Synonyms for home
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term home.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Abode, dwelling, and habitation are used with little difference of meaning to denote the place where one habitually lives; abode and habitation belong to the poetic or elevated style. Even dwelling is not used in familiar speech; a person says "my house," "my home," or more formally "my residence." Home, from the Anglo-Saxon, denoting originally a dwelling, came to mean an endeared dwelling as the scene of domestic love and happy and cherished family life, a sense to which there is an increasing tendency to restrict the word — desirably so, since we have other words to denote the mere dwelling-place; we say "The wretched tenement could not be called home," or "The humble cabin was dear to him as the home of his childhood."Home's not merely four square walls,
Tho with pictures hung and gilded;
Home is where affection calls —
Where its shrine the heart has builded.
Thus the word comes to signify any place of rest and peace, and especially heaven, as the soul's peaceful and eternal dwelling-place.
where you live at a particular time
"deliver the package to my home"; "he doesn't have a home to go to"; "your place or mine?"
domicile, billet, berth, seat, lieu, place, spot, base, plaza, station, plate, post, property, home base, space, topographic point, shoes, position, home plate, household, habitation, family, nursing home, blank space, abode, rest home, menage, stead, situation, piazza, office, house, dwelling house, dwelling
dwelling, home, domicile, abode, habitation, dwelling housenoun
housing that someone is living in
"he built a modest dwelling near the pond"; "they raise money to provide homes for the homeless"
rest home, legal residence, domicile, dwelling, home base, inhabitation, place, dwelling house, base, abode, home plate, family, inhabitancy, house, habitation, residence, plate, nursing home, menage, household
the country or state or city where you live
"Canadian tariffs enabled United States lumber companies to raise prices at home"; "his home is New Jersey"
home plate, home base, home, platenoun
(baseball) base consisting of a rubber slab where the batter stands; it must be touched by a base runner in order to score
"he ruled that the runner failed to touch home"
dental plate, domicile, rest home, home office, central office, dwelling, home base, place, plateful, menage, dwelling house, base, scale, main office, crustal plate, home plate, family, nursing home, house, habitation, headquarters, photographic plate, denture, household, shell, abode, plate, collection plate
the place where you are stationed and from which missions start and end
al-Qaeda, bag, domicile, groundwork, al-Qaida, place, pedestal, substructure, house, theme, plate, basis, fundament, nucleotide, foundation, radical, root, home base, floor, household, habitation, family, nursing home, foot, abode, understructure, alkali, cornerstone, base, home plate, rest home, menage, stem, base of operations, radix, root word, stand, infrastructure, dwelling house, al-Qa'ida, dwelling
place where something began and flourished
"the United States is the home of basketball"
an environment offering affection and security
"home is where the heart is"; "he grew up in a good Christian home"; "there's no place like home"
family, household, house, home, menagenoun
a social unit living together
"he moved his family to Virginia"; "It was a good Christian household"; "I waited until the whole house was asleep"; "the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
category, domicile, crime syndicate, place, kinfolk, base, house, family line, business firm, fellowship, kin, kinsperson, theater, star sign, syndicate, family unit, sign, mansion, nursing home, home base, home plate, planetary house, household, habitation, family, sign of the zodiac, firm, theatre, abode, class, sept, phratry, menage, rest home, mob, plate, folk, kinsfolk, dwelling house, dwelling
home, nursing home, rest homeadjective
an institution where people are cared for
"a home for the elderly"
used of your own ground
"a home game"
relating to or being where one lives or where one's roots are
"my home town"
home(a), interior(a), internal, nationalverb
inside the country
"the British Home Office has broader responsibilities than the United States Department of the Interior"; "the nation's internal politics"
provide with, or send to, a home
return home accurately from a long distance
at or to or in the direction of one's home or family
"He stays home on weekends"; "after the game the children brought friends home for supper"; "I'll be home tomorrow"; "came riding home in style"; "I hope you will come home for Christmas"; "I'll take her home"; "don't forget to write home"
on or to the point aimed at
"the arrow struck home"
to the fullest extent; to the heart
"drove the nail home"; "drove his point home"; "his comments hit home"
a place where something lives
we bought a home!
Dictionary of English Synonymes
to one's home
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "home":
idrc.ca, house, domicile, household, homepage, casa, internal, reception, domestic, accueil, homes, home-based, hospitality, residence, foyer, 'accueil, interior, maison, origin, in-home, homeland, housing, startup, houses, family, host, hosting, start, source, hogar, boot, initial, dwelling, shelter, residential, fireplace, hometown, inland, bootable, countries, welcome, district, greeting, back, al-watan, inner, indoor
Words popularity by usage frequency
Oh God, I'm so excited. You see, I watched the Oscars every year at home on an Irish channel and the reception was fuzzy because we were in the country. Every now and then, it would be: 'The winner for best actor is…' and then the screen would go all grey. It's kind of surreal that I'm actually going to be there this year.
Try to work within your bandwidth, using things that are accessible, if Alfiee Breland-Noble're going to meditate, and it's like eight people in a two-bedroom home, maybe Alfiee Breland-Noble have to literally go into the bathroom and sit there for five minutes with Alfiee Breland-Noble headphones on.
Concerns about world trade growth and the strength of demand from both developed and emerging markets have become more prominent ... since our last report, closer to home, the domestic market is also looking considerably less supportive than has been the case in recent years.
I can feed two people at home for a month for what it costs me to eat in Williston for a week, i can't afford to stay here.
Governor Brown has presented me with an opportunity I cannot refuse -- to serve as Attorney General of my home state.
Translations for home
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- huis, ouerhuisAfrikaans
- بيت, المنزلArabic
- дадо́му, до́маBelarusian
- casa, llarCatalan, Valencian
- domov, doma, domůCzech
- gartref, cartrefWelsh
- hjemad, hjem, hjemme, hjemlandDanish
- heim, Zuhause, Wohnung, Ruhestätte, Nest, zu Hause, Heimat, nach Hause, Elternhaus, nachhause, heimwärts, daheim, anpeilen, zielenGerman
- περιβάλλον, [[στο]] [[σπίτι]], πατρικό, πατρίδα, σπίτι, γενέτειρα, σπιτικό, [[προς]] [[το]] [[σπίτι]], άσυλο, κατοικίαGreek
- loĝejo, hejmoEsperanto
- patria, a casa, hogar, casaSpanish
- sünnikodu, kodumaa, isamaa, koduEstonian
- منزل, میهن, خانه, در منزلPersian
- lapsuudenkoti, kotiin, kotimaa, himppe, koti, kotona, hima, kotiseutu, kotitaloFinnish
- heima, heimFaroese
- patrie, maison, à la maisonFrench
- baile, sa bhaile, abhaileIrish
- dhachaigh, dachaigh, taighScottish Gaelic
- הביתה, בית, מקוםHebrew
- निवास, आश्रय, जन्मभूमि, मकान, घर पर, घरHindi
- otthon, haza, szülőföld, itthonHungarian
- կացարան, օջախ, տուն, հայրենիքArmenian
- heimili, heima, að heiman, heim, heimanIcelandic
- dimora, paese, focolare, traguardo, casa, a casa, meta, habitat, patria, centrareItalian
- 家, 実家, 母国, お宅, お住まい, 生息地, 故郷, ホームJapanese
- ផ្ទះ, ទៅផ្ទះKhmer
- ಮಾತೃಭೂಮಿ, ಪಿತೃಭೂಮಿ, ಮನೆKannada
- 집, 고향, 故鄕, 댁, 집으로, 홈Korean
- mal, ماڵKurdish
- domus, focus, aedificium, aedes, domicilium, penates, tēctum, domumLatin
- nams, tēvijaLatvian
- дом, родина, живеалиште, прибежиште, дома, татковина, се наведуваMacedonian
- dar, abitat, pajjiżMaltese
- tehuis, thuis, moederland, heem, naar huis, huis, habitatDutch
- hjem, barndomshjem, heim, hjemme, hjemover, hjemlandNorwegian
- hooghangóó, hooghandi, hooghanNavajo, Navaho
- ਘਰPanjabi, Punjabi
- macierz, dom, w domu, ojczyznaPolish
- كوټه, كورPashto, Pushto
- terra, casa, lar, em casa, para casa, habitatPortuguese
- a tgesa, casa, a chesa, a chasa, a casa, chesa, a tgeasa, a tgea, tgeasa, patria, tgesa, tgea, chasaRomansh
- acasă, casăRomanian
- дом, до́ма, домо́й, наводи́ться, навести́сь, домойRussian
- domovina, дом, dom, kući, кућиSerbo-Croatian
- domov, domaSlovak
- dóm, domá, domôv, nameritiSlovene
- lehaeSouthern Sotho
- hus, hemma, hem, hemland, siktaSwedish
- வீடு, வீட்டில்Tamil
- నివాసం, ఇల్లు, పూర్వీకము, ఇంటి వద్ద, ఇంటి వైపు, శరణాలయము, ఇంటికిTelugu
- tahanan, bahayTagalog
- evde, yurt, eve, vatan, ev, eve doğruTurkish
- يۇرت, ئۆيدە, خانە, ئېغىز, ۋەتەن, ئۆيUyghur, Uighur
- батьківщина, вдо́ма, домівка, додо́му, дімUkrainian
- گھر, گھر پرUrdu
- quê, đích, nhà ở, nơi chôn, chỗ ở, nhà, tổ quốc, quê hương, nơi sinh, nhà cửa, gia đìnhVietnamese
Get even more translations for home »
Find a translation for the home synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"home." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 3 Oct. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/home>.