Synonyms for hail
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word hail.
English Synonyms and Antonyms4.3 / 4 votes
To accost is to speak first, to friend or stranger, generally with a view to opening conversation; greet is not so distinctly limited, since one may return another's greeting; greet and hail may imply but a passing word; greeting may be altogether silent; to hail is to greet in a loud-voiced and commonly hearty and joyous way, as appears in the expression "hail fellow, well met." To salute is to greet with special token of respect, as a soldier his commander. To apostrophize is to solemnly address some person or personified attribute apart from the audience to whom one is speaking; as, a preacher may apostrophize virtue, the saints of old, or even the Deity. To appeal is strictly to call for some form of help or support. Address is slightly more formal than accost or greet, though it may often be interchanged with them. One may address another at considerable length or in writing; he accosts orally and briefly.
Address the memorial to the legislature; the president addressed the people in an eloquent speech; he addressed an intruder with indignation.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms0.0 / 0 votes
Princeton's WordNet3.0 / 3 votes
precipitation of ice pellets when there are strong rising air currents
many objects thrown forcefully through the air
"a hail of pebbles"; "a hail of bullets"
acclaim, hail, heraldverb
"The critics hailed the young pianist as a new Rubinstein"
be a native of
"She hails from Kalamazoo"
"hail a cab"
greet enthusiastically or joyfully
precipitate as small ice particles
"It hailed for an hour"
Words popularity by usage frequency
Men hail the rising sun with glee, They love his setting glow to see, But fail to mark that every day In fragments bears their life away.
It picks up other sounds like clicks, things going wrong, thuds, hail. You can hear that on the windshield.
The main concerns right now, what we're looking at, is going to be large to very large hail, and damaging winds, the hail could easily be golf ball to baseball size if everything comes together right.
Fire, and hail; snow, and vapours; stormy wind fulfilling his word.
It's possible that someone could have lived in SoCal all of their lives and never have seen this size hail, if this area does see hail, it is the size of a dime.
Translations for hail
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- цӏер, гороAvaric
- calamarsaCatalan, Valencian
- kroupy, padat kroupy, přivolat, krupobitíCzech
- cenllysg, bwrw cenllysg, cesair, bwrw cesairWelsh
- hagl, hilDanish
- Hagel, hageln, grüßenGerman
- χαλάζι, κράζω, χαιρετώGreek
- hajli, saluti, hajloEsperanto
- pedrisco, granizo, granizar, saludar, llamarSpanish
- txingor, kazkabarBasque
- rakeet, sataa rakeita, tervehtiä, raesade, kutsuaFinnish
- héler, grêle, grêler, saluerFrench
- hagelWestern Frisian
- clach-mheallainScottish Gaelic
- pedrazo, sarabiaGalician
- ओला, पुकारनाHindi
- jégszem, jégeső esik, jégesőHungarian
- hujan batu, hujan esIndonesian
- greluno, grelarIdo
- haglél, heilsaIcelandic
- grandinare, salutare, grandine, chiamareItalian
- gijlok, terg, تهرزهKurdish
- keser, gul keserCornish
- grandō, grandinatLatin
- hukākapu, hukāwhatu, hukātara, uawhatuMāori
- град, па́ѓа град, поздра́вуваMacedonian
- hujan es, hujan batuMalay
- hagelen, begroeten, hagelDutch
- hagle, haglNorwegian
- ńlóNavajo, Navaho
- granissa, grellaOccitan
- granizo, granizar, saudar, saraivaPortuguese
- garneala, garniala, garnela, granellaRomansh
- grindina, salutaRomanian
- град, град идёт, приве́тствовать, оклика́тьRussian
- gràndhine, gràndili, gràndhile, randhinareSardinian
- гра̑д, pada grad, pozdraviti, ту̏ча, grȃd, пада град, поздравити, tȕčaSerbo-Croatian
- hagla, hell, hagelSwedish
- dolu yağmak, doluTurkish
- mưa đáVietnamese
- grälön, grälVolapük
Get even more translations for hail »
Find a translation for the hail synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"hail." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 4 Oct. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/hail>.