regulate, regularize, regularise, order, govern(verb)
bring into conformity with rules or principles or usage; impose regulations
"We cannot regulate the way people dress"; "This town likes to regulate"
put, ordain, regularise, order, dictate, arrange, set up, say, grade, ordinate, range, influence, determine, mold, baffle, consecrate, rule, enjoin, modulate, rank, regulate, rate, tell, shape, prescribe, place, regularize
direct or strongly influence the behavior of
"His belief in God governs his conduct"
exercise authority over; as of nations
"Who is governing the country now?"
require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood
"most transitive verbs govern the accusative case in German"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Govern carries the idea of authoritative administration or some exercise of authority that is at once effective and continuous; control is effective, but may be momentary or occasional. One controls what he holds or can hold at will absolutely in check; as, a skilful horseman controls a spirited horse; a person controls his temper; we say to one who is excited, "control yourself." A person commands another when he has, or claims, the right to make that other do his will, with power of inflicting penalty if not obeyed; he controls another whom he can effectually prevent from doing anything contrary to his will; he governs one whom he actually does cause, regularly or constantly, to obey his will; a parent may command a child whom he can not govern or control. The best teachers are not greatly prone to command, but govern or control their pupils largely by other means. Command is, however, often used in the sense of securing, as well as requiring, submission or obedience, as when we speak of a commanding influence; a man commands the situation when he can shape events as he pleases; a fortress commands the region when no enemy can pass against its resistance. Govern implies the exercise of knowledge and judgment as well as power. To rule is more absolute and autocratic than to govern; to sway is to move by quiet but effectual influence; to mold is not only to influence feeling and action, but to shape character; to manage is to secure by skilful contrivance the doing of one's will by those whom one can not directly control; a wise mother, by gentle means, sways the feelings and molds the lives of her children; to be able to manage servants is an important element of good housekeeping. The word reign, once so absolute, now simply denotes that one holds the official station of sovereign in a monarchy, with or without effective power; the Queen of England reigns; the Czar of Russia both reigns and rules.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use govern in a sentence?
Remember, your prerogative is to govern, and not to serve the things of this world.
1. Steampunk socialization of personality is a carefully controlled animatronics of logic in the human psyche, in which a cyberpunk of another’s imagination is formed. 2. To understand yourself, you just need to put a small doll in the form of a clown on your hand so as not to go crazy, and on your second hand a toy sock, do not give them alternative personalities, but make them an extension of your soul to see yourself from the outside and listen to yourself. Your alternative personalities will help you understand yourself, but do not allow personalities to multiply by budding. 3. The same life every time in a new birth, the same dream, you either become a philosopher or find yourself insane, maybe we are ghosts locked in their time and everything repeats and we are holograms of memories of us, but in any case, you in a temporary trap where you need to learn one lesson: life without sins. Oblivion here is a dead loop of memory that gives a chance to rethink everything that was in your life, erasing memory as an anesthetic and antidepressant of the psyche, but oblivion prevents you from understanding a cruel joke about yourself. 4. The aphorism of philosophy is one of the many computer codes that turns into the algorithm of power over you in the subconscious. Starting to think in your own way, you disconnect from the network of global thinking and you are considered a defective crazy person whose logic algorithms whose name is deactivated are deactivated. 5. Better than money, only their lifelong dreams govern people. 6. Awareness of the name of his will and the interaction of the race of vision, a sincere world without selfishness. The reality of humanity will finally be included in the network and telephone communications of empathy. 7. The human world is a magnificent shadow theater, which demonstrates a truly brutal show. 8. Self-hypnosis stickers peel off from your brain over time. 9. The philosophy of good and light is an acupuncture of thinking, wellness acupuncture, the direction of the flow of worldview. 10. Silence makes you dumb, vulnerable and so brilliant. 11. Sleepy paralysis of laziness in the psyche of people is parasitized by fear. Whereas dreams are the levitation of the body in reality while the person is sleeping. 12. Life is like a children's dollhouse of a princess, where the whole machine form of zombies of life is visible in the palm of your hand, in this house and home and work, you are not asked for permission, you only have the inevitability and the schedule of the intended, vicious circle of the law of meanness, repeating deja vu dream samsara’s wheels like a hamster’s wheel is like a treadmill in the gym, you run to your goals, but you run on the spot. You hold your figure, that is, your body as a voodoo doll of self-deception. There is also a secret room where disputes with oneself do not cease, there are such rooms as reality, dreams, dreams. All life is a children's toy of higher powers, it is very similar to a hamster cage with pipes of illusions, it is a karmic cage of ironic humor about materialism. All this was created to understand a person, it is impossible to understand that until the end, because it will forever change depending on new and new accidents. 13. Any industry is a gas burner of angry motivation of the authorities. 14. Will is a shotgun as a very fantastic cosmo-blaster made of beautiful carved snow-white bones with an open jaw on the skull at the end. Weapons shooting energy of the spirit. 15. In this great crush of egoism, a lot of people die. 16. Reflective neurons are reflected from the neurons of other people. When approaching danger, it’s like glowing warning road signs of fear, in the pitch darkness of self-deception. All this is an empathy of fear, that very feeling when the feeling of true friendship, love, empathy in the claws of danger intensifies. 17. The pain of awareness, as if shot from a shotgun to the knee, you feel the infernal pain of insight, you feel the bloody taste of truth in your mouth. You can shout out all fear, but you will never be able to sober up from it to the end because fear is like saliva in your mouth. You are surrounded by a sound bomb, a lethal dose of the sound of laughter of the indifference of reality that will blow up the universe of mankind, you will only have a skeleton that will someday turn into a stone of eternal memory, flesh will grow flowers, and your spirit will turn into memoirs of planet earth. 18. The gloom of loneliness will give either holiness or madness. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
It is a sensible option and necessary in terms of managing risk but the elite conservatives that govern have resisted strongly despite robust public support for female succession.
With humility and honor, I tell the Colombian people that I will give all my energies to unite our country. No more divisions, i will not govern with hatred.
Why should we think upon things that are lovely? Because thinking determines life. It is a common habit to blame life upon the environment. Environment modifies life but does not govern life. The soul is stronger than its surroundings.
Translations for govern
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- bepaal, regeer, reguleer, beheer, heersAfrikaans
- governarCatalan, Valencian
- řídit, vládnout, ovládatCzech
- styre, lede, regere, herske, beherske, bestemmeDanish
- reglen, regieren, regeln, regulieren, lenkenGerman
- säätää, hallita, määrätäFinnish
- gouvèneHaitian Creole
- bepalen, beheersen, leiden, regelen, regerenDutch
- rządzić, zarządzaćPolish
- riger, regner, regnar, regerRomansh
- cârmui, dirija, reglementa, regla, regulariza, guverna, conduceRomanian
- управлять, владеть, влиять, регулировать, правитьRussian
- guvernai, guvernare, gruvennae, cuberrareSardinian
- vládnuť, riadiťSlovak
- härska, regeraSwedish
Get even more translations for govern »
Find a translation for the govern synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)