the act of mocking or ridiculing
"they made a mock of him"
constituting a copy or imitation of something
"boys in mock battle"
treat with contempt
"The new constitution mocks all democratic principles"
imitate with mockery and derision
"The children mocked their handicapped classmate"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A sneer may be simply a contemptuous facial contortion, or it may be some brief satirical utterance that throws a contemptuous side-light on what it attacks without attempting to prove or disprove; a depreciatory implication may be given in a sneer such as could only be answered by elaborate argument or proof, which would seem to give the attack undue importance:
Who can refute a sneer?
PaleyMoral Philosophy bk. v, ch. ix.
A fling is careless and commonly pettish; a taunt is intentionally insulting and provoking; the sneer is supercilious; the taunt is defiant. The jeer and gibe are uttered; the gibe is bitter, and often sly or covert; the jeer is rude and open. A scoff may be in act or word, and is commonly directed against that which claims honor, reverence, or worship. Compare BANTER.
Only an essentially vicious mind is capable of a sneer at virtue.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use mock in a sentence?
They actually offer Democrats fodder to mock the Trump legal strategy, kavanaugh wrote it was a' weak' legal argument to assert, as team Trump does, that a president can not be subpoenaed to testify.
I was mentally and physically tortured, they beat me in the basement, and there were so many mock executions – more than twenty times the Taliban put a knife to my neck. I never thought I would make it out alive.
People who mock New Jersey have never been to Somerset or Hundertdon counties.
This case goes to the heart of what it means to be an American, we have not only the right to criticize government, but to mock it mercilessly.
These are mock blood vessels, they are similar to blood vessels. The fluid that we are interested in comes across this tissue and then it bathes it with the drug, we give it caffeine, heart-on-a-chip beats and accelerates its heart rate. We give it adrenaline, it accelerates its heart rate.
Translations for mock
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- hochnehmen, nachäffen, nachgemacht, nachahmen, Schein-, aufziehenGerman
- κοροϊδεύω, απογοητεύω, μιμούμαιGreek
- burlar, imitar, remedarSpanish
- harjoituskoe, väärennös, ilkkua, pilkata, ivata, jäljitelmä, matkia, teko-, pilkka, pettääFinnish
- imitation, imiter, examen blanc, se moquer, parodier, succédanéFrench
- סניטה, אכזב, -דמה, סנטHebrew
- sbeffeggiare, simulato, derisione, scimmiottare, parodiare, schernire, finto, deludere, imitare, deridereItalian
- 模造品, 嘲り, 真似る, 嘲笑Japanese
- ყალბი, მოჩვენებითიGeorgian
- whakatoitoi, whakatoiMāori
- herme, herme etter, imitereNorwegian
- imitatie, nadoen, namaak, namaak-, imiteren, afgietsel, naäpenDutch
- kpić, udawany, wyśmiewać się, sztucznyPolish
- desapontar, escarnecer, simulado, remedar, falso, imitar, imitação, macaquear, simular, escárnio, decepcionar, arremedar, motejoPortuguese
- имитировать, подделка, насмешка, пародия, передразнивать, поддельный, подражатьRussian
- reta, sken-, låtsas-, efterapa, imitera, härmaSwedish
Get even more translations for mock »
Find a translation for the mock synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)