the withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
weather cold enough to cause freezing
an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement
"a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
fixing (of prices or wages etc) at a particular level
"a freeze on hiring"
freeze, stop dead(verb)
stop moving or become immobilized
"When he saw the police car he froze"
change to ice
"The water in the bowl froze"
"I could freeze to death in this office when the air conditioning is turned on"
cause to freeze
"Freeze the leftover food"
stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it
"Suspend the aid to the war-torn country"
be very cold, below the freezing point
"It is freezing in Kalamazoo"
freeze, freeze out, freeze down(verb)
change from a liquid to a solid when cold
"Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit"
freeze, block, immobilize, immobilise(verb)
prohibit the conversion or use of (assets)
"Blocked funds"; "Freeze the assets of this hostile government"
pin, block up, lug, trap, halt, obturate, suspend, jam, block off, close up, blank out, obstruct, deflect, parry, embarrass, kibosh, draw a blank, freeze down, hinder, impede, block, forget, freeze out, immobilize, stop, stuff, stymy, stop dead, blockade, immobilise, bar, occlude, barricade, choke up, stymie
anesthetize by cold
suddenly behave coldly and formally
"She froze when she saw her ex-husband"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use freeze in a sentence?
Presidential elections freeze investors on both sides of the political spectrum, the fundamental conditions of the market are really good but there will be a headwind from the election.
Oil prices have been supported by the production freeze agreement between Russia and Saudi Arabia - Iran gave it a cautious welcome and the market wants to take this as a positive signal.
It is nearly impossible to influence the oil price long-term by freezing production as unconventional oil and gas and alternative energy may enter the market to bring down the price, the recent failed OPEC attempt to freeze production may cause grief from oil producers, but in reality even if it was successful its long term effect is doubtful.
The Saudi shift ... was predicated on the notion that people would freeze in place, but what happened was the Houthi began to take advantage of the absence of air campaign, moving not only additionally on Aden, but moving in other parts of the country.
We have ordered (the banks) to freeze the bank accounts mentioned in the (U.S.) request. Now we are taking evidence. We are receiving the bank documents. It takes time.
Translations for freeze
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تلج, جمدArabic
- застивам, замразявам, замръзвам, мръзна, мразBulgarian
- skornañ, sonnañBreton
- gelar, congelar, glaçar, glaçada, geladaCatalan, Valencian
- zmrznout, zmrazit, mrznout, mrázCzech
- frieren, einfrieren, erstarren, gefrierenGerman
- frostigi, frostiEsperanto
- helar, congelar, heladaSpanish
- jäätää, jäädyttää, jähmettyä, pakastaa, jäätyä, pakastua, pakkasjakso, jumi, jäädytys, sulku, palkkasulkuFinnish
- geler, glacer, congelerFrench
- oighrigh, cuisnigh, téacht, reoigh, siocIrish
- reòthScottish Gaelic
- xear, conxelarGalician
- frostar, frostoIdo
- frysta, frjósaIcelandic
- congelare, gelare, ghiacciare, bloccoItalian
- 凍らせる, 凍るJapanese
- 얼어붙다, 얼리다, 얼다Korean
- conglacio, congelo, gelo, glacioLatin
- fréierenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- bevriezen, vriezen, verstijven, invriezen, bevriezing, loonstop, vastlopen, vorst, salarisstop, vorstperiodeDutch
- zamarzać, mrozić, mrózPolish
- congelar, gelarPortuguese
- chiriy, qasayQuechua
- schelentar, schelarRomansh
- congela, înghețaRomanian
- замёрзнуть, замереть, замораживать, замерзать, замирать, застывать, заморозить, застыть, морозитьRussian
- donmak, dondurmak, donmaTurkish
- заморожувати, заморожуватисяUkrainian
- Đông cứngVietnamese
Get even more translations for freeze »
Find a translation for the freeze synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)