the act of mocking or ridiculing
"they made a mock of him"
constituting a copy or imitation of something
"boys in mock battle"
treat with contempt
"The new constitution mocks all democratic principles"
imitate with mockery and derision
"The children mocked their handicapped classmate"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A sneer may be simply a contemptuous facial contortion, or it may be some brief satirical utterance that throws a contemptuous side-light on what it attacks without attempting to prove or disprove; a depreciatory implication may be given in a sneer such as could only be answered by elaborate argument or proof, which would seem to give the attack undue importance:
Who can refute a sneer?
PaleyMoral Philosophy bk. v, ch. ix.
A fling is careless and commonly pettish; a taunt is intentionally insulting and provoking; the sneer is supercilious; the taunt is defiant. The jeer and gibe are uttered; the gibe is bitter, and often sly or covert; the jeer is rude and open. A scoff may be in act or word, and is commonly directed against that which claims honor, reverence, or worship. Compare BANTER.
Only an essentially vicious mind is capable of a sneer at virtue.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use mock in a sentence?
I saw—with shut eyes, but acute mental vision—I saw the pale student of unhallowed arts kneeling beside the thing he had put together. I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out, and then, on the working of some powerful engine, show signs of life and stir with an uneasy, half-vital motion. Frightful must it be, for supremely frightful would be the effect of any human endeavor to mock the stupendous mechanism of the Creator of the world.
The comment was written on a makeshift wall on our private property, normally used for a game of capture the flag, to mock the ideologies of a political candidate.
When we got into the garage and into the house it looked like almost a mock up of( San Antonio), he knew very much what he was doing and kept that animal alive.
I think it’s a really creative idea. I think that they took it at least a few steps too far. Nobody writes an entire message in emoji, you’ll likely see t-shirts that mock that campaign in all emoji.
I do not intend to address every inaccurate statement attributed to me -- but I do want to make this clear : there was no so-called' practice session' or're - enactment' of a mock interview at the Special Counsel's office, further, I did not refer to the President as a' liar' and did not say that he was likely to end up in an' orange jump suit'. It was a great honor and distinct privilege to serve President Trump.
Translations for mock
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- hochnehmen, nachäffen, nachgemacht, nachahmen, Schein-, aufziehenGerman
- κοροϊδεύω, απογοητεύω, μιμούμαιGreek
- burlar, imitar, remedarSpanish
- harjoituskoe, väärennös, ilkkua, pilkata, ivata, jäljitelmä, matkia, teko-, pilkka, pettääFinnish
- imitation, imiter, examen blanc, se moquer, parodier, succédanéFrench
- סניטה, אכזב, -דמה, סנטHebrew
- sbeffeggiare, simulato, derisione, scimmiottare, parodiare, schernire, finto, deludere, imitare, deridereItalian
- 模造品, 嘲り, 真似る, 嘲笑Japanese
- ყალბი, მოჩვენებითიGeorgian
- whakatoitoi, whakatoiMāori
- herme, herme etter, imitereNorwegian
- imitatie, nadoen, namaak, namaak-, imiteren, afgietsel, naäpenDutch
- kpić, udawany, wyśmiewać się, sztucznyPolish
- desapontar, escarnecer, simulado, remedar, falso, imitar, imitação, macaquear, simular, escárnio, decepcionar, arremedar, motejoPortuguese
- имитировать, подделка, насмешка, пародия, передразнивать, поддельный, подражатьRussian
- reta, sken-, låtsas-, efterapa, imitera, härmaSwedish
Get even more translations for mock »
Find a translation for the mock synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)