gear, gear wheel, geared wheel, cogwheel(noun)
a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
gearing, gear, geartrain, power train, train(noun)
wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed
"the fool got his tie caught in the geartrain"
gear, gear mechanism(noun)
a mechanism for transmitting motion for some specific purpose (as the steering gear of a vehicle)
gear, paraphernalia, appurtenance(verb)
equipment consisting of miscellaneous articles needed for a particular operation or sport etc.
set the level or character of
"She pitched her speech to the teenagers in the audience"
(mostly British (Scouse)) great or fantastic
a wheel with grooves (teeth) engraved on the outer circumference, such that two such devices can interlock and convey motion from one to the other.
a particular combination or choice of interlocking gears, such that a particular gear ratio is achieved.
A configuration of the transmission of an motor car so as to achieve a particular ratio of engine to axle torque
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use gear in a sentence?
They just left me. I was the starting quarterback and they just left me, one of the biggest things Kenny White taught me was to be on time and be responsible. If it weren't for the athletic director who drove past and saw me standing on the side of the road with my gear, I wouldn't have made the game.
You've still got to put those guys ahead of the other guys. They just know how to get it done, but Medvedev to me is Russian Daniil Medvedev that has the best chance of winning it right now. Russian Daniil Medvedev showed a gear that we haven't seen at the U.S. Open.
As a result of (house) searches a large quantity of computer equipment was confiscated along with communications gear, bank cards in false names, and also financial documents and significant amounts of cash confirming the illegal nature of their activity.
There is an incredibly high level of suspicion, distrust of anything that speaks of intelligence, people will look past Grenell's bravado and boastfulness as long as Richard Grenell is wearing a civilian uniform, but now, donning the spy gear and trying to convey a message about why Germany should support us on Iran or Russia or the spread of extremism is just a nonstarter.
Some are even using scuba gear, we have doctors and nurses who have been disciplined for trying to wear a mask at work. It's a situation full of conflict and confusion.
Translations for gear
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- převod, vybavení, ozubené kolo, soukolíCzech
- Zahnrad, Gangschaltung, Gang, AusrüstungGerman
- εξοπλισμός, ταχύτητα, οδοντωτός τροχός, σχέση, σύνεργαGreek
- cambio, velocidad, engranaje, marcha, equipoSpanish
- vaihteisto, ratas, varusteet, vaihde, hammasratasFinnish
- vitesse, engrenage, passer ses vitessesFrench
- gèar, cuibhle-ghèar, uidheamScottish Gaelic
- tannhjól, gírIcelandic
- cambio, ingranaggio, parafernalia, equipaggiamento, attrezzo, marcia, ingranareItalian
- גלגל שינייםHebrew
- ギア, 歯車Japanese
- брзина, опрема, запченик, преносMacedonian
- gir, utstyr, tannhjulNorwegian
- overbrenging, versnelling, tandwiel, schakelen, in een versnelling komenDutch
- tannhjul, gir, utstyrNorwegian Nynorsk
- marcha, equipamento, engrenagem, câmbio, velocidade, engrenarPortuguese
- roată dințată, schimbător de viteză, cutie de vitezeRomanian
- передача, скорость, шестерёнка, зубчатое колесо, трансмиссия, шестерня, приводRussian
- зупчаник, stepen prenosa, brzina, опрема, брзина, степен преноса, zupčanik, opremaSerbo-Croatian
- ozubené koleso, prevodSlovak
- kugghjul, utrustning, växelSwedish
Get even more translations for gear »
Find a translation for the gear synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)