English Synonyms and Antonyms
That is becoming in dress which suits the complexion, figure, and other qualities of the wearer, so as to produce on the whole a pleasing effect. That is decent which does not offend modesty or propriety. That is suitable which is adapted to the age, station, situation, and other circumstances of the wearer; coarse, heavy boots are suitable for farm-work; a juvenile style of dress is not suitable for an old lady. In conduct much the same rules apply. The dignity and gravity of a patriarch would not be becoming to a child; at a funeral lively, cheery sociability would not be decorous, while noisy hilarity would not be decent; sumptuous display would not be suitable for a poor person. Fit is a compendious term for whatever fits the person, time, place, occasion, etc.; as, a fit person; a fit abode; a fit place. Fitting, or befitting, is somewhat more elegant, implying a nicer adaptation. Meet, a somewhat archaic word, expresses a moral fitness; as, meet for heaven. Compare BEAUTIFUL.
The dress was becoming to the wearer. Such conduct was becoming in him.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
marked by suitability or rightness or appropriateness
"proper medical treatment"; "proper manners"
having all the qualities typical of the thing specified
"wanted a proper dinner; not just a snack"; "he finally has a proper job"
limited to the thing specified
"the city proper"; "his claim is connected with the deed proper"
appropriate for a condition or purpose or occasion or a person's character, needs
"everything in its proper place"; "the right man for the job"; "she is not suitable for the position"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use proper in a sentence?
The proper basis for marriage is a mutual misunderstanding.
When we sing in stuffy offices and stuffy places, people eat it up because the world's gotten so corporate and PC, when you've got four guys in tuxedos walking around singing barbershop, it's such a deviation from the doldrums of proper business. There is a lighthearted irreverence to barbershop. We look at the way the world works and say, 'Everything's become so not fun, so let's make it fun again.'.
We created close to one hundred blends and ultimately selected what we knew was the one and only proper whiskey blend. We took the time to develop an incredible whiskey and I’m excited to share it with the world.
Our real blessings often appear to us in the shape of pains, losses and disappointments; but let us have patience and we soon shall see them in their proper figures.
Any person can be a perfectionist but he may need to give proper time to attain mastery and during this time, he needs to carry utmost patience and composure. Because results are not just a click away, you need to put best of your efforts even if you fail and once you get fail, you need to start it all again, which needs a lot of strength and patience. Thus, patience would make you prepared for the upcoming outcomes. Make patience your asset, success would eventually become your treasure.
Translations for proper
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- adequatCatalan, Valencian
- slušný, vlastní, pravý, pořádný, správnýCzech
- richtig, angemessen, eigentlich, Eigenname, passend, eigenGerman
- adecuada, adecuado, conveniente, precisoSpanish
- oikea, kunnon, kelpo, erisnimi, luonnonvärinen, varsinainen, kunnollinenFinnish
- juste, propre, convenable, exact, appropriéFrench
- iomchaidhScottish Gaelic
- tulajdonnév, tényleges, saját, megfelelőHungarian
- համապատասխան, պատշաճArmenian
- proprio, decente, appropriato, adattoItalian
- まとも, 厳密, 固有, 適当, 完全, ふさわしい, 徹底した, 上品, 妥当, 特有, 品の良い, 適した, 完璧, 元, 独特, きちんとした, 本来, 適切, 全くJapanese
- сопствен, соодветен, пристоен, вистински, свој, добар, умесен, самиот, правилен, погоден, личен, прикладен, правMacedonian
- echt, grondig, juist, compleet, goed, eigen, eigenlijk, volslagen, keurig, net, geschikt, degelijk, zelf, deugdelijk, gepastDutch
- høvelig, egentlig, ordentlig, skikkelig, riktig, sann, egen, veloppdragent, korrekt, passende, høviskNorwegian
- propriamente dito, adequado, por completo, próprio, apropriado, decente, completoPortuguese
- как таковой, круглый, надлежащий, собственный, настоящий, подходящий, самый, соответствующий, полный, правильныйRussian
- lämplig, proper, riktig, egen, passande, äkta, egennamn, egentligSwedish
Get even more translations for proper »
Find a translation for the proper synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)