The quality of being a neighbor, living nearby, next to each-other
Our neighborhood was our only reason to exchange hollow greetings
A nearby area.
The inhabitants of a residential area.
The fire alarmed the neighborhood.
A division of a municipality or region, formally or informally divided
We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood
The quality of physical proximity.
The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood.
The disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will.
The neighborhood of a point x is... (depending on the author):
English Synonyms and Antonyms
In mathematics, approximation is not guesswork, not looseness, and not error. The process of approximation is as exact and correct at every point as that by which an absolute result is secured; the result only fails of exactness because of some inherent difficulty in the problem. The attempt to "square the circle" gives only an approximate result, because of the impossibility of expressing the circumference in terms of the radius. But the limits of error on either side are known, and the approximation has practical value. Outside of mathematics, the correct use of approximation (and the kindred words approximate and approximately) is to express as near an approach to accuracy and certainty as the conditions of human thought or action in any given case make possible. Resemblance and similarity may be but superficial and apparent; approximation is real. Approach is a relative term, indicating that one has come nearer than before, tho the distance may yet be considerable; an approximation brings one really near. Nearness, neighborhood, and propinquity are commonly used of place; approximation, of mathematical calculations and abstract reasoning; we speak of approach to the shore, nearness to the town, approximation to the truth.
The approximation of the vegetable to the animal type.
vicinity, locality, neighborhood, neighbourhood, neck of the woodsnoun
a surrounding or nearby region
"the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods"
people living near one another
"it is a friendly neighborhood"; "my neighborhood voted for Bush"
the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of')
"it was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"; "the price is in the neighborhood of $100"
an area within a city or town that has some distinctive features (especially one forming a community)
"an ethnic neighborhood"
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use neighborhood in a sentence?
Berkeley was middle class, lower middle class and working class, now, there's still a middle class, but in my neighborhood, there are homes going for $1, $2, $3 million dollars. You almost have to be well-to-do to live in Berkeley.
Having refugees also feeds into ISIS' appeal, and it feeds into the violence in the region, which is already the most violent region on Earth. So all in all, anything that goes in the neighborhood impacts the security and security of the Arab Gulf states who are by far the most stable and the most secure.
Our house was in a great, awesome neighborhood, great neighbors.
I began walking around my neighborhood instead.
When we hire people, we will hire them in their own neighborhood.
Translations for neighborhood
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قرب, جوار, حيArabic
- barriCatalan, Valencian
- sousedstvo, sousedstvíCzech
- omegn, nabolag, kvarterDanish
- Viertel, Stadtteil, Nachbarschaft, Kiez, im Bereich von, ungefähr, Quartier, UmgebungGerman
- περίχωρα, γειτονιά, γειτνίασηGreek
- najbareco, kvartalo, najbaraĵoEsperanto
- colonia, barrio, fraccionamiento, vecindadSpanish
- naabrid, naabrus, ümbruskondEstonian
- lähistö, alue, lähiympäristö, naapuri, kaupunginosa, naapurusto, naapuruus, naapurisopu, kulmakunta, läheisyys, suunnilleen, lähiseutu, ympäristöFinnish
- environs, voisinage, quartierFrench
- coimhearsnachdScottish Gaelic
- szomszédság, környék, szomszédokHungarian
- vicinato, quartiere, vicinanzaItalian
- 近所, 近隣, 周辺Japanese
- 近處, 근처Korean
- комшии, соседи, комшилук, соседствоMacedonian
- nabuurschap, nabijheid, wijk, kwartier, buurtDutch
- boområder, naboer, naboskapNorwegian
- vizinhança, bairroPortuguese
- округа, близость, соседи, окрестности, соседствоRussian
- súsedstvo, су́сједство, súsjedstvo, су́седствоSerbo-Croatian
- grannsämja, närhet, bostadsområde, grannskap, kvarterSwedish
- semt, etraf, mahalle, civar, komşuluk, çevre, konu komşu, mahalleliTurkish
- околиці, сусідство, округаUkrainian
- khu vực lân cậnVietnamese
- nilädanef, nilädVolapük
Get even more translations for neighborhood »
Find a translation for the neighborhood synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)