airplane, aeroplane, plane(noun)
an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets
"the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
(mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape
"we will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane"; "any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane"
shroud, airplane, bed sheet, weather sheet, carpenter's plane, sheet, flat solid, tack, planing machine, sheet of paper, sail, canvass, woodworking plane, tabloid, canvas, rag, mainsheet, piece of paper, planer, aeroplane
a level of existence or development
"he lived on a worldly plane"
plane, planer, planing machine(noun)
a power tool for smoothing or shaping wood
plane, carpenter's plane, woodworking plane(adj)
a carpenter's hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood
"the cabinetmaker used a plane for the finish work"
flat, level, plane(verb)
having a surface without slope, tilt in which no part is higher or lower than another
"a flat desk"; "acres of level farmland"; "a plane surface"; "skirts sewn with fine flat seams"
savourless, flavorless, categoric, matt, even, insipid, level, monotonic, compressed, tied(p), flat, unconditional, matted, vapid, level(p), categorical, monotonous, two-dimensional, matte, monotone, savorless, prostrate, bland, mat, flavourless, unwavering
cut or remove with or as if with a plane
"The machine shaved off fine layers from the piece of wood"
travel on the surface of water
make even or smooth, with or as with a carpenter's plane
"plane the top of the door"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Horizontal signifies in the direction of or parallel to the horizon. For practical purposes level and horizontal are identical, tho level, as the more popular word, is more loosely used of that which has no especially noticeable elevations or inequalities; as, a level road. Flat, according to its derivation from the Anglo-Saxon flet, a floor, applies to a surface only, and, in the first and most usual sense, to a surface that is horizontal or level in all directions; a line may be level, a floor is flat; flat is also applied in a derived sense to any plane surface without irregularities or elevations, as a picture may be painted on the flat surface of a perpendicular wall. Plane applies only to a surface, and is used with more mathematical exactness than flat. The adjective plain, originally the same word as plane, is now rarely used except in the figurative senses, but the original sense appears in the noun, as we speak of "a wide plain." We speak of a horizontal line, a flat morass, a level road, a plain country, a plane surface (especially in the scientific sense). That which is level may not be even, and that which is even may not be level; a level road may be very rough; a slope may be even.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
How to use plane in a sentence?
( I) feel partly relieved to be on a new plane, but the crew is still loading bags and preparing the aircraft, so not certain when we'll actually take off, it's nearing 24 hours since we originally took off from Newark, so we're all feeling restless and frustrated. I'm just ready to be off the plane and finished with this experience.
He was detained for 12 days, but then ICE made the discretionary decision to simply let him go. They put him on a plane in Texas and his father had to pay for the ticket. His father picked him up at BWI Airport and he's been in this country with the full awareness of ICE.
If you're a person with an underlying condition and you are particularly an elderly person with an underlying condition, you need to think twice about getting on a plane, on a long trip, and not only think twice, just don't get on a cruise ship.
I know a plane's fast where it takes you, but if you really want to relax yourself, this is what you need to do, when you're on the train, especially one of these supertrains, these high-riding trains, you can see out the windows. ... It's really nice.
They told Mel Christler that it was the first plane used by Dwight Eisenhower as president, so Mel Christler decided to restore it with another fellow named Harry Oliver... and they flew it around in the early'90s. Attempts to sell the plane fell through and, after Mel Christler died, it eventually ended up at Marana Regional Airport where it now sits, after changing ownership to another group which includes Harry Oliver. They are now trying to sell it. Various entities have voiced interest, but nobody has yet come up with the money. Timothy Coons, who served as flight engineer on the plane's last flight 10 years ago, said.
Translations for plane
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ribotCatalan, Valencian
- plocha, letoun, rovina, rovinný, plochý, hoblík, letadlo, platan, hoblovat, plachtitCzech
- plan, høvl, flyver, platan, høvleDanish
- Flugzeug, Platane, Ebene, Flieger, Hobel, hobeln, gleiten, ebenGerman
- επίπεδο, επίπεδος, πλάνη, αεροπλάνο, πλάτανος, ίσος, πλανίζωGreek
- ebeno, rabotiloEsperanto
- plano, cepillar, cepillo, avión, platanoSpanish
- tasand, höövel, hööveldamaEstonian
- رنده, چنارPersian
- taso, siipi, höylätä, liukua, plaaniin, höylä, lentokone, plataanipuu, kone, plaanata, tasainen, nousta, liitääFinnish
- planer, plan, rabot, avion, platane, platFrench
- plána, plánáilIrish
- plèana, itealan, plèanScottish Gaelic
- מקצוע, מטוס, דולב, מישורי, הקציע, אווירוןHebrew
- gyalu, repülőgép, platán, repülőHungarian
- սոսի, տնջրի, հարթություն, ինքնաթիռ, չինարի, մակարդակ, օդանավ, չինար, հարթ, տափակArmenian
- hefill, heflaIcelandic
- planare, piano, pialla, aereo, platano, piallare, piallatrice, aeroplano, piallettoItalian
- ჭადარი, ჩინარი, თვითმფრინავი, ჭანდარიGeorgian
- huwwelen, Huwwel, Fliger, PlatanLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- waru, haupapa, kota, whakaeneMāori
- vlak, schaaf, vliegtuig, plataan, schaven, glijdenDutch
- høvle, plane, plan, høvel, fly, platanNorwegian
- chidí naatʼaʼíNavajo, Navaho
- wymiar, strug, płaszczyzna, hebel, samolotPolish
- plano, plátano, aeroplano, pairar, plaina, avião, aplainar, plainarPortuguese
- rindea, rabota, platanRomanian
- ровный, уровень, чинар, чинара, плоский, плоскость, рубанок, самолёт, платан, строгать, паритьRussian
- rende, strugSerbo-Croatian
- hobľovať, rovina, hoblík, lietadlo, platanSlovak
- plan, hyvel, hyvla, planaSwedish
- randa, ndegeSwahili
- చిత్రిక పట్టుTelugu
- rende, uçak, tayyareTurkish
- mặt phẳng, cái bào, máy bay, cây, trình độ, tàu bay, tiêu huyền, phẳng, mức, bào, bằng phẳng, bằngVietnamese
Get even more translations for plane »
Find a translation for the plane synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)