the legal dissolution of a marriage
disassociate, dissociate, divorce, disunite, disjoint(verb)
part; cease or break association with
"She disassociated herself from the organization when she found out the identity of the president"
divorce, split up(verb)
get a divorce; formally terminate a marriage
"The couple divorced after only 6 months"
To legally dissolve a marriage between two people.
A ship captain can marry couples, but cannot divorce them.
To end one's own marriage in this way.
Lucy divorced Steve when she discovered that he had been unfaithful.
To separate something that was connected.
The radical group voted to divorce itself from the main faction and start an independent movement.
To obtain a legal divorce.
Edna and Simon divorced last year; he got the house, and she retained the business.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use divorce in a sentence?
I know that filing for divorce and filing this motion will enrage him, i know he will retaliate by trying to harm me in some way.
Tell the truth, if I was him, I would divorce my wife, give her all my money and then I would go do a deposition. I would light one of [those] three-hour cigars. I'd have some wine and maybe a Quaalude, and I would just go off, because I don't believe that he was raping. I believe he was in relationships with all of them, and then he's like, 'You know what? It's 78. It don't work like that no more. I can't get it up for any of y'all. Bye, b**ches,' and then they're like, 'Oh, really? Rape!'.
If you have kids, you should absolutely not get a divorce because it’s never better the next time, it’s the same thing over and over again, except now you don’t have a family any more. It’s awful for everyone, especially the children.
If the common, real reason behind all cases of divorce, break-up and separation is made open publicly for everyone, then perhaps every man will dread even to befriend woman forget about getting married.
The good news is that we know a fair amount about the protective factors that reduce this risk, when divorce is followed by a new family structure in which parents have high quality relationships with their children, children spend sufficient time with each parent so their relationships can be meaningful and children are not directly or indirectly exposed to conflict between the parents, children can be resilient and thrive despite the stress of divorce.
Translations for divorce
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- طلاق, أطلق, تطليقArabic
- развод, разделям, разрив, разделяне, развеждам се, развеждамBulgarian
- divorciar, divorciCatalan, Valencian
- rozvést, rozvodCzech
- scheiden, Ehescheidung, ScheidungGerman
- διαζύγιο, χωρίζω, χωρισμός, παίρνω διαζύγιοGreek
- divorco, eksgeedziĝoEsperanto
- divorciarse, divorcio, divorciarSpanish
- erota, ero, avioero, erottaa, erotteluFinnish
- divorce, divorcerFrench
- sgaradh-pòsaidhScottish Gaelic
- divorcio, divorciar, divorciarseGalician
- גירושים, התגרשHebrew
- तलाक़, तलाक, talaakHindi
- elválik, válás, válik, elválás, elválaszt, szétválasztHungarian
- ապահարզան, բաժանել, ամուսնալուծել, անջատում, անջատել, բաժանում, բաժանվել, խզում, ամուսնալուծվել, ամուսնալուծությունArmenian
- desmariajo, divorcigar, divorco, divorcarIdo
- divorzio, divorziareItalian
- 離婚する, 離婚, 離婚させるJapanese
- ವಿಚ್ orce ೇದನKannada
- 離婚, 이혼Korean
- ScheedungLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- tokorau, tokoMāori
- раздвојува, раскинување, одвојување, се разведува, раскин, разведува, одделува, раздвојување, се раздвојува, одвојува, развод, одделувањеMacedonian
- वेगळेहोणे, घटस्फोट, काडीमोडMarathi
- ałtsʼááʼítʼaashNavajo, Navaho
- divisão, divorciar-se, divórcio, separar, separação, divorciarPortuguese
- despărți, despărțire, divorța, divorțRomanian
- разводиться, разрыв, отделиться, развести, отделение, развестись, разводить, расторжение брака, отделяться, разводRussian
- brakorazvod, razvodSerbo-Croatian
- skiljande, skilsmässa, skilja åt, skilja, äktenskapsskillnadSwedish
- การหย่าร้าง, การหย่าThai
- boşamak, boşanmak, boşanmaTurkish
- ly hôn, 離婚, ly dịVietnamese
Get even more translations for divorce »
Find a translation for the divorce synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)