The state of being married.
You should enter marriage for love.
The union of two (or sometimes more) people, usually to the exclusion of all others.
A wedding; a ceremony in which people wed.
You are cordially invited to the marriage of James Smith and Jane Doe.
A close union.
A joining of two parts.
A king and a queen, when held as a hand in Texas hold 'em and some other card games.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Matrimony denotes the state of those who are united in the relation of husband and wife; marriage denotes primarily the act of so uniting, but is extensively used for the state as well. Wedlock, a word of specific legal use, is the Saxon term for the state or relation denoted by matrimony. Wedding denotes the ceremony, with any attendant festivities, by which two persons are united as husband and wife, nuptials being the more formal and stately term to express the same idea.
Marriage of or between two persons; of one person to or with another; among the Greeks.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
marriage, matrimony, union, spousal relationship, wedlocknoun
the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
"a long and happy marriage"; "God bless this union"
conjugation, pairing, conglutination, join, trades union, uniting, matrimony, unification, coupling, sum, spousal relationship, sexual union, trade union, union, man and wife, wedlock, marriage ceremony, mating, wedding, brotherhood, labor union, jointure, married couple
marriage, married couple, man and wifenoun
two people who are married to each other
"his second marriage was happier than the first"; "a married couple without love"
marriage, wedding, marriage ceremonynoun
the act of marrying; the nuptial ceremony
"their marriage was conducted in the chapel"
a close and intimate union
"the marriage of music and dance"; "a marriage of ideas"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
misogamy, misogamist, affiance, affianced, affinity, intermarriage, conjugality, misalliance, agamist, benedict, betroth, betrothal, desponsory, ante-nuptial, sponsal, hymeneal, schatchen, connubial, connubiality, fiancé, hymen, fiancée, troth, plight, nuptial, nuptiality, postnuptial, morganatic, banns, neogamist, matrimonial
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use marriage in a sentence?
We fear that there are other unreported cases every year. Women and girls in Iran face domestic violence on a widespread basis, and the Iranian authorities have consistently failed in their obligations to protect the lives and safety of women and girls, iranian authorities have yet to adopt specific legislation criminalizing gender-based violence against women and girls, including domestic violence, marital rape, and early and forced marriage, all of which remain widespread.
Marriage teaches you loyalty, forbearance, self-restraint, meekness, and a great many other things you wouldn't need if you had stayed single.
I almost got divorced through this whole fiasco, thank God my wife and I were able to put the marriage back together. I don't know why George Conway is hitting George Conway that hard. The President waited four months before The President responded. And, you know, Kellyanne Conway seems to be defending The President, so I want to stay out of that one because I don't like getting involved in people's relationships, particularly after the fiasco that I went through.
There is nothing under our law that compels a rabbi, minister or pastor of any kind to perform a marriage that that person doesn’t want to perform, that was the law before the Supreme Court decision. And that remains the law afterwards.
I am heartbroken that John has decided to end our marriage, i wish him support and success as he continues his recovery.
Translations for marriage
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- сватба, бракосъчетание, брак, женитбаBulgarian
- matrimoniCatalan, Valencian
- sňatek, manželství, vztah, svatbaCzech
- vielse, ægteskab, bryllup, forening, giftermål, forbindelseDanish
- Hochzeit, Ehe, Heirat, VerheiratungGerman
- geedzeco, edzeco, nupto, geedziĝoEsperanto
- boda, matrimonio, uniónSpanish
- ازدواج, نکاحPersian
- rekisteröity parisuhde, avioliitto, naimakauppa, häätFinnish
- hjúnalag, hjúnaband, hjúnaskapurFaroese
- mariage, nocesFrench
- lánúnas, pósadh, bainisIrish
- banais, pòsadhScottish Gaelic
- poosey, bannishManx
- נישואים, חתונהHebrew
- विवाह, शादी, ब्याहHindi
- házasság, esküvőHungarian
- հարսանիք, ամուսնությունArmenian
- perkawinan, pernikahanIndonesian
- connubio, sposalizio, matrimonio, nozze, stato coniugale, unioneItalian
- 婚姻, 結婚Japanese
- 結婚, 결혼Korean
- laulība, vedībasLatvian
- брак, свадба, венчавкаMacedonian
- വിവാഹജീവിതം, മംഗലം, താലികെട്ട്, കല്യാണം, സംയോജനം, വിവാഹം, മാംഗല്യംMalayalam
- perkahwinan, pernikahanMalay
- tieġ, żwieġMaltese
- အာဝါဟဝိဝါဟ, စုတ်Burmese
- huwelijk, bruiloftDutch
- giftemål, ekteskap, bryllupNorwegian
- maridatge, matrimòniOccitan
- ਵਿਆਹPanjabi, Punjabi
- małżeństwo, ślubPolish
- casamento, matrimónioPortuguese
- lai, lètg, matrimoni, alachRomansh
- căsnicie, cununie, căsătorie, nuntăRomanian
- бракосочетание, замужество, женитьба, супружество, брак, свадьбаRussian
- brak, бракSerbo-Croatian
- manželstvo, sobášSlovak
- zakonska zveza, porokaSlovene
- äktenskap, bröllop, vigselSwedish
- వివాహము, పెండ్లిTelugu
- издивоҷ, никоҳTajik
- nikâh, evlilik, düğünTurkish
- шлюб, одруженняUkrainian
- شادی, وواہUrdu
- kết hôn, cưới xin, lể cưới, hôn nhânVietnamese
- noice, mariaedje, noicesWalloon
- הייראַט, חתונה, זיווגYiddish
Get even more translations for marriage »
Find a translation for the marriage synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)