Synonyms for hang
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term hang.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
bent, knack, hangnoun
a special way of doing something
"he had a bent for it"; "he had a special knack for getting into trouble"; "he couldn't get the hang of it"
the way a garment hangs
"he adjusted the hang of his coat"
a gymnastic exercise performed on the rings or horizontal bar or parallel bars when the gymnast's weight is supported by the arms
be suspended or hanging
"The flag hung on the wall"
hang, hang upverb
cause to be hanging or suspended
"Hang that picture on the wall"
hang, string upverb
kill by hanging
"The murderer was hanged on Friday"
let drop or droop
"Hang one's head in shame"
hang, fall, flowverb
fall or flow in a certain way
"This dress hangs well"; "Her long black hair flowed down her back"
accrue, menstruate, shine, go down, feed, diminish, come down, strike, devolve, flow, precipitate, settle, string up, advert, light, lessen, run, cling, attend, pass, descend, come, fall, return, hang up, give ear, flux, pay heed, decrease, course, fall down
be menacing, burdensome, or oppressive
"This worry hangs on my mind"; "The cloud of suspicion hangs over her"
attend, hang, advert, pay heed, give earverb
give heed (to)
"The children in the audience attended the recital quietly"; "She hung on his every word"; "They attended to everything he said"
be suspended or poised
"Heavy fog hung over the valley"
hold on tightly or tenaciously
"hang on to your father's hands"; "The child clung to his mother's apron"
"Picasso hangs in this new wing of the museum"
prevent from reaching a verdict, of a jury
decorate or furnish with something suspended
be placed in position as by a hinge
"This cabinet door doesn't hang right!"
place in position as by a hinge so as to allow free movement in one direction
"hang a door"
suspend (meat) in order to get a gamey taste
"hang the venison for a few days"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
attach (so as to swing)
be held in fixed attention
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
I remember walking into our living room one morning and seeing my dad kneeling in front of an entire car motor, he had a small hydraulic floor crane that he had used to hang the motor. Needless to say, my mom was livid at him for bringing all of his tools into the house.
I took a helicopter to reach this very remote part of the world -- home to bears and mosquitoes -- where I could find Dickinsonia fossils with organic matter still intact, i had to hang over the edge of a cliff on ropes and dig out huge blocks of sandstone, throw them down, wash the sandstone and repeat this process until I found the fossils I was after.
I have no idea how I was able to get out of that first set and probably should have been bageled in the second and done pretty quickly in the third, as well, so I think, all in all, I was able to find a way to hang in there and make it tricky, but the polish wasn't there and Sofia was the better player in big moments today.
We have a resident hippo we call Oliver who comes out of the water at night and often sits in front of the staff tents, and a female leopard who likes to hang out around the swimming pool.
Trees loaded with fruit are bent down; the clouds when charged with fresh rain hang down near the earth: even so good men are not uplifted through prosperity. Such is the natural character of the liberal.
Translations for hang
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- вісе́ць, вешаць, паве́сіць, павісе́цьBelarusian
- бе́ся, обе́ся, вися́Bulgarian
- penjar-se, encallar-se, penjar, bloquejar, encallar, bloquejar-seCatalan, Valencian
- viset, pověsit, svěsit, oběsitCzech
- ausstellen, aufhängen, hängte, hängen, herumgammeln, schmücken, herumhängen, herumlungern, henken, dekorieren, herumdrückenGerman
- surhokigi, surglui, pendigi, ĉei, klini, frostigi, pendumiĝi, pendi, pendaĵizi, ŝvebi, pendumi, ornami, kroĉi, elmontri, umiEsperanto
- ahorcar, colgarSpanish
- دار زدن, به دار آویختن, آویزان شدنPersian
- [[roikkua]] [[hirressä]], [[joutua]] [[uhatuksi]], hengailla, ripustaa, kaatua, roikuttaa, ripustella, roikkua, tapetoida, levyttää, [[olla]] [[uhattuna]], riippua, hirttää, kaataaFinnish
- peser, pendre, exposer, accrocher, traîner, suspendre, baisser, errer, laisser pendre, rôder, planer, orner, [[être]] [[suspendu]]French
- crochScottish Gaelic
- felakaszt, akaszt, lógHungarian
- bloccarsi, essere impiccato, appendere, pendere, impiccareItalian
- 掛ける, 掛かるJapanese
- pendō, sedeoLatin
- whakawhata, whakairiMāori
- бе́си, ви́си, о́бесиMacedonian
- volhangen, ophangen, behangen, hangen, uithangen, vastlopen, zweven, laten, rondhangen, [[laten]] [[hangen]]Dutch
- wieszać, powiesić, wisiećPolish
- pendurar, inclinar, parar, pender, enforcar, andar, [[estar]] [[pendurado]], suspender, pairarPortuguese
- araway, harawayQuechua
- spânzura, atârna, agățaRomanian
- ве́шать, подве́сить, вывесить, повесить, повисе́ть, вешать, выставить, пове́сить, ошиваться, обвешивать, висеть, слоняться, выставлять, подвесить, висе́ть, обвешать, вывешиватьRussian
- обесити, objesiti, obesiti, visiti, објесити, виситиSerbo-Croatian
- obesiť, vešať, visieťSlovak
- obesiti, viseti, obešatiSlovene
- ఉరితీయబడు, వేలాడదీయు, వేలాడు, ఉరితీయుTelugu
- ві́шати, пові́сити, висі́тиUkrainian
Get even more translations for hang »
Find a translation for the hang synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"hang." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 4 Dec. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/hang>.