Synonyms for interest
ˈɪn tər ɪst, -trɪstin·ter·est
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term interest.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To entertain, in the sense here considered, is to engage and pleasantly occupy the attention; to amuse is to occupy the attention in an especially bright and cheerful way, often with that which excites merriment or laughter; as, he entertained us with an amusing story. To divert is to turn from serious thoughts or laborious pursuits to something that lightly and agreeably occupies the mind; one may be entertained or amused who has nothing serious or laborious from which to be diverted. To recreate, literally to re-create, is to engage mind or body in some pleasing activity that restores strength and energy for serious work. To beguile is, as it were, to cheat into cheer and comfort by something that insensibly draws thought or feeling away from pain or disquiet. We beguile a weary hour, cheer the despondent, divert the preoccupied, enliven a dull evening or company, gratify our friends' wishes, entertain, interest, please a listening audience, occupy idle time, disport ourselves when merry, recreate when worn with toil; we amuse ourselves or others with whatever pleasantly passes the time without special exertion, each according to his taste.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a sense of concern with and curiosity about someone or something
"an interest in music"
a reason for wanting something done
"for your sake"; "died for the sake of his country"; "in the interest of safety"; "in the common interest"
the power of attracting or holding one's attention (because it is unusual or exciting etc.)
"they said nothing of great interest"; "primary colors can add interest to a room"
a fixed charge for borrowing money; usually a percentage of the amount borrowed
"how much interest do you pay on your mortgage?"
(law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something
"they have interests all over the world"; "a stake in the company's future"
interest, interest groupnoun
(usually plural) a social group whose members control some field of activity and who have common aims
"the iron interests stepped up production"
pastime, interest, pursuitverb
a diversion that occupies one's time and thoughts (usually pleasantly)
"sailing is her favorite pastime"; "his main pastime is gambling"; "he counts reading among his interests"; "they criticized the boy for his limited pursuits"
excite the curiosity of; engage the interest of
concern, interest, occupy, worryverb
be on the mind of
"I worry about the second Germanic consonant shift"
lodge in, invade, occupy, touch, engross, care, use up, matter to, have-to doe with, worry, touch on, absorb, engage, busy, fill, come to, relate, refer, reside, take, pertain, bear on, vex, concern
matter to, interestverb
be of importance or consequence
"This matters to me!"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use interest in a sentence?
The Creator only gives, but does not expect anything from us. He invests in us without expecting any interest in return.
We want people to take a hard look at this video and cooperate in the interest of justice, there is a dangerous person out there and we want to bring him to justice.
We have always sought to provide a wide variety of content and programming that would be of interest to customers, and do not dictate or control programming on channels we carry, any suggestion otherwise is wrong.
By mortifying vanity we do ourselves no good. It is the want of interest in our life which produces it; by filling up that want of interest in our life we can alone remedy it.
Following interest expressed by several parties, Exxon Mobil has decided to open a data room to test the market interest for the upstream portfolio in Norway.
Translations for interest
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فائدة, اهتمامArabic
- интерес, лихваBulgarian
- interèsCatalan, Valencian
- úrok, zajímat, zájemCzech
- interesse, interessant, interessereDanish
- interessieren, Interesse, ZinsGerman
- ενδιαφέρον, συμφέρον, τόκοςGreek
- intereso, interezo, interesiEsperanto
- interés, interesarSpanish
- kiinnostaa, etu, kiinnostus, intressi, korko, mielenkiinto, omistusFinnish
- intérêt, intéresserFrench
- suimScottish Gaelic
- use, foayrManx
- אינטרס, תשומת לב, עניין, ריביתHebrew
- स्वारस्य, ब्याज, सूदHindi
- érdek, érdeklődés, kamat, érdekelHungarian
- interesse, interessare, attrarre, attenzioneItalian
- 利息, 興味, 興味を引く, 利益, 関心, 利子Japanese
- 흥미, 관심, 이자Korean
- faîz, entres, riba, mereq, balkêşîKurdish
- dominti, susidomėjimas, procentai, palūkanos, interesas, domėtis, domėjimasis, suinteresuotiLithuanian
- procenti, interesēties, interese, interesēt, augļiLatvian
- moni whakatupuMāori
- പലിശ, താല്പര്യംMalayalam
- faedah, bunga, minat, kepentinganMalay
- interesse, belang, interest, interesseren, rente, belangstellingDutch
- rente, interesse, interessere, interesseraNorwegian
- odsetki, zainteresowanie, interesyPolish
- interesse, interessar, jurosPortuguese
- interesa, interes, interes material, preocupare, dobândăRomanian
- интерес, заинтересовать, интересовать, интересоваться, заинтересоваться, процентRussian
- kamata, камата, ȉnterēs, и̏нтере̄сSerbo-Croatian
- ränta, intressera, intresseSwedish
- ఆసక్తి, వడ్డీTelugu
- nitedön, nitedVolapük
Get even more translations for interest »
Find a translation for the interest synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)