emptying something accomplished by allowing liquid to run out of it
tube inserted into a body cavity (as during surgery) to remove unwanted material
drain, drainpipe, waste pipe(noun)
a pipe through which liquid is carried away
a gradual depletion of energy or resources
"a drain on resources"; "a drain of young talent by emigration"
drain, run out(verb)
flow off gradually
"The rain water drains into this big vat"
deplete of resources
"The exercise class drains me of energy"
empty of liquid; drain the liquid from
"We drained the oil tank"
enfeeble, debilitate, drain(verb)
"Life in the camp drained him"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use drain in a sentence?
Fear is nothing except a drain of energy and Not a power unto itself. Trust in yourself, For therein lies the true power.
I think Arizona is about a couple of election cycles behind Nevada in going blue, if the Republican Party wants to continue to push in the direction of being anti-education, and they want to be the party of... the bigoted, then they are going to go down the drain in the Southwestern US Senate, because that's not what Southwestern US Senate is. It's a very culturally diverse place that values education and is going in the opposite direction. You can see where [ the politics ] are going.
There is a cascading effect : the financial drain for the older person’s care means fewer resources not only for the caregiver but also for the younger generation’s education and future prospects, the immediate need for assistance is so compelling that future needs are often disregarded.
He will learn a lesson if I win, you shouldn't blindly go out and endorse or cast doubts or favoritism on anybody unless you actually look at their record and not depend on the people who are running the swamp you are trying to drain.
Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., said Trumps payroll tax holiday could drain the Social Security trust fund and said some states can not afford the 25 percent unemployment match, especially since the GOP has opposed additional money to state and local governments. Donald Trump is trying to distract from Donald Trump failure to extend the $ 600 federal boost for 30 million unemployed workers by issuing illegal executive orders, this scheme is a classic Donald Trump con : play-acting at leadership while robbing people of the support they desperately need.
Translations for drain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- отводнявам, водосток, утечка, изтичам, оттичам се, пресушавам, канал, разходBulgarian
- afløb, dræne, bortlede, tappe, udtørre, spild, dræn, rende, tømmeDanish
- Abfluss, ablassenGerman
- drenar, tubo abierto, desaguar, desagüe, drenajeSpanish
- viemäri, rasite, kuseminen, tyhjentyä, kuluttaa, viedä, dreeni, nielu, tyhjentää, kuivattaa, voimatFinnish
- drainer, essorer, drain, gouffre, déshydrater, hémorragieFrench
- scolare, scolo, drenareItalian
- გამოფიტვა, მილიGeorgian
- awakari, waikari, awakeri, wāra, waikeriMāori
- afvoer, leeg laten lopen, leeglopen, ontwateren, uitputten, drainerenDutch
- osuszyć, drenażPolish
- ralo, drenar, secar, dreno, escoarPortuguese
- conductă, goli, scurge, canal de scurgere, asanaRomanian
- спусти́ть, осуша́ть, слива́ть, осуши́ть, истощи́ть, сток, кана́л, протека́ть, слив, ссаньё, уте́чка, сса́чка, сочи́ться, оттека́ть, выка́чивать, спуска́ть, вы́качать, слить, истоща́ть, дрена́ж, водосто́к, водоотво́д, моче́ние, течь, проса́чиваться, у́быль, расхо́дRussian
- odtok, izsušitiSlovene
- спусти́ти, вису́шувати, спуска́ти, висна́жуватиUkrainian
Get even more translations for drain »
Find a translation for the drain synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)