marked by suitability or rightness or appropriateness
"proper medical treatment"; "proper manners"
having all the qualities typical of the thing specified
"wanted a proper dinner; not just a snack"; "he finally has a proper job"
limited to the thing specified
"the city proper"; "his claim is connected with the deed proper"
appropriate for a condition or purpose or occasion or a person's character, needs
"everything in its proper place"; "the right man for the job"; "she is not suitable for the position"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
That is becoming in dress which suits the complexion, figure, and other qualities of the wearer, so as to produce on the whole a pleasing effect. That is decent which does not offend modesty or propriety. That is suitable which is adapted to the age, station, situation, and other circumstances of the wearer; coarse, heavy boots are suitable for farm-work; a juvenile style of dress is not suitable for an old lady. In conduct much the same rules apply. The dignity and gravity of a patriarch would not be becoming to a child; at a funeral lively, cheery sociability would not be decorous, while noisy hilarity would not be decent; sumptuous display would not be suitable for a poor person. Fit is a compendious term for whatever fits the person, time, place, occasion, etc.; as, a fit person; a fit abode; a fit place. Fitting, or befitting, is somewhat more elegant, implying a nicer adaptation. Meet, a somewhat archaic word, expresses a moral fitness; as, meet for heaven. Compare BEAUTIFUL.
The dress was becoming to the wearer. Such conduct was becoming in him.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use proper in a sentence?
The first thing we’re going to do is remove that student from the premises with proper authority, then, we’re going to have a home visit done by detectives of the sheriff’s department, and if no charges are filed, we’re going to conduct a threat assessment on the student.
Under the last administration, we didn’t treat these victims from the State Department community with the seriousness they deserve, that their own government did not believe them when they were injured or denied them proper medical attention and care is beyond the pale….For a while, they just got blown off. It’s inexcusable that they were treated this way, and it’s outrageous that we still don’t know who did it or what tools were used in these attacks.
Whatever decision we make and whatever actions we take, the responsibility for the consequences thereof will entirely rest with the South Korean authorities who stopped short of holding proper control of the dirty human scum.
Officers used Sanford Police as an opportunity to teach about the proper use of 911, then went and bought a large box of pizza and personally delivered it.
The more people that you see that have these unsolved murders in their families and unsolved crimes, it kind of puts that in proper context, you say, Ok, I'm not the only one suffering and feeling this way.
Translations for proper
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- adequatCatalan, Valencian
- slušný, vlastní, pravý, pořádný, správnýCzech
- richtig, angemessen, eigentlich, Eigenname, passend, eigenGerman
- adecuada, adecuado, conveniente, precisoSpanish
- oikea, kunnon, kelpo, erisnimi, luonnonvärinen, varsinainen, kunnollinenFinnish
- juste, propre, convenable, exact, appropriéFrench
- iomchaidhScottish Gaelic
- tulajdonnév, tényleges, saját, megfelelőHungarian
- համապատասխան, պատշաճArmenian
- proprio, decente, appropriato, adattoItalian
- まとも, 厳密, 固有, 適当, 完全, ふさわしい, 徹底した, 上品, 妥当, 特有, 品の良い, 適した, 完璧, 元, 独特, きちんとした, 本来, 適切, 全くJapanese
- сопствен, соодветен, пристоен, вистински, свој, добар, умесен, самиот, правилен, погоден, личен, прикладен, правMacedonian
- echt, grondig, juist, compleet, goed, eigen, eigenlijk, volslagen, keurig, net, geschikt, degelijk, zelf, deugdelijk, gepastDutch
- høvelig, egentlig, ordentlig, skikkelig, riktig, sann, egen, veloppdragent, korrekt, passende, høviskNorwegian
- propriamente dito, adequado, por completo, próprio, apropriado, decente, completoPortuguese
- как таковой, круглый, надлежащий, собственный, настоящий, подходящий, самый, соответствующий, полный, правильныйRussian
- lämplig, proper, riktig, egen, passande, äkta, egennamn, egentligSwedish
Get even more translations for proper »
Find a translation for the proper synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)