Synonyms for flight
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word flight.
English Synonyms and Antonyms1.0 / 1 vote
A career was originally the ground for a race, or, especially, for a knight's charge in tournament or battle; whence career was early applied to the charge itself.
If you will use the lance, take ground for your career.... The four horsemen met in full career.
ScottQuentin Durward ch. 14, p. 194. [ D. F. & CO.]
In its figurative use career signifies some continuous and conspicuous work, usually a life-work, and most frequently one of honorable achievement. Compare BUSINESS.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms2.0 / 2 votes
Princeton's WordNet2.0 / 1 vote
a formation of aircraft in flight
an instance of traveling by air
"flying was still an exciting adventure for him"
flight, flight of stairs, flight of stepsnoun
a stairway (set of steps) between one floor or landing and the next
the act of escaping physically
"he made his escape from the mental hospital"; "the canary escaped from its cage"; "his flight was an indication of his guilt"
an air force unit smaller than a squadron
passing above and beyond ordinary bounds
"a flight of fancy"; "flights of rhetoric"; "flights of imagination"
the path followed by an object moving through space
a flock of flying birds
a scheduled trip by plane between designated airports
"I took the noon flight to Chicago"
shoot a bird in flight
fly in a flock
"flighting wild geese"
decorate with feathers
"fledge an arrow"
Dictionary of English Synonymes2.0 / 1 vote
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words3.5 / 2 votes
Words popularity by usage frequency
Airline staff have been given a lot more power and have become policemen in the skies since 9-11, i think many are abusing that authority. Most of your rights and company policies—including when you are entitled to compensation for your inconvenience— are spelled out in the conditions of carriage which can be found on an airline’s website. The lengthy terms are filled with jargon and legalese, though they’re still worth eyeballing to understand the basics. Here are key reasons why an airline can bump you or otherwise make travel difficult for you: 1. The airline priced tickets for this flight too low.If a carrier realizes through its electronic reservation system that a non-stop flight fills too fast, that could indicate the ticket fares are too cheap. In such a case, your flight could be switched from a non-stop to a connecting flight. 2. The air marshal needs your seat. Because air marshals protect the public, they are sometimes seated in first class without prior warning. If one of them shows up and needs your seat, you can be bumped, reassigned to another seat, or put on the next available flight. And you won’t even get an explanation; the government doesn’t want you to blab that there’s an air marshal on board. 3. The carrier abandons the route. Consolidation within the industry has prompted some airlines to cut back on the number of available flights. Some, such as Allegiant Air and Frontier, have also abandoned routes that are no longer profitable. An airline should be required to put you on another carrier for the price you paid, says Hobica. But that’s not the case.
The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.
But wherefore thou alone Wherefore with theeCame not all hell broke loose Is pain to themLess pain, less to be fled, or thou than theyLess hardy to endure Courageous chief,The first in flight from pain, hadst thou allegedTo thy deserted host this cause of flight,Thou surely hadst not come sole fugitive.
Unity 22 was a safe and successful test flight that adhered to our flight procedures and training protocols. When the vehicle encountered high altitude winds which changed the trajectory, the pilots and systems monitored the trajectory to ensure it remained within mission parameters, although the flight's ultimate trajectory deviated from our initial plan, it was a controlled and intentional flight path that allowed Unity 22 to successfully reach space and land safely at our Spaceport in New Mexico. At no time were passengers and crew put in any danger as a result of this change in trajectory.
6. The smelly kid Some parents feel the need to use the entire plane as a diaper. Gross, but true : A child reportedly pooping on a plane seat on a Delta flight last year( the parents covered the seat with newspapers — how thoughtful). And it’s not unusual for babies to drop a( stink) bomb or two during the flight. ( If this emotional support pig can get kicked off a plane for crapping in the aisle, should little humans, too ?) 7. The chatty kid Chatty Cathy is generally one of the most annoying passengers on a flight but what if Cathy is six years old ? While adorable and curious, she’s probably the last person you want conversation with, because of course she continues to ask the same question in different ways. Or maybe she’s having a loud conversation with her doll. In fact, several years ago, a kid actually got kicked off a plane for being too chatty. According to the Associated Press, Kate Penland’s then 19-month-old son, Garren, started saying ‘ Bye, bye plane, ’ before takeoff — and would n’t stop. When the other passengers started complaining, Kate Penland got mad and eventually Kate Penland and Kate Penland son were asked to leave. That seems a little extreme. Maybe just give the kid a pack of pretzels( peanuts are too risky) and offer him a window seat. 8. The ultimate nightmare kid It’s fair to say no one wants to sit next to a kid who kicks your seat, complains, talks up a storm and manages to poop themselves all on one flight. But as they say in airline business, the sky’s the limit. Passengers who survive the ultimate nightmare child passenger deserve a medal. Actor Liam Hemsworth recently admitted on The Ellen DeGeneres Show that Actor Liam Hemsworth own three kids were those kids on a recent flight from London to Australia( a 30-hour trip). The Ellen DeGeneres Show was kind of like the trip from hell, they were all sick and literally took turns to scream. One would kinda do it and then look over and be like, ‘ I ’m done, you want a turn ? ’ ' Yep, Wahhhh ! ’ The whole cabin, yeah, wanted to kick us off … I don’t know what people expect though — you’re gon na put them in the suitcase or something ?
Translations for flight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تحليق, فِرار, طيرانArabic
- ято, поле́т, бя́гство, стълбище, летенеBulgarian
- vol, fuga, fugidaCatalan, Valencian
- útěk, let, úprk, patro, rameno, hejnoCzech
- Flug, Flucht, TreppenlaufGerman
- φόβος, πτήση, φυγή, σμήνοςGreek
- huida, vuelo, tramo, fugaSpanish
- parvi, lentorata, portaikko, paperilennokki, portaat, lento, raput, kerros, vakain, lentäminen, sulka, pako, lentue, lennonFinnish
- fuite, volée, volFrench
- itealaich, staidhre, ealtScottish Gaelic
- voo, fuga, fuxidaGalician
- טיסה, טִיסָה, פְּרִיחָה, עִיפָה, עוֹפְפוּתHebrew
- menekülés, repülés, járatHungarian
- թռիչք, փախուստ, չվերթArmenian
- rampa, piano, fuga, volo, scalinata, stormoItalian
- 便, 飛行, 飛, フライトJapanese
- volatus, fuga, planities, agmen, turma, fugamLatin
- skrydis, skridimasLithuanian
- lidošana, lidojumsLatvian
- kaireretanga, rerengaMāori
- ле́тање, јато, лет, бегствоMacedonian
- vlucht, vliegenDutch
- lot, ucieczka, stadoPolish
- fuga, voo, fugida, lance, bando, andarPortuguese
- sgol, svoulRomansh
- zburare, zbor, fugăRomanian
- пролёт, полёт, перелёт, рейс, побе́г, стая, бе́гствоRussian
- volu, boluSardinian
- flyg, flight, flyktSwedish
- полі́т, рейсUkrainian
- פֿלי, קורסYiddish
Get even more translations for flight »
Find a translation for the flight synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"flight." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 3 Dec. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/flight>.