the withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
weather cold enough to cause freezing
an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement
"a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
fixing (of prices or wages etc) at a particular level
"a freeze on hiring"
freeze, stop dead(verb)
stop moving or become immobilized
"When he saw the police car he froze"
change to ice
"The water in the bowl froze"
"I could freeze to death in this office when the air conditioning is turned on"
cause to freeze
"Freeze the leftover food"
stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it
"Suspend the aid to the war-torn country"
be very cold, below the freezing point
"It is freezing in Kalamazoo"
freeze, freeze out, freeze down(verb)
change from a liquid to a solid when cold
"Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit"
freeze, block, immobilize, immobilise(verb)
prohibit the conversion or use of (assets)
"Blocked funds"; "Freeze the assets of this hostile government"
pin, block up, lug, trap, halt, obturate, suspend, jam, block off, close up, blank out, obstruct, deflect, parry, embarrass, kibosh, draw a blank, freeze down, hinder, impede, block, forget, freeze out, immobilize, stop, stuff, stymy, stop dead, blockade, immobilise, bar, occlude, barricade, choke up, stymie
anesthetize by cold
suddenly behave coldly and formally
"She froze when she saw her ex-husband"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use freeze in a sentence?
There’s not much consumers can do, police don’t have time, the FBI won’t care unless it’s a lot of money or kids involved and then they are overwhelmed. The best you can do is put credit freeze and a hold on things and hold on tight. This is going to get worse.
A credit freeze may not be the best thing to do if you're applying for a home or auto loan, or looking for different types of credit cards.
I am drawing with my hand on this screen, and at the same time on their screen, before 5G, we had to freeze the image to draw, but the surgeon is moving on and that is not ideal.
Any water that remains on the road will freeze into a sheet of ice and make conditions quite hazardous.
We can freeze rulings during the talks period as well as take any other measures based on consensus, but we cannot provide amnesty unless we feel the talks will succeed because you don't want to grant them amnesty only for them to pick up guns against you again.
Translations for freeze
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تلج, جمدArabic
- застивам, замразявам, замръзвам, мръзна, мразBulgarian
- skornañ, sonnañBreton
- gelar, congelar, glaçar, glaçada, geladaCatalan, Valencian
- zmrznout, zmrazit, mrznout, mrázCzech
- frieren, einfrieren, erstarren, gefrierenGerman
- frostigi, frostiEsperanto
- helar, congelar, heladaSpanish
- jäätää, jäädyttää, jähmettyä, pakastaa, jäätyä, pakastua, pakkasjakso, jumi, jäädytys, sulku, palkkasulkuFinnish
- geler, glacer, congelerFrench
- oighrigh, cuisnigh, téacht, reoigh, siocIrish
- reòthScottish Gaelic
- xear, conxelarGalician
- frostar, frostoIdo
- frysta, frjósaIcelandic
- congelare, gelare, ghiacciare, bloccoItalian
- 凍らせる, 凍るJapanese
- 얼어붙다, 얼리다, 얼다Korean
- conglacio, congelo, gelo, glacioLatin
- fréierenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- bevriezen, vriezen, verstijven, invriezen, bevriezing, loonstop, vastlopen, vorst, salarisstop, vorstperiodeDutch
- zamarzać, mrozić, mrózPolish
- congelar, gelarPortuguese
- chiriy, qasayQuechua
- schelentar, schelarRomansh
- congela, înghețaRomanian
- замёрзнуть, замереть, замораживать, замерзать, замирать, застывать, заморозить, застыть, морозитьRussian
- donmak, dondurmak, donmaTurkish
- заморожувати, заморожуватисяUkrainian
- Đông cứngVietnamese
Get even more translations for freeze »
Find a translation for the freeze synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)