object, physical object(noun)
a tangible and visible entity; an entity that can cast a shadow
"it was full of rackets, balls and other objects"
aim, object, objective, target(noun)
the goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable)
"the sole object of her trip was to see her children"
intention, aim, objective, quarry, design, physical object, object lens, mark, butt, target area, object, prey, objective lens, intent, object glass, target, fair game, bearing, purpose, heading
(grammar) a constituent that is acted upon
"the object of the verb"
the focus of cognitions or feelings
"objects of thought"; "the object of my affection"
(computing) a discrete item that provides a description of virtually anything known to a computer
"in object-oriented programming, objects include data and define its status, its methods of operation and how it interacts with other objects"
express or raise an objection or protest or criticism or express dissent
"She never objected to the amount of work her boss charged her with"; "When asked to drive the truck, she objected that she did not have a driver's license"
be averse to or express disapproval of
"My wife objects to modern furniture"
object(noun)To disagree with something or someone; especially in a Court of Law, to raise an objection.
object(noun)The goal, end or purpose of something.
object(noun)The noun phrase which is an internal complement of a verb phrase or a prepositional phrase. In a verb phrase with a transitive action verb, it is typically the receiver of the action.
object(noun)A person or thing toward which an emotion is directed.
object(noun)In object-oriented programming, an instantiation of a class or structure.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
The aim is the direction in which one shoots, or sometimes that which is aimed at. The mark is that at which one shoots; the goal, that toward which one runs. All alike indicate the direction of endeavor. The end is the point at which one expects or hopes to close his labors; the object, that which he would grasp as the reward of his labors. Aspiration, design, endeavor, purpose, referring to the mental acts by which the aim is attained, are often used as interchangeable with aim. Aspiration applies to what are viewed as noble aims; endeavor, design, intention, purpose, indifferently to the best or worst. Aspiration has less of decision than the other terms; one may aspire to an object, and yet lack the fixedness of purpose by which alone it can be attained. Purpose is stronger than intention. Design especially denotes the adaptation of means to an end; endeavor refers to the exertions by which it is to be attained. One whose aims are worthy, whose aspirations are high, whose designs are wise, and whose purposes are steadfast, may hope to reach the goal of his ambition, and will surely win some object worthy of a life's endeavor. Compare AMBITION; DESIGN.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for object
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- كائن, مفعول, هدفArabic
- прадмет, аб'ектBelarusian
- предмет, обектBulgarian
- objecteCatalan, Valencian
- objekt, předmět, namítnoutCzech
- objekt, ting, indvendeDanish
- Objekt, Gegenstand, Einwände haben, dagegen sein, einwendenGerman
- αντικείμενο, σκοπός, αντιτίθεμαι, ενίσταμαι, αντιτείνω, διαφωνώGreek
- complemento, objeto, objetarSpanish
- چیز, شیء, مفعولPersian
- kohde, olio, objekti, esine, vastustaa, väittää vastaanFinnish
- objet, objecter, opposerFrench
- cuspairScottish Gaelic
- אוביקט, חפץ, מושאHebrew
- चीज़, कर्मHindi
- objèHaitian Creole
- tárgy, ellenezHungarian
- խնդիր, իր, օբյեկտArmenian
- objekto, objecionarIdo
- hlutur, andlag, andl., mótmæla, malda í mórinn, mæla á mótiIcelandic
- oggetto, obiettareItalian
- 物, 物件, オブジェクト, 目的語, 対象, 物体, 反対Japanese
- កម្មបទ, វត្ថុវិស័យKhmer
- 물건, 物件, 목적어Korean
- zavatra, mitohitra, tsy manaikyMalagasy
- предмет, објект, приговараMacedonian
- कर्म, वस्तुMarathi
- voorwerp, lijdend voorwerp, object, meewerkend voorwerp, ertegen zijn, protesterenDutch
- gjenstand, objekt, tingNorwegian
- przedmiot, obiekt, dopełnienie, sprzeciwiać sięPolish
- objeto, objetivo, objetarPortuguese
- obiect, lucru, obiecta, opuneRomanian
- объект, дополнение, предмет, возражать, возразитьRussian
- वस्तु, कर्मSanskrit
- وَٿَ, وَکَرُ, مفعول, نشانو, شَيSindhi
- objekat, objekt, објект, предмет, објекат, predmetSerbo-Croatian
- predmet, objekt, namietaťSlovak
- objekt, predmetSlovene
- föremål, objekt, protestera, invända, motsätta sigSwedish
- కర్మ, వస్తువుTelugu
- nesne, obje, cisim, karşı çıkmak, itirazı olmakTurkish
- об'єкт, предметUkrainian
- đồ vật, vật thể, tân ngữ, đối tượng, phản đốiVietnamese
Get even more translations for object »
Find a translation for the object synonym in other languages:
Select another language: