy or break
"dashed ambitions and hopes"
daunt, dash, scare off, pall, frighten off, scare away, frighten away, scareverb
cause to lose courage
"dashed by the refusal"
weary, dull, shoot, scoot, pall, cloy, flash, fatigue, scare, fright, affright, scare off, frighten, tire, frighten away, scud, jade, die, become flat, scare away, crash, daunt, frighten off, dart, smash
add an enlivening or altering element to
"blue paint dashed with white"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use dash in a sentence?
What a man can do and suffer is unknown to himself till some occasion presents itself which draws out the hidden power. Just as one sees not in the water of an unruffled pond the fury and roar with which it can dash down a steep rock without injury to itself, or how high it is capable of rising; or as little as one can suspect the latent heat in ice-cold water.
The only time they matter is when you try to get people to give you money and they go, well, can you win? That's the only time they really matter, it's just hard work and you can't pay attention to all the flash and dash that's out there.
It’s a perfect storm of isolationism, muscular nationalism, with a dash of pragmatism and realism.
Bertha slithered out from under the dash while the owner [was] driving the van to an event. The owner felt tugging on the seat belt. When he looked down, there was Bertha, she was well hidden under the dash even though the van was thoroughly searched.
Giving concession to the Iranian regime will embolden them to kill their own people, to wage terror in the region, and rapidly dash to a nuclear bomb, i urge the Biden administration to quickly change course with Iran and pay attention to what over 250 bipartisan House members said in H.Res.118, and that is ‘ we stand with the people of Iran who are continuing to hold legitimate and peaceful protests against an oppressive and corrupt regime. ’ Iran deserves that.
Translations for dash
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شرطة, شحطة, اندفاعArabic
- тире, обезкуражавам, разбивам, спринтирам, спринт, хвърлям, напускам, втурвам се, втурванеBulgarian
- esprintar, ratlla, guióCatalan, Valencian
- ystrempiau, ystrempWelsh
- παύλα, έφοδος, μακρόν, εξόρμησηGreek
- sprinti, sprintoEsperanto
- frustrar, hacer rapidamente, salpicar, pizca, arrojar, guión largo, romperse, lanzar, gota, raya, romper, lanzarseSpanish
- خط تیرهPersian
- syöksähtää, hutaista, murskaantua, pirskottaa, tilkka, spurtti, rikkoa, pinkaista, ajatusviiva, paiskata, pinkaisu, viiva, rientää, syöksyä, murskata, vaipua, samperi, helkkariFinnish
- trait, sprint, se précipiter, ta, soupçon, tiretFrench
- leum, sgrìob, deannScottish Gaelic
- kötőjel, gondolatjelHungarian
- linea, saltare, pizzico, scatto, spruzzo, lineetta, goccioItalian
- ダッシュ, 疾走Japanese
- de latibulis surrexissentLatin
- црта, тиреMacedonian
- koppelteken, snel afhaspelen, scheutje, sprinten, verwoesten, sprint, streepje, snel afmakenDutch
- kropla, lecieć, pauza, myślnik, półpauza, kreska, sprint, spadaćPolish
- бросать, расхолаживать, швырять, бросок, тире, приводить в уныние, разрушать, разбивать, нестись, брызгать, побрызгать, мчаться, расхолодить, бросить, швырнуть, спринт, привести в уныние, разрушить, разбитьRussian
- sprinta, jaga (iväg), rusa, sno (iväg), störta (iväg), spurtaSwedish
- kısa çizgiTurkish
- dấu gạch ngangVietnamese
Get even more translations for dash »
Find a translation for the dash synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)