Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a barrier consisting of a horizontal bar and supports
short for railway
"he traveled by rail"; "he was concerned with rail safety"
track, rail, rails, runwaynoun
a bar or pair of parallel bars of rolled steel making the railway along which railroad cars or other vehicles can roll
a horizontal bar (usually of wood or metal)
any of numerous widely distributed small wading birds of the family Rallidae having short wings and very long toes for running on soft mud
rail, rail inverb
enclose with rails
"rail in the old graves"
provide with rails
"The yard was railed"
rail, rail offverb
separate with a railing
"rail off the crowds from the Presidential palace"
convey (goods etc.) by rails
"fresh fruit are railed from Italy to Belgium"
travel by rail or train
"They railed from Rome to Venice"; "She trained to Hamburg"
aim, educate, cultivate, civilise, vituperate, civilize, groom, develop, discipline, take aim, vilify, check, condition, train, direct, coach, trail, inveigh, revile, take, rail off, rail in, fulminate, school, prepare
lay with rails
"hundreds of miles were railed out here"
fish with a handline over the rails of a boat
"They are railing for fresh fish"
vilify, revile, vituperate, railverb
spread negative information about
"The Nazi propaganda vilified the Jews"
"He fulminated against the Republicans' plan to cut Medicare"; "She railed against the bad social policies"
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use rail in a sentence?
We don't believe that the current standard is sufficiently robust to prevent liquid spilling in the event of a derailment or rail accident, so what we want to see are tougher standards for tank cars carrying flammable liquids.
The DOT is to be applauded for aggressively moving the ball forward on crude by rail safety.
The removal and replacement of these valves are not expected to significantly disrupt freight rail traffic.
The power usage, rail freight, as well as real estate prices and turnover have all improved into August, indicating the economy is stabilising amid fluctuations, the economy is expected to maintain steady growth and we are able to achieve annual economic growth target.
Mark Tierney were locked and loaded and ready to go, mark Tierney already had a war shot, a white bird on the rail, all of our fire control radars were pointing right at him. It was not going to take long for Mark Tierney to get the weapon away.
Translations for rail
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سكة حديديةArabic
- carrilCatalan, Valencian
- koleje, kolejnice, kolej, zábradlí, železniceCzech
- Bahn, Gleis, Fensterkreuz, Reling, Kreuz, Gleise, Geländer, Ralle, Balken, hetzen, Schiene, Eisenbahn, TürkreuzGerman
- carril, rascón, carrilera, railSpanish
- hyökätä, [[matkustaa]] [[junalla]], rautatie, mangrovekana, kisko, rääkkä, aidata, huitti, rata, luhtakana, [[järjestää]] [[jonoon]], vaahdota, kaide, räikkä, haukkuaFinnish
- rail, râleFrench
- rèileScottish Gaelic
- sín, vasútHungarian
- inferriata, divisorio, balaustra, binario, ringhiera, recriminare, rotaia, battagliola, parapetto, rallo, lamentarsi, ferrovia, porciglione, barra, grata, asta divisoria, corrimano, strada ferrata, inveireItalian
- 線路, ゴネる, 鉄道, 手すり, クイナ, ののしるJapanese
- kaho, tangotangoMāori
- rekkverk, sprosse, skinne, jernbane, gelender, slåNorwegian
- trilho, carrilPortuguese
- поручни, поперечина, железная дорога, перекладина, пастушок, ругать, рельс, перилаRussian
- tračnica, šinaSerbo-Croatian
- smäda, slå, räls, skena, spröjs, räl, räcke, rall, skällaSwedish
Get even more translations for rail »
Find a translation for the rail synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)