airplane, aeroplane, plane(noun)
an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets
"the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
(mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape
"we will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane"; "any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane"
shroud, airplane, bed sheet, weather sheet, carpenter's plane, sheet, flat solid, tack, planing machine, sheet of paper, sail, canvass, woodworking plane, tabloid, canvas, rag, mainsheet, piece of paper, planer, aeroplane
a level of existence or development
"he lived on a worldly plane"
plane, planer, planing machine(noun)
a power tool for smoothing or shaping wood
plane, carpenter's plane, woodworking plane(adj)
a carpenter's hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood
"the cabinetmaker used a plane for the finish work"
flat, level, plane(verb)
having a surface without slope, tilt in which no part is higher or lower than another
"a flat desk"; "acres of level farmland"; "a plane surface"; "skirts sewn with fine flat seams"
savourless, flavorless, categoric, matt, even, insipid, level, monotonic, compressed, tied(p), flat, unconditional, matted, vapid, level(p), categorical, monotonous, two-dimensional, matte, monotone, savorless, prostrate, bland, mat, flavourless, unwavering
cut or remove with or as if with a plane
"The machine shaved off fine layers from the piece of wood"
travel on the surface of water
make even or smooth, with or as with a carpenter's plane
"plane the top of the door"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Horizontal signifies in the direction of or parallel to the horizon. For practical purposes level and horizontal are identical, tho level, as the more popular word, is more loosely used of that which has no especially noticeable elevations or inequalities; as, a level road. Flat, according to its derivation from the Anglo-Saxon flet, a floor, applies to a surface only, and, in the first and most usual sense, to a surface that is horizontal or level in all directions; a line may be level, a floor is flat; flat is also applied in a derived sense to any plane surface without irregularities or elevations, as a picture may be painted on the flat surface of a perpendicular wall. Plane applies only to a surface, and is used with more mathematical exactness than flat. The adjective plain, originally the same word as plane, is now rarely used except in the figurative senses, but the original sense appears in the noun, as we speak of "a wide plain." We speak of a horizontal line, a flat morass, a level road, a plain country, a plane surface (especially in the scientific sense). That which is level may not be even, and that which is even may not be level; a level road may be very rough; a slope may be even.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
How to use plane in a sentence?
My dad was making funny faces, silly faces in the mirror and I felt like screaming the whole time, i know it’s to keep everybody on the plane safe, but she kept patting me down. Pat-down, pat-down. It was like, over and over.
It is a good plane, and having some number of them might be a good idea, but it is not the only aircraft that does air support and it's definitely not the only thing our military needs.
I'm looking out at the passengers and it's quiet and it's dark and it occurred to me at that moment how vulnerable the passengers were at the hands of the two men who were flying the plane, and he didn't have an answer. It was right there that I knew I had to figure it out.
This allows them to do dynamic planning while they are in route to an objective, they get on a plane and fly somewhere between 12 to 20 hours to get to an objective. During that time they have very little data. The transformation we are making is that they will be able to have voice communications along with huge amounts of data.
An act of terror with our plane and the terror attack in Paris ... have sharpened the global political agenda, the war is declared against the whole civilised world. The threat is global and, alas, is real. So the stance of some Western countries on Russia looks weird.
Translations for plane
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ribotCatalan, Valencian
- plocha, letoun, rovina, rovinný, plochý, hoblík, letadlo, platan, hoblovat, plachtitCzech
- plan, høvl, flyver, platan, høvleDanish
- Flugzeug, Platane, Ebene, Flieger, Hobel, hobeln, gleiten, ebenGerman
- επίπεδο, επίπεδος, πλάνη, αεροπλάνο, πλάτανος, ίσος, πλανίζωGreek
- ebeno, rabotiloEsperanto
- plano, cepillar, cepillo, avión, platanoSpanish
- tasand, höövel, hööveldamaEstonian
- رنده, چنارPersian
- taso, siipi, höylätä, liukua, plaaniin, höylä, lentokone, plataanipuu, kone, plaanata, tasainen, nousta, liitääFinnish
- planer, plan, rabot, avion, platane, platFrench
- plána, plánáilIrish
- plèana, itealan, plèanScottish Gaelic
- מקצוע, מטוס, דולב, מישורי, הקציע, אווירוןHebrew
- gyalu, repülőgép, platán, repülőHungarian
- սոսի, տնջրի, հարթություն, ինքնաթիռ, չինարի, մակարդակ, օդանավ, չինար, հարթ, տափակArmenian
- hefill, heflaIcelandic
- planare, piano, pialla, aereo, platano, piallare, piallatrice, aeroplano, piallettoItalian
- ჭადარი, ჩინარი, თვითმფრინავი, ჭანდარიGeorgian
- huwwelen, Huwwel, Fliger, PlatanLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- waru, haupapa, kota, whakaeneMāori
- vlak, schaaf, vliegtuig, plataan, schaven, glijdenDutch
- høvle, plane, plan, høvel, fly, platanNorwegian
- chidí naatʼaʼíNavajo, Navaho
- wymiar, strug, płaszczyzna, hebel, samolotPolish
- plano, plátano, aeroplano, pairar, plaina, avião, aplainar, plainarPortuguese
- rindea, rabota, platanRomanian
- ровный, уровень, чинар, чинара, плоский, плоскость, рубанок, самолёт, платан, строгать, паритьRussian
- rende, strugSerbo-Croatian
- hobľovať, rovina, hoblík, lietadlo, platanSlovak
- plan, hyvel, hyvla, planaSwedish
- randa, ndegeSwahili
- చిత్రిక పట్టుTelugu
- rende, uçak, tayyareTurkish
- mặt phẳng, cái bào, máy bay, cây, trình độ, tàu bay, tiêu huyền, phẳng, mức, bào, bằng phẳng, bằngVietnamese
Get even more translations for plane »
Find a translation for the plane synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)