a cavity or space in something
"hunger had caused the hollows in their cheeks"
a small valley between mountains
"he built himself a cabin in a hollow high up in the Appalachians"
a depression hollowed out of solid matter
not solid; having a space or gap or cavity
"a hollow wall"; "a hollow tree"; "hollow cheeks"; "his face became gaunter and more hollow with each year"
as if echoing in a hollow space
"the hollow sound of footsteps in the empty ballroom"
empty, hollow, vacuous(verb)
devoid of significance or point
"empty promises"; "a hollow victory"; "vacuous comments"
excavate, dig, hollow(verb)
remove the inner part or the core of
"the mining company wants to excavate the hillside"
stab, dig, cut into, prod, grind, travail, core out, turn over, jab, delve, labour, savvy, excavate, comprehend, compass, poke, apprehend, get the picture, grok, unearth, turn up, labor, dig out, grasp, hollow out, drudge, moil, toil, dig up
hollow, hollow out, core out(verb)
remove the interior of
"hollow out a tree trunk"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use hollow in a sentence?
While death and injury tolls continue to rise, steps taken so far will remain hollow if not completed. The people must be served and protected, not violently oppressed.
What is hope? nothing but the paint on the face of Existence; the least touch of truth rubs it off, and then we see what a hollow-cheeked harlot we have got hold of.
How hollow must your life be for you to waste it hating and oppressing others, whose lives are of no consequence to your own?
Among the more damaging is that it reveals another example of how hollow the ‘war on women’ argument is when coming from the Hillary camp, disabling that most favorite of perennial liberal ad hominem attacks is the equivalent of taking Superman's ability to leap tall buildings away, for both Anthony Weiner and Bill Clinton, their sexual misconduct went well beyond the realm of a ‘boys will be boys’ defense.And it was Hillary and Huma to the rescue all in the name personal advancement.That is not a story Hillary wants out there, especially through a more popular medium that has the ability to reach a broader audience.
This should remind us to thank all law enforcement for their unwavering service to protect and serve, may God keep them all in the hollow of his hand.
Translations for hollow
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dutý, dutina, prohlubeň, bezobsažný, prázdnota, nesmyslný, prázdnýCzech
- hul, dyb, huleDanish
- hohl, HöhleGerman
- ψεύτικος, βαθούλωμα, κούφιος, υπόκωφος, κενό, κοίλοςGreek
- sordo, hondonada, hueco, resonante, hundido, depresión, falso, ahuecado, vacíoSpanish
- کاواک, پوک, توخالیPersian
- insignifiant, creux, videFrench
- sloc, falamhScottish Gaelic
- cavo, cavità, incavoItalian
- 空虚, むなしい, 虚ろ, くぼむ, 虚脱感, 中空, 空洞, 窪地, こもる, 空っぽ, 不誠実, ホローJapanese
- cavus, inanis, vacuus, lacusLatin
- huelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- duobė, dauba, tuščiaviduris, tuščias, įdubaLithuanian
- dobums, tukšsLatvian
- hull, innhul, hol, hul, grop, dypNorwegian
- laagte, hol, leegDutch
- grop, hol, djup, innholNorwegian Nynorsk
- pusty, nizina, głuchy, niecka, pustka, wydrążonyPolish
- vazio, oco, depressão, vãoPortuguese
- полый, пустота, бессодержательный, выемка, яма, пустой, выбоина, впадина, низина, глухой, углублениеRussian
- ihålig, grop, tomSwedish
- డొల్ల, శుష్క, బోలుTelugu
- کھوکھلا, کھوکھلیUrdu
Get even more translations for hollow »
Find a translation for the hollow synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)