airplane, aeroplane, plane(noun)
an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets
"the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
(mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape
"we will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane"; "any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane"
shroud, airplane, bed sheet, weather sheet, carpenter's plane, sheet, flat solid, tack, planing machine, sheet of paper, sail, canvass, woodworking plane, tabloid, canvas, rag, mainsheet, piece of paper, planer, aeroplane
a level of existence or development
"he lived on a worldly plane"
plane, planer, planing machine(noun)
a power tool for smoothing or shaping wood
plane, carpenter's plane, woodworking plane(adj)
a carpenter's hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood
"the cabinetmaker used a plane for the finish work"
flat, level, plane(verb)
having a surface without slope, tilt in which no part is higher or lower than another
"a flat desk"; "acres of level farmland"; "a plane surface"; "skirts sewn with fine flat seams"
savourless, flavorless, categoric, matt, even, insipid, level, monotonic, compressed, tied(p), flat, unconditional, matted, vapid, level(p), categorical, monotonous, two-dimensional, matte, monotone, savorless, prostrate, bland, mat, flavourless, unwavering
cut or remove with or as if with a plane
"The machine shaved off fine layers from the piece of wood"
travel on the surface of water
make even or smooth, with or as with a carpenter's plane
"plane the top of the door"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Horizontal signifies in the direction of or parallel to the horizon. For practical purposes level and horizontal are identical, tho level, as the more popular word, is more loosely used of that which has no especially noticeable elevations or inequalities; as, a level road. Flat, according to its derivation from the Anglo-Saxon flet, a floor, applies to a surface only, and, in the first and most usual sense, to a surface that is horizontal or level in all directions; a line may be level, a floor is flat; flat is also applied in a derived sense to any plane surface without irregularities or elevations, as a picture may be painted on the flat surface of a perpendicular wall. Plane applies only to a surface, and is used with more mathematical exactness than flat. The adjective plain, originally the same word as plane, is now rarely used except in the figurative senses, but the original sense appears in the noun, as we speak of "a wide plain." We speak of a horizontal line, a flat morass, a level road, a plain country, a plane surface (especially in the scientific sense). That which is level may not be even, and that which is even may not be level; a level road may be very rough; a slope may be even.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
How to use plane in a sentence?
The Plane!, The Plane!
My boss called and said: ‘There has been a plane into the World Trade Centre and we need you to get down there’, just as I was leaving that second plane hit, so I said to my wife: ‘This is not an accident, and you probably won’t be able to contact me and you won’t see me. It could be for a couple of days’.
When I think of that plane coming down and what she thought about, she must have thought about me and how I'm going to live. And the kids, they must have called their mommy, they must have cried out to their daddy, it will never leave me. It will never leave me.
The Sanders campaign was really still building the plane as they were flying it, but to their credit they have built an impressive organization given the time they had to build it.
Only once, I went mad in 2007, i got massaged into madness. I went on a holiday in the Maldives and I was extremely bored, so I thought, ‘I’ll have another massage.’ I was having about 30 massages a day. At the end of the holiday, I felt a little strange… I got on the plane to go home, opened the newspaper reading the football results, and I burst into tears. And I couldn’t stop crying for three weeks. It was completely absurd… so I went to see shrinks then.
Translations for plane
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ribotCatalan, Valencian
- plocha, letoun, rovina, rovinný, plochý, hoblík, letadlo, platan, hoblovat, plachtitCzech
- plan, høvl, flyver, platan, høvleDanish
- Flugzeug, Platane, Ebene, Flieger, Hobel, hobeln, gleiten, ebenGerman
- επίπεδο, επίπεδος, πλάνη, αεροπλάνο, πλάτανος, ίσος, πλανίζωGreek
- ebeno, rabotiloEsperanto
- plano, cepillar, cepillo, avión, platanoSpanish
- tasand, höövel, hööveldamaEstonian
- رنده, چنارPersian
- taso, siipi, höylätä, liukua, plaaniin, höylä, lentokone, plataanipuu, kone, plaanata, tasainen, nousta, liitääFinnish
- planer, plan, rabot, avion, platane, platFrench
- plána, plánáilIrish
- plèana, itealan, plèanScottish Gaelic
- מקצוע, מטוס, דולב, מישורי, הקציע, אווירוןHebrew
- gyalu, repülőgép, platán, repülőHungarian
- սոսի, տնջրի, հարթություն, ինքնաթիռ, չինարի, մակարդակ, օդանավ, չինար, հարթ, տափակArmenian
- hefill, heflaIcelandic
- planare, piano, pialla, aereo, platano, piallare, piallatrice, aeroplano, piallettoItalian
- ჭადარი, ჩინარი, თვითმფრინავი, ჭანდარიGeorgian
- huwwelen, Huwwel, Fliger, PlatanLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- waru, haupapa, kota, whakaeneMāori
- vlak, schaaf, vliegtuig, plataan, schaven, glijdenDutch
- høvle, plane, plan, høvel, fly, platanNorwegian
- chidí naatʼaʼíNavajo, Navaho
- wymiar, strug, płaszczyzna, hebel, samolotPolish
- plano, plátano, aeroplano, pairar, plaina, avião, aplainar, plainarPortuguese
- rindea, rabota, platanRomanian
- ровный, уровень, чинар, чинара, плоский, плоскость, рубанок, самолёт, платан, строгать, паритьRussian
- rende, strugSerbo-Croatian
- hobľovať, rovina, hoblík, lietadlo, platanSlovak
- plan, hyvel, hyvla, planaSwedish
- randa, ndegeSwahili
- చిత్రిక పట్టుTelugu
- rende, uçak, tayyareTurkish
- mặt phẳng, cái bào, máy bay, cây, trình độ, tàu bay, tiêu huyền, phẳng, mức, bào, bằng phẳng, bằngVietnamese
Get even more translations for plane »
Find a translation for the plane synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)