question, inquiry, enquiry, query, interrogation(noun)
an instance of questioning
"there was a question about my training"; "we made inquiries of all those who were present"
the subject matter at issue
"the question of disease merits serious discussion"; "under the head of minor Roman poets"
motion, heading, promontory, psyche, school principal, nous, mind, head teacher, enquiry, head, point, top dog, brain, headland, query, inquiry, header, interrogation, principal, headspring, foreland, pass, chief, headway, read/write head, drumhead, head word, forefront, doubt, interrogative, capitulum, oral sex, fountainhead, caput, straits, dubiousness, doubtfulness, interrogative sentence
question, interrogation, interrogative, interrogative sentence(noun)
a sentence of inquiry that asks for a reply
"he asked a direct question"; "he had trouble phrasing his interrogations"
doubt, dubiousness, doubtfulness, question(noun)
uncertainty about the truth or factuality or existence of something
"the dubiousness of his claim"; "there is no question about the validity of the enterprise"
a formal proposal for action made to a deliberative assembly for discussion and vote
"he made a motion to adjourn"; "she called for the question"
interrogative sentence, dubiousness, doubtfulness, enquiry, motility, inquiry, apparent motion, movement, interrogation, query, apparent movement, gesture, motion, move, interrogative, head, doubt
an informal reference to a marriage proposal
"he was ready to pop the question"
question, oppugn, call into question(verb)
challenge the accuracy, probity, or propriety of
"We must question your judgment in this matter"
pose a series of questions to
"The suspect was questioned by the police"; "We questioned the survivor about the details of the explosion"
pose a question
conduct an interview in television, newspaper, and radio reporting
place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
"I wonder whether this was the right thing to do"; "she wondered whether it would snow tonight"
A sentence, phrase or word which asks for information, reply or response; an interrogative.
What is your question?
A subject or topic for consideration or investigation.
The question of seniority will be discussed at the meeting.
There was a question of which material to use.
A doubt or challenge about the truth or accuracy of a matter.
His claim to the property has come under question.
A proposal to a meeting as a topic for deliberation.
I move that the question be put to a vote.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Doubt is a lack of conviction that may refer either to matters of belief or to matters of practise. As regards belief, while doubt is lack of conviction, disbelief is conviction, to the contrary; unbelief refers to a settled state of mind, generally accompanied with opposition of heart. Perplexity is active and painful; doubt may be quiescent. Perplexity presses toward a solution; doubt may be content to linger unresolved. Any improbable statement awakens incredulity. In theological usage unbelief and skepticism have a condemnatory force, as implying wilful rejection of manifest truth. As regards practical matters, uncertainty applies to the unknown or undecided; doubt implies some negative evidence. Suspense regards the future, and is eager and anxious; uncertainty may relate to any period, and be quite indifferent. Misgiving is ordinarily in regard to the outcome of something already done or decided; hesitation, indecision, and irresolution have reference to something that remains to be decided or done, and are due oftener to infirmity of will than to lack of knowledge. Distrust and suspicion apply especially to the motives, character, etc., of others, and are more decidedly adverse than doubt. Scruple relates to matters of conscience and duty.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
interrogation, inquiry, query, quizzing, quiz, examination, objection, dispute, gainsaying, scruple, cavil, inquest, debate, discussion, disquisition, inquisition, subject, theme, topic, problem, proposition, interpellation
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use question in a sentence?
It was both extraordinary and disgraceful, they were very clearly coming out as apologists for terrorism... Those that have provided them with support must very seriously question not only their support for Cage but how they got to make such a decision to support an organization like this, i think there needs to be some very serious rethinking done by a number of these charities and NGOs about how they got into a position.
They would be impeachable offenses. Whether they're important enough to justify an impeachment is a different question.
There aren't too many question marks over the case so it's more a formality.
If they're gonna let five people go for one person, why won't they do this? Or why won't they do that?’ i actually asked the president that question when we were in the White House.
I have not had one person come up to me and question what's going on.
Translations for question
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سؤال, مسألةArabic
- запитване, питане, въпро́сBulgarian
- དོགས་གནདTibetan Standard
- qüestió, preguntaCatalan, Valencian
- otázka, téma, zpochybnitCzech
- Frage, Anfrage, Zweifel, hinterfragen, infrage stellen, fragen, bezweifeln, in Frage stellen, anzweifeln, befragenGerman
- απορία, ερώτημα, ερώτηση, ανάκριση, αμφισβητώGreek
- dubo, demando, dubiEsperanto
- cuestión, pregunta, tema, duda, asunto, tópico, moción, consultar, poner en tela de juicio, preguntar, cuestionar, dudar, interrogarSpanish
- itaun, galderaBasque
- پرسش, سؤال, مسئلهPersian
- kysymys, kyse, kidutus, asia, epäilys, kysyä, udella, kuulustella, kyseenalaistaaFinnish
- question, motion, doute, douter, mettre en doute, mettre en question, remettre en question, questionner, interrogerFrench
- ceistScottish Gaelic
- pregunta, cuestiónGalician
- प्रश्न, सवालHindi
- kérdés, kérdőre von, vallat, kikérdez, faggatHungarian
- հարց, հարցաքննելArmenian
- soal, pertanyaanIndonesian
- questione, domanda, mettere in dubbioItalian
- კითხვა, საკითხიGeorgian
- сұрау, сұрақKazakh
- 質問, 질문Korean
- rogatio, sciscitor, scisco, quaero, scitorLatin
- FroLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- urupounamu, pātai, marau, uiMāori
- прашање, сомневање, сомнение, сомнеж, оспорува, става под прашање, прашува, испрашува, распрашуваMacedonian
- pertanyaan, soalan, tanya, bertanyaMalay
- mistoqsija, kwistjoniMaltese
- ပုစ္ဆာ, အမေးBurmese
- sette spørsmålstegn ved, stille spørsmål vedNorwegian
- vraag, motie, kwestie, thema, twijfel, ondervragen, in vraag stellenDutch
- stille spørsmål ved, setje spørsmålsteikn vedNorwegian Nynorsk
- naʼídíkidNavajo, Navaho
- фарстOssetian, Ossetic
- ਸਵਾਲPanjabi, Punjabi
- pytanie, kwestia, pytać, kwestionowaćPolish
- پوښتنهPashto, Pushto
- questão, tema, pergunta, questionarPortuguese
- întrebare, întrebaRomanian
- вопро́с, допра́шивать, расспроси́ть, расспра́шивать, допроси́тьRussian
- пи́та̄ње, pítānjeSerbo-Croatian
- ප්රශ්නයSinhala, Sinhalese
- fråga, spörjning, spörsmål, tvivel, ifrågasättaSwedish
- савол, пурсишTajik
- sowal, soragTurkmen
- سوراق, سوئلاUyghur, Uighur
- پرشن, سوالUrdu
- soʻroq, savolUzbek
- câu hỏiVietnamese
Get even more translations for question »
Find a translation for the question synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)