a cavity or space in something
"hunger had caused the hollows in their cheeks"
a small valley between mountains
"he built himself a cabin in a hollow high up in the Appalachians"
a depression hollowed out of solid matter
not solid; having a space or gap or cavity
"a hollow wall"; "a hollow tree"; "hollow cheeks"; "his face became gaunter and more hollow with each year"
as if echoing in a hollow space
"the hollow sound of footsteps in the empty ballroom"
empty, hollow, vacuous(verb)
devoid of significance or point
"empty promises"; "a hollow victory"; "vacuous comments"
excavate, dig, hollow(verb)
remove the inner part or the core of
"the mining company wants to excavate the hillside"
stab, dig, cut into, prod, grind, travail, core out, turn over, jab, delve, labour, savvy, excavate, comprehend, compass, poke, apprehend, get the picture, grok, unearth, turn up, labor, dig out, grasp, hollow out, drudge, moil, toil, dig up
hollow, hollow out, core out(verb)
remove the interior of
"hollow out a tree trunk"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use hollow in a sentence?
Freedom enables us to accept ourselves and become who we are in reality. Many a times, people trade in their reality for a role that they aren't meant to be. They willingly trade in their originality and freedom, and put on a mask to act, to please others. Such artificial , hollow and superficial life, doesn't matter how attractive it may seem, can become a chain and burdain. Be free. Be original. And you will be happy. The revilution for freedom always begins internally, on personal level first. Never trade in your freedom.
Without trust, words become the hollow sound of a wooden gong. With trust, words become life itself.
It is patently false to say the Department had not engaged the board, when as recently as January 8 we were working with the board to renew their charter, schedule a meeting and fill vacancies, their hollow and dishonest political stunt should be a clear indicator of the intention of this group.
We cannot allow ourselves any hollow structures given the actual security situation.
What we plan is to turn them into hollow blocks and bricks and sell them to interested companies.
Translations for hollow
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dutý, dutina, prohlubeň, bezobsažný, prázdnota, nesmyslný, prázdnýCzech
- hul, dyb, huleDanish
- hohl, HöhleGerman
- ψεύτικος, βαθούλωμα, κούφιος, υπόκωφος, κενό, κοίλοςGreek
- sordo, hondonada, hueco, resonante, hundido, depresión, falso, ahuecado, vacíoSpanish
- کاواک, پوک, توخالیPersian
- insignifiant, creux, videFrench
- sloc, falamhScottish Gaelic
- cavo, cavità, incavoItalian
- 空虚, むなしい, 虚ろ, くぼむ, 虚脱感, 中空, 空洞, 窪地, こもる, 空っぽ, 不誠実, ホローJapanese
- cavus, inanis, vacuus, lacusLatin
- huelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- duobė, dauba, tuščiaviduris, tuščias, įdubaLithuanian
- dobums, tukšsLatvian
- hull, innhul, hol, hul, grop, dypNorwegian
- laagte, hol, leegDutch
- grop, hol, djup, innholNorwegian Nynorsk
- pusty, nizina, głuchy, niecka, pustka, wydrążonyPolish
- vazio, oco, depressão, vãoPortuguese
- полый, пустота, бессодержательный, выемка, яма, пустой, выбоина, впадина, низина, глухой, углублениеRussian
- ihålig, grop, tomSwedish
- డొల్ల, శుష్క, బోలుTelugu
- کھوکھلا, کھوکھلیUrdu
Get even more translations for hollow »
Find a translation for the hollow synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)