English Synonyms and Antonyms
Happy primarily refers to something that comes "by good hap," a chance that brings prosperity, benefit, or success.
And grasps the skirts of happy chance.
TennysonIn Memoriam lxiii, st. 2.
In this sense happy is closely allied to fortunate and lucky. (See FORTUNATE.) Happy has, however, so far diverged from this original sense as to apply to advantages where chance is not recognized, or is even excluded by direct reference to the divine will, when it becomes almost equivalent to blessed.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth.
Job v, 17.
Happy is also applied to the ready dexterity or skill by which favorable results (usually in minor matters) are secured, when it becomes a synonym for dexterous, felicitous, and the associated words; as, he has a happy wit; happy at retort (compare CLEVER). In its most frequent present use, happy is applied to the state of one enjoying happiness, or to that by which happiness is expressed; as, a happy heart; a happy face; happy laughter; happy tears (compare synonyms for HAPPINESS). Cheerful applies to the possession or expression of a moderate and tranquil happiness. A cheery word spontaneously gives cheer to others; a cheering word is more distinctly planned to cheer and encourage. Gay applies to an effusive and superficial happiness (often not really worthy of that name) perhaps resulting largely from abundant animal spirits: we speak of gay revelers or a gay horse. A buoyant spirit is, as it were, borne up by joy and hope. A sunny disposition has a constant tranquil brightness that irradiates all who come within its influence.
Compare synonyms for GRIEF.
blessed, blissful, blithe, blithesome, bright, buoyant, cheerful, cheering, cheery, delighted, delightful, dexterous, felicitous, fortunate, gay, glad, jocund, jolly, joyful, joyous, lucky, merry, mirthful, pleased, prosperous, rapturous, rejoiced, rejoicing, smiling, sprightly, successful, sunny
A happy event for him; happy at a reply; happy in his home, with his friends, among his children; happy at the discovery, over his success.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
enjoying or showing or marked by joy or pleasure
"a happy smile"; "spent many happy days on the beach"; "a happy marriage"
marked by good fortune
"a felicitous life"; "a happy outcome"
eagerly disposed to act or to be of service
"glad to help"
well expressed and to the point
"a happy turn of phrase"; "a few well-chosen words"
to be happy in particular areas.
i was zzingo in india because we went to a party there.Submitted by rinat on December 13, 2015
joyous, happy, good natured
the audience was in a jovial mood.Submitted by rinat on December 19, 2015
excited, upbeat, glad
sometimes people are so happy that others find it distressing
jenna smiled brightly at her mother, who just looked distressed
i have multiple synonyms just in case some are already on here.
like 14Submitted by snarayanareddy666 on August 21, 2021
it is so so so so and yes and stuff and it is a yes to the yes and that is basic so see you there.
we didn't believe anything he said about the roof
it means someone is very happy and joyous
i was so joyi when i went to the concert!Submitted by Isabella.hwang on November 3, 2020
to feel satisfied, happy.
he was at peace with himself, he felt kipu.
okSubmitted by jahzeelgm on September 22, 2021
pig in shitadjective
i am happy/pig in shit in my new carSubmitted by bobbytom667 on August 26, 2021
unangry(p)Submitted by Debnams on November 28, 2020
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "happy":
pleased, merry, glad, delighted, satisfied, saeed, happiness, feliz, fortunate, joyous, pleasure, content, excited, -merry, good, cheerful, 'heureux, nice, lucky, joyful, gratified, felicitous, upbeat, welcome, grateful, successful, happily, cheery, -happy, pleasant, al-said, fortunately, bonheur, jolly, happier
How to use happy in a sentence?
We're pleased with the decision that gay marriage is the law of the land and happy for our brothers and sisters who are able to get married now.
I have more fun with beer yoga. It’s not as serious as traditional yoga, we are with friends and say ‘cheers’ and sip beer and that makes me feel very happy.
You born with three obligations: to love, to live, and to be happy.
Little deeds of kindness, little words of love, help to make earth happy like the heaven above.
The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead.
Translations for happy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- gelukkig, bly, slim, handig, tevrede, kundigAfrikaans
- سعيد, فرح, محظوظArabic
- feliç, satisfet, afortunat, alegre, contentCatalan, Valencian
- spokojený, šťastnýCzech
- hapus, dedwyddWelsh
- heldig, glad, lykkeligDanish
- ευτυχής, ευχαριστημένος, ευτυχισμένος, χαρούμενοςGreek
- vole, feliĉa, kun plezuro, kontenta priEsperanto
- alegre, feliz, afortunado, contento, satisfechoSpanish
- خرسند, خوش, خشنود, خوشحال, شادPersian
- tyytyväinen, onnellinen, iloinen, hyvä, halukas, kätevä, suostuvainen, onnekas, aulisFinnish
- heureux, bienheureux, content, bienheureuse, contente, heureuse, prête, satisfait, satisfaite, prêt, chanceuxFrench
- bliidWestern Frisian
- sona, sonasach, séanmhar, áthasach, sástaIrish
- sona, toilichte, sàsaichte, àghmhorScottish Gaelic
- שָׂמֵחַ, מאושרHebrew
- ख़ुश, प्रसन्न, सुखी, खुHindi
- kontanHaitian Creole
- szerencsés, elégedett, boldog, meg van elégedveHungarian
- երջանիկ, ուրախArmenian
- senang, untung, mujurIndonesian
- hamingjusamur, heppilegurIcelandic
- fortunato, felice, lieto, contentoItalian
- 幸運, 幸せ, 運のよい, 幸福, ハッピーJapanese
- базарлы, бақытты, аруақтыKazakh
- រីករាយ, សប្បាយKhmer
- 운좋은, 기뻐하다, 기쁘다, 행복하다, 행복Korean
- دڵ خۆش, خهنی, بهختهوهرKurdish
- felix, laetus, beatusLatin
- glécklechLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ກະເຈາະກະຈອກ, ກະຈົວະກະຈວກLao
- priecīgs, laimīgsLatvian
- баяртай, жаргалтай, азтайMongolian
- tevreden, bedreven, gelukkig, kundig, handig, blijDutch
- glad, fornøyd, lykkelig, heldigNorwegian
- szczęśliwy, zadowolonyPolish
- feliz, contentePortuguese
- cuntaint, alleger, ventiraivel, cuntent, legherRomansh
- mulțumit, bucuros, norocos, fericit, satisfăcutRomanian
- радостный, счастливый, удачныйRussian
- सुखिन्, प्रसन्नSanskrit
- срећан, zadovoljan, sretan, сретан, задовољан, srećanSerbo-Croatian
- i kënaqur, i lumturAlbanian
- gynnsam, lycklig, glad, nöjt, gynnsamt, lyckligt, glatt, nöjd, lyckad, lyckatSwedish
- అదృవ్ష్టవంతమైన, ప్రశాంతం, ప్రసన్నత, సంతోషంగాTelugu
- хушбахт, хушҳолTajik
- มีความสุข, สบายใจThai
- suwerte, masayaTagalog
- şanslı, mutluTurkish
- سکھی, پرسنن, خوش, مبارک ہوUrdu
- xursand, baxtli, xushhol, baxtiyorUzbek
- sướng, may, may mắn, sung sướng, mừng, vui lòng, hạnh phúc, tài tình, vui mừngVietnamese
- פֿריילעך, גליקלעך, צופרידןYiddish
Get even more translations for happy »
Find a translation for the happy synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)