marriage, matrimony, union, spousal relationship, wedlock(noun)
the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
"a long and happy marriage"; "God bless this union"
conjugation, pairing, conglutination, join, trades union, uniting, matrimony, unification, coupling, sum, spousal relationship, sexual union, trade union, union, man and wife, wedlock, marriage ceremony, mating, wedding, brotherhood, labor union, jointure, married couple
marriage, married couple, man and wife(noun)
two people who are married to each other
"his second marriage was happier than the first"; "a married couple without love"
marriage, wedding, marriage ceremony(noun)
the act of marrying; the nuptial ceremony
"their marriage was conducted in the chapel"
a close and intimate union
"the marriage of music and dance"; "a marriage of ideas"
The state of being married.
You should enter marriage for love.
The union of two (or sometimes more) people, usually to the exclusion of all others.
A wedding; a ceremony in which people wed.
You are cordially invited to the marriage of James Smith and Jane Doe.
A close union.
A joining of two parts.
A king and a queen, when held as a hand in Texas hold 'em and some other card games.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Matrimony denotes the state of those who are united in the relation of husband and wife; marriage denotes primarily the act of so uniting, but is extensively used for the state as well. Wedlock, a word of specific legal use, is the Saxon term for the state or relation denoted by matrimony. Wedding denotes the ceremony, with any attendant festivities, by which two persons are united as husband and wife, nuptials being the more formal and stately term to express the same idea.
Marriage of or between two persons; of one person to or with another; among the Greeks.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
misogamy, misogamist, affiance, affianced, affinity, intermarriage, conjugality, misalliance, agamist, benedict, betroth, betrothal, desponsory, ante-nuptial, sponsal, hymeneal, schatchen, connubial, connubiality, fiancé, hymen, fiancée, troth, plight, nuptial, nuptiality, postnuptial, morganatic, banns, neogamist, matrimonial
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use marriage in a sentence?
There are three rings involved with marriage. The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering.
We are hopeful the Supreme Court will uphold the freedom of the people to affirm marriage.
Other music genres are separated and isolated by celebrity, by bold faced names, they're going through that same stuff, and People Magazine's going to discover them and ferret People Magazine out and tell you, or the tabloids will. But with country it's right in your face. You know what's going on when somebody miscarries. You know when this person's marriage is over or when somebody falls in love. That's a particularly intimate thing.
My marriage to Chasten has made me a better man. And yes, Mr. Vice President, it has moved me closer to God, that's the thing I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand : That if you have a problem with who I am, your quarrel is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.
As police officers, we are to enforce the laws, so on the same-sex marriage now, we stand by the position of the law.
Translations for marriage
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- сватба, бракосъчетание, брак, женитбаBulgarian
- matrimoniCatalan, Valencian
- sňatek, manželství, vztah, svatbaCzech
- vielse, ægteskab, bryllup, forening, giftermål, forbindelseDanish
- Hochzeit, Ehe, Heirat, VerheiratungGerman
- geedzeco, edzeco, nupto, geedziĝoEsperanto
- boda, matrimonio, uniónSpanish
- ازدواج, نکاحPersian
- rekisteröity parisuhde, avioliitto, naimakauppa, häätFinnish
- hjúnalag, hjúnaband, hjúnaskapurFaroese
- mariage, nocesFrench
- lánúnas, pósadh, bainisIrish
- banais, pòsadhScottish Gaelic
- poosey, bannishManx
- נישואים, חתונהHebrew
- विवाह, शादी, ब्याहHindi
- házasság, esküvőHungarian
- հարսանիք, ամուսնությունArmenian
- perkawinan, pernikahanIndonesian
- connubio, sposalizio, matrimonio, nozze, stato coniugale, unioneItalian
- 婚姻, 結婚Japanese
- 結婚, 결혼Korean
- laulība, vedībasLatvian
- брак, свадба, венчавкаMacedonian
- വിവാഹജീവിതം, മംഗലം, താലികെട്ട്, കല്യാണം, സംയോജനം, വിവാഹം, മാംഗല്യംMalayalam
- perkahwinan, pernikahanMalay
- tieġ, żwieġMaltese
- အာဝါဟဝိဝါဟ, စုတ်Burmese
- huwelijk, bruiloftDutch
- giftemål, ekteskap, bryllupNorwegian
- maridatge, matrimòniOccitan
- ਵਿਆਹPanjabi, Punjabi
- małżeństwo, ślubPolish
- casamento, matrimónioPortuguese
- lai, lètg, matrimoni, alachRomansh
- căsnicie, cununie, căsătorie, nuntăRomanian
- бракосочетание, замужество, женитьба, супружество, брак, свадьбаRussian
- brak, бракSerbo-Croatian
- manželstvo, sobášSlovak
- zakonska zveza, porokaSlovene
- äktenskap, bröllop, vigselSwedish
- వివాహము, పెండ్లిTelugu
- издивоҷ, никоҳTajik
- nikâh, evlilik, düğünTurkish
- шлюб, одруженняUkrainian
- شادی, وواہUrdu
- kết hôn, cưới xin, lể cưới, hôn nhânVietnamese
- noice, mariaedje, noicesWalloon
- הייראַט, חתונה, זיווגYiddish
Get even more translations for marriage »
Find a translation for the marriage synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)