back(a), hind(a), hinder(a)(verb)
located at or near the back of an animal
"back (or hind) legs"; "the hinder part of a carcass"
be a hindrance or obstacle to
"She is impeding the progress of our project"
obstruct, blockade, block, hinder, stymie, stymy, embarrass(verb)
hinder or prevent the progress or accomplishment of
"His brother blocked him at every turn"
block up, lug, immobilize, seal off, obturate, handicap, jam, block off, close up, blank out, freeze, abash, obstruct, deflect, parry, embarrass, kibosh, draw a blank, hamper, impede, block, forget, stop, stuff, stymy, blockade, immobilise, bar, occlude, barricade, halt, choke up, stymie
handicap, hinder, hamper(verb)
put at a disadvantage
"The brace I have to wear is hindering my movements"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To hinder is to keep from action, progress, motion, or growth, or to make such action, progress, motion, or growth later in beginning or completion than it would otherwise have been. An action is prevented by anything that comes in before it to make it impossible; it is hindered by anything that keeps it from either beginning or ending so soon as it otherwise would, or as expected or intended. It is more common, however, to say that the start is delayed, the progress hindered. An action that is hindered does not take place at the appointed or appropriate time; that which is prevented does not take place at all; to hinder a thing long enough may amount to preventing it. A railroad-train may be hindered by a snow-storm from arriving on time; it may by special order be prevented from starting. To retard is simply to make slow by any means whatever. To obstruct is to hinder, or possibly to prevent advance or passage by putting something in the way; to oppose or resist is to hinder, or possibly to prevent by directly contrary or hostile action, resist being the stronger term and having more suggestion of physical force; obstructed roads hinder the march of an enemy, tho there may be no force strong enough to oppose it; one opposes a measure, a motion, an amendment, or the like; it is a criminal offense to resist an officer in the discharge of his duty; the physical system may resist the attack of disease or the action of a remedy. Compare CONQUER; IMPEDIMENT; OBSTRUCT.
See synonyms for QUICKEN.
Hinder one in his progress; from acting promptly; by opposition.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
plants can be choked by grass, and grass can be choked off by weedsSubmitted by erhnice on July 28, 2019
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use hinder in a sentence?
These actions undermine China's claim to be a rule-of-law society, run contrary China's human rights commitments and hinder its attempts to build a more transparent and effective justice system.
The commission should more broadly consider whether any pharmaceutical merger is likely to exacerbate anticompetitive conduct by the merged firm or to hinder innovation.
If we say a little it is easy to add, but having said too much it is hard to withdraw and never can it be done so quickly as to hinder the harm of our success.
Changing rules to hinder international business following major investments ... will have important implications for India FDI goals and add unnecessary pressure to trade discussions.
We are also fully committed to ending public financing for the most polluting power plants overseas, except in the poorest countries, and oppose language that would hinder implementation of the president's Climate Action Plan.
Translations for hinder
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عرقل, منع, عاق, خلفي, رِدْف, عَجِيزَةArabic
- dificultar, destorbarCatalan, Valencian
- bránit, zdržovat, ztěžovat, komplikovat, překážetCzech
- hindre, bag-, bagestDanish
- hindern, erschweren, Hintern, hinter, behindernGerman
- παρεμποδίζω, πισινός, οπίσθιοςGreek
- entorpecer, impedir, estorbar, obstar, nalgas, dificultarSpanish
- pidurdama, takistama, tagasi hoidmaEstonian
- taka-, estää, haitata, perä, viivyttää, pidättää, persaus, vaikeuttaaFinnish
- aftari, tálma, tarna, afturi, aftastur, forða, hindraFaroese
- entraver, délayerFrench
- megakadályoz, gátol, akadályoz, feltart, hátsó, meggátolHungarian
- խանգարել, ետևի, հետույք, խոչընդոտել, ետինArmenian
- varna, tálmaIcelandic
- impedire, ostacolare, ritardare, intralciareItalian
- 後ろの, 妨げるJapanese
- უკანა, ხელის შეშლა, დაბრკოლება, შეფერხება, უკანალიGeorgian
- ខាងក្រោយ, ពាំង, គូតKhmer
- 뒤, 방해하다, 저지하다Korean
- impediō, obstō, posterior, officiō, āversus, prohibereLatin
- behënneren, hënnerenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- bakdel, bakre, hindre, forhindre, bak-, hemme, rumpe, bakendeNorwegian
- vertragen, hinderen, verhinderen, achterste, makenDutch
- bakdel, bakende, bak-, forhindre, bakare, hemme, bakre, hindre, rumpeNorwegian Nynorsk
- wstrzymywać, opóźniać, tylny, przeszkadzać, pośladki, powstrzymywaćPolish
- estorvar, traseiro, bunda, reter, frustrar, entravar, atrapalhar, posterior, impedir, dificultarPortuguese
- împiedica, stânjeni, rețineRomanian
- воспрепятствовать, мешать, помешать, препятствовать, задница, заднийRussian
- одмоћи, спречити, sprečiti, otežavati, zaprečavati, задњи, стражњи, stražnji, запречавати, zadnji, kočiti, кочити, odmoći, отежаватиSerbo-Croatian
- spomaľovať, blokovať, brzdiť, sťažovať, brániť, zadný, prekážať, zdržovať, komplikovaťSlovak
- bak, hindra, försvåra, fördröja, bakreSwedish
- kinza, zuia, pinga, kingaSwahili
- หลัง, ก้น, ข้างหลัง, หยุดยั้ง, กีดขวาง, กีด, ส่วนหลัง, ตูดThai
Get even more translations for hinder »
Find a translation for the hinder synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)