English Synonyms and Antonyms
A sneer may be simply a contemptuous facial contortion, or it may be some brief satirical utterance that throws a contemptuous side-light on what it attacks without attempting to prove or disprove; a depreciatory implication may be given in a sneer such as could only be answered by elaborate argument or proof, which would seem to give the attack undue importance:
Who can refute a sneer?
PaleyMoral Philosophy bk. v, ch. ix.
A fling is careless and commonly pettish; a taunt is intentionally insulting and provoking; the sneer is supercilious; the taunt is defiant. The jeer and gibe are uttered; the gibe is bitter, and often sly or covert; the jeer is rude and open. A scoff may be in act or word, and is commonly directed against that which claims honor, reverence, or worship. Compare BANTER.
Only an essentially vicious mind is capable of a sneer at virtue.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
the act of mocking or ridiculing
"they made a mock of him"
constituting a copy or imitation of something
"boys in mock battle"
treat with contempt
"The new constitution mocks all democratic principles"
imitate with mockery and derision
"The children mocked their handicapped classmate"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use mock in a sentence?
When we got into the garage and into the house it looked like almost a mock up of( San Antonio), he knew very much what he was doing and kept that animal alive.
If you want to mock my getting sick, you can, you want me to be the story, you want my brother to be the story because you cant handle Trump. The numbers were supposed to disappear!
We don’t respect our elders —we don’t even respect our country, we’re stepping on our flag instead of stepping up to volunteer. And we mock the men and women that are fighting for us, but we praise the people that are fighting each other, guys.
If you give anyone on Twitter the chance to mock anything they will find a way to do that.
I was not imitating. I would never -- who would ever do that? If somebody had a disability, who would mock a disability? I would never. I'm a smart person ... Who would ever mock somebody, especially if you're running for office? i would have not done it, because it's confusing.
Translations for mock
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- nachäffen, aufziehen, nachahmen, Schein-, hochnehmen, nachgemachtGerman
- κοροϊδεύω, μιμούμαι, απογοητεύωGreek
- remedar, imitar, burlarSpanish
- ivata, jäljitelmä, teko-, pilkata, ilkkua, matkia, pilkka, pettää, väärennös, harjoituskoeFinnish
- imitation, se moquer, examen blanc, imiter, succédané, parodierFrench
- סניטה, סנט, אכזב, -דמהHebrew
- schernire, finto, deludere, derisione, imitare, deridere, parodiare, sbeffeggiare, scimmiottare, simulatoItalian
- 真似る, 嘲笑, 嘲り, 模造品Japanese
- ყალბი, მოჩვენებითიGeorgian
- whakatoitoi, whakatoiMāori
- herme, imitere, herme etterNorwegian
- naäpen, imiteren, namaak-, afgietsel, namaak, nadoen, imitatieDutch
- kpić, wyśmiewać się, udawany, sztucznyPolish
- imitar, desapontar, escarnecer, simulado, remedar, falso, motejo, escárnio, arremedar, simular, decepcionar, imitação, macaquearPortuguese
- передразнивать, пародия, подделка, поддельный, подражать, насмешка, имитироватьRussian
- reta, imitera, härma, efterapa, sken-, låtsas-Swedish
Get even more translations for mock »
Find a translation for the mock synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)