a dull stupid fatuous person
jerk, jerking, jolt, saccade(noun)
an abrupt spasmodic movement
(mechanics) the rate of change of acceleration
jerky, jerked meat, jerk(noun)
meat (especially beef) cut in strips and dried in the sun
raising a weight from shoulder height to above the head by straightening the arms
a sudden abrupt pull
pull, or move with a sudden movement
"He turned the handle and jerked the door open"
move with abrupt, seemingly uncontrolled motions
"The patient's legs were jerkings"
make an uncontrolled, short, jerky motion
"his face is twitching"
buck, jerk, hitch(verb)
jump vertically, with legs stiff and back arched
"the yung filly bucked"
throw or toss with a quick motion
"flick a piece of paper across the table"; "jerk his head"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use jerk in a sentence?
Some people are just basically jerks, whether he was born a jerk or was made a jerk, he was a jerk. He was a mean guy. Money was inconsequential to him. When you have years and years of enabling by scores of people because of your incredible wealth, it can veer into tragic circumstances.
One of the positions was sizeable, so the market reacted negatively to that, it's kind of a knee-jerk reaction, where you have some of the fast money reacting, but no one really for the long haul is going to make a dramatic move.
I don't apologize for it because he is a jerk, he disparages POWs like John McCain, saying he's not a hero because he got caught. He's a jerk when he disparages women the way he does, and he is a jerk when he disparages people with disabilities. How are we going to win the presidency if we're tearing our country apart?
The white youth of today have begun to react to the fact that the American Way of Life is a fossil of history. What do they care if their old baldheaded and crew-cut elders don't dig their caveman mops? They couldn't care less about the old, stiff-assed honkies who don't like their new dances: Frog, Monkey, Jerk, Swim, Watusi. All they know is that it feels good to swing to way-out body-rhythms instead of dragging across the dance floor like zombies to the dead beat of mind-smothered Mickey Mouse music.
Given the higher level of volatility and frankly a little bit of disappointment in some of the economic data and corporate profit data this morning, it could just be more of a knee jerk reaction after we’ve had a very sharp rally.
Translations for jerk
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رعشة, يرتعش, هزة, يهز, أحمقArabic
- ryv, blbec, debil, blbCzech
- Ruck, rucken, Zuckung, Arschloch, zucken, dörren, ArschGerman
- tonto, tic, huevón, tumbo, sacudida, gilipollas, estremecimiento, miserable, tirón, repullo, espasmo, gilí, imbécilSpanish
- heilahtaa, muutos, idiootti, paskiainen, nykäisy, heilauttaa, ääliö, heilahduttaa, nykäys, nytkähdys, nytkäyttää, nytkähtää, kiihtyvyydenFinnish
- saccade, spasme, mauvais con, clonie, tic, con, secousse, conard, sursaut, crétin, connard, soubresaut, cahot, tressaillement, jerk, convulsion, myoclonieFrench
- succussa, vexator, spasmoInterlingua
- sontoloyo, bangsat, bajingan, brengsekIndonesian
- sgradevole, sobbalzo, babbeo, idiota, odioso, strattone, spasmo, strappo, offensivo, tic, scatto, scemo, stronzoItalian
- 加加速度, 躍度Japanese
- whakanou, pahiwi, whakanounouMāori
- дебил, судорога, дёрнуть, гнида, дёрнуться, негодяй, подёргивание, вздрогнуть, подлец, рывок, дёргаться, козёл, вздрагивание, вздрагивать, вялить, толчок, тик, рвануть, мудак, дёргать, гад, спазмRussian
- silki, pislik, ani hareket, aşağılık kimse, titremeTurkish
Get even more translations for jerk »
Find a translation for the jerk synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)