antonym, opposite word, opposite(noun)
a word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are antonyms of each other
"to him the antonym of `gay' was `depressed'"
reverse, contrary, opposite(noun)
a relation of direct opposition
"we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
opposition, opponent, opposite(noun)
a contestant that you are matched against
something inverted in sequence or character or effect
"when the direct approach failed he tried the inverse"
being directly across from each other; facing
"And I on the opposite shore will be, ready to ride and spread the alarm"- Longfellow; "we lived on opposite sides of the street"; "at opposite poles"
of leaves etc; growing in pairs on either side of a stem
moving or facing away from each other
"looking in opposite directions"; "they went in opposite directions"
the other one of a complementary pair
"the opposite sex"; "the two chess kings are set up on squares of opposite colors"
altogether different in nature or quality or significance
"the medicine's effect was opposite to that intended"; "it is said that opposite characters make a union happiest"- Charles Reade
diametric, diametrical, opposite, polar(adverb)
characterized by opposite extremes; completely opposed
"in diametric contradiction to his claims"; "diametrical (or opposite) points of view"; "opposite meanings"; "extreme and indefensible polar positions"
directly facing each other
"the two photographs lay face-to-face on the table"; "lived all their lives in houses face-to-face across the street"; "they sat opposite at the table"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use opposite in a sentence?
She is the light, there is too much darkness in America right now, based on hate and fear. She's the opposite of all that.
It's the combination of a market that overextended in the opposite direction because of Draghi's 'no more rate cut' comment and just some corrective natural price action into the risk of (a Fed meeting) that could be a little bit more hawkish.
It's all about the pendulum swing, it works both ways, you can see that $107 in the summertime was ridiculous and now you will see it in the opposite direction, probably towards the $50 range maybe by the end of the year and it's all sentiment based.
As far as I understand, the government has honored exactly what the contract defines, but the Korean company says the opposite has occurred. ... When there are these discrepancies...it is for the courts - if it gets to that point - to decide.
It's the opposite. I do my best to stop the bloodshed.
Translations for opposite
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- على العكس, آخر, ضد, مقابلArabic
- contrari, oposatCatalan, Valencian
- protilehlý, opak, opačný, protiklad, proti, druhý, naprotiCzech
- over for, modsatDanish
- andere, entgegengesetzt, gegenüber, gegenüberliegend, GegenteilGerman
- απέναντι, αντώνυμοGreek
- ضد, درمقابلPersian
- vastapäinen, opponentti, vastapäätä, vastaväittäjä, vastanäyttelijänä, vastustaja, vastakohta, antonyymi, vastakkainenFinnish
- adversaire, contraire, en face, opposé, en face deFrench
- urchomhaireach, ar aghaidhIrish
- fa chomhairScottish Gaelic
- ellentétes, túlsó, szembenlevőHungarian
- opposta, oppostoItalian
- 反対, 向かい側, あべこべ, 逆くJapanese
- GéigendeelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- വിപരീതം, എതിർMalayalam
- tegenstander, tegenovergestelde, tegenovergesteld, tegenoverliggend, tegenoverDutch
- sprzeczność, przeciwny, przeciwnik, przeciwieństwo, przeciwniczka, naprzeciwko, przeciwległyPolish
- antónimo, oposto, na frente dePortuguese
- opusă, opusRomanian
- противополо́жный, напротивRussian
- suprotan, супротанSerbo-Croatian
- mittemot, motsatt, motsatsSwedish
- వ్యతిరేకి, వ్యతిరేకం, వ్యతిరేక పదంTelugu
- zıt, karşıTurkish
Get even more translations for opposite »
Find a translation for the opposite synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)