Synonyms for merry
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term merry.
Jolly and full of high-spirits
We had a very merry Christmas.
Festive and full of fun and laughter
The play moved along at a merry pace.
happy or showing enjoyment
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Happy primarily refers to something that comes "by good hap," a chance that brings prosperity, benefit, or success.
And grasps the skirts of happy chance.
TennysonIn Memoriam lxiii, st. 2.
In this sense happy is closely allied to fortunate and lucky. (See FORTUNATE.) Happy has, however, so far diverged from this original sense as to apply to advantages where chance is not recognized, or is even excluded by direct reference to the divine will, when it becomes almost equivalent to blessed.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth.
Job v, 17.
Happy is also applied to the ready dexterity or skill by which favorable results (usually in minor matters) are secured, when it becomes a synonym for dexterous, felicitous, and the associated words; as, he has a happy wit; happy at retort (compare CLEVER). In its most frequent present use, happy is applied to the state of one enjoying happiness, or to that by which happiness is expressed; as, a happy heart; a happy face; happy laughter; happy tears (compare synonyms for HAPPINESS). Cheerful applies to the possession or expression of a moderate and tranquil happiness. A cheery word spontaneously gives cheer to others; a cheering word is more distinctly planned to cheer and encourage. Gay applies to an effusive and superficial happiness (often not really worthy of that name) perhaps resulting largely from abundant animal spirits: we speak of gay revelers or a gay horse. A buoyant spirit is, as it were, borne up by joy and hope. A sunny disposition has a constant tranquil brightness that irradiates all who come within its influence.
Compare synonyms for GRIEF.
blessed, blissful, blithe, blithesome, bright, buoyant, cheerful, cheering, cheery, delighted, delightful, dexterous, felicitous, fortunate, gay, glad, happy, jocund, jolly, joyful, joyous, lucky, mirthful, pleased, prosperous, rapturous, rejoiced, rejoicing, smiling, sprightly, successful, sunny
A happy event for him; happy at a reply; happy in his home, with his friends, among his children; happy at the discovery, over his success.
gay, jocund, jolly, jovial, merry, mirthfuladjective
full of or showing high-spirited merriment
"when hearts were young and gay"; "a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company"- Wordsworth; "the jolly crowd at the reunion"; "jolly old Saint Nick"; "a jovial old gentleman"; "have a merry Christmas"; "peals of merry laughter"; "a mirthful laugh"
spanking, festal, comic, laughable, jocund, jovial, festive, brave, rattling, risible, braw, zippy, comical, sunny, funny, lively, gay, cheery, mirthful, amusing, homophile(a), snappy, brisk, alert, jolly
gay, festal, festive, merryadjective
offering fun and gaiety
"a festive (or festal) occasion"; "gay and exciting night life"; "a merry evening"
alert, brisk, lively, merry, rattling, snappy, spanking, zippyadjective
quick and energetic
"a brisk walk in the park"; "a lively gait"; "a merry chase"; "traveling at a rattling rate"; "a snappy pace"; "a spanking breeze"
jovial, natty, marvelous, festive, rattling(a), brisk, wondrous, nipping, peppy, spruce, resilient, mirthful, jocund, frosty, festal, tremendous, grand, marvellous, snappy, live, racy, bouncing, watchful, lively, bouncy, wonderful, dapper, jolly, gay, spanking, springy, alive(p), tonic, fresh, awake(p), nippy, raffish, jaunty, fantastic, alert, terrific, spiffy, rakish, rattling, snappish, howling(a), refreshful, dashing, spirited, full of life, bracing, crisp, whipping, refreshing, zippy, vital
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use merry in a sentence?
For I do not believe God means us thus to divide life into two halves - to wear a grave face on Sunday, and to think it out-of-place to even so much as mention Him on a week-day. Do you think He cares to see only kneeling figures and to hear only tones of prayer - and that He does not also love to see the lambs leaping in the sunlight, and to hear the merry voices of the children, as they roll amoung the hay? Surely their innocent laughter is as sweet in His ears as the grandest anthem that ever rolled up from the "dim religious light" of some solemn cathedral?
Merry; however, factually, Covid Christmas, enjoy inside the home, with selected family.
1. We are in the womb of materialism, in a cocoon of illusions of fear, where slaves are born. 2. Deja vu karmic, infantile nostalgia New neurons of thinking are formed in the anatomy of philosophy, evolutionary maturation is formed. In the bathysphere, the bottomless depth of philosophy is cognized with the unknown flora and fauna of evolutionary thinking. More and more often, one can feel the deja vu karmic, infantile nostalgia of romance keeps us in the karmic merry-go-rounds and the swing of childish stubbornness and cheerful fear. Where love finds eternity in the nostalgia of romance, a sense of the pricelessness of the moments. We remain in the past during life and after life. where we feel déjà vu as we are ghosts. Consciousness matures with each new life, and subconsciousness is a piggy bank of nostalgia. Reincarnation and the wheel of samsara is the kindergarten of infantilism and childhood fears. This is a time loop of a philosophical lesson in life. Incubator and cocoon of growing up. Amnesia lowers everything into oblivion, and life turns into nothingness, and only intuition is the navigator of genius and maturity in eternity. Life is not enough to understand its laws of variability, there are only theories. Only the evolution of fear and selfishness is possible. Science and culture are useless without knowledge of the future. 3. The game leads to the logical end of the cycle. From one playful, infantile mindset of manipulation of populism to another. All modes change as the design and graphics of the game reality change. 4. We are limited by the illusion of materialism in the small screen of marketing It's amazing how we are constrained by the illusion of materialism in the small screen of marketing. Nature seems to be endless as the earth is round. With its abundance and originality in colors. There, in natural landscapes, freedom of thought and the flight of poetry like birds in the sky. Computers suck life out of us as well as materialism. In nature, we feel the infinity of life, in the harmonious cycles of rebirth. The world is so gigantic and the screen is so small. Nature as the best decor for life. Sweet dream of life in nature. Life seems full, and the soul is full of happiness and romance. No urban autism. 5. Poetic beauty of a Kazakh woman You are my hot attraction, I do not control myself at all. I want to cling to you with my love like a leech. From your appearance, the impotent will get up, anyone will feel like a romantic. You are the eternal inspiration of romance. This is how your image sounds poetic in the bright colors of epic prose. You are the hard drug with the most powerful addiction. You are not enough all the time. Without you, everything is meaningless and insignificant. All grammy songs are about you. All that has to do with you are Oscar-worthy romantic films. The hot heat of love, the burn of passion from your body. Tongue and lips are drawn to you. Your image has powerfully merged in consciousness and subconsciousness. Powerful mental addiction. It's useless to give up on you. You are like an orgasm of poetry. You are like an endless love journey. Oh my God, my mind says, you are like an obscene delight. You are the medicine for my mind. 6. Hope is like leaves on trees. 7. Hints of awareness Polemics and discussion like wushu kong fu and contactless combat, subtly and refined, hints of awareness sound, the wisdom of redirected aggression sounds like a discussion of aikido. Battles for the heart. Consciousness, thinking as the direction of consciousness of the philosophy of life energy qi and prana of thinking. Where traditional folk music is the rhythms of the cyclical nature of life as the cyclical nature. Philosophy of life, its wealth and abundance. Meditative romance of being and the philosophy of life, its subtle vibrations of insight sound like a whisper of eternity. 8. We are a broken nature, we are cut off from the laws of nature from the romantic philosophy of being, but we preserve the pragmatism of the Stone Age. This is what connects us to the natural world. Instincts are our cradle of nature. On a cognitive level, thought development is how human evolution develops. 9. We're in the ghost matrix We are in a ghostly matrix, we are in the past and this is our eternity. In the time loop of karmic nostalgia, reincarnation and the wheel of samsara, where the philosophical romance of awareness of the soul and heart is intensified. We do not understand that we have been dead for a long time. 10. Poetry is an eloquent painting of emotions, a prosaic sense of reality. 11. The stages of life as the cycles of the moon, the regularity of the influence of the biology of the body, and only selfishness, money and character take away from the natural norm of the processes of life. 12. A person as a traveler in the world of nature of people, the subconscious as a vacuum cleaner accumulates and projects everything that is in this world, a person is like a turtle who moves on himself everything that humanity has created in his mind, like a heavy load, a person from this is still moving on on all fours like a turtle, thinking has become a whole industry of thought production. Where ideas are not a medicine, but only a commodity in the marketing of vanity and selfishness. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
People often think that holidays should be merry, bring relief, and make it easier -- and when they feel good they don't turn to real faith... Now we are going through hard times, people are starting to come closer to God, there are more people here than before, and that's good for us, today in the morning there was an air alarm, but now thank God it's calmer and we could come. It's very important for us. It's the church we visit often.
Merry Christmas to all. We will Make America Great Again!
Translations for merry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مرح, فرحArabic
- merieWestern Frisian
- נמרץ, עליז, ערני, שמחHebrew
- joyala, joyozaIdo
- 명랑한, 즐거운Korean
- alegre, festivoPortuguese
- живо́й, энерги́чный, ра́достный, оживлённый, весёлыйRussian
Get even more translations for merry »
Find a translation for the merry synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"merry." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 19 Aug. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/merry>.