a barrier consisting of a horizontal bar and supports
short for railway
"he traveled by rail"; "he was concerned with rail safety"
track, rail, rails, runway(noun)
a bar or pair of parallel bars of rolled steel making the railway along which railroad cars or other vehicles can roll
a horizontal bar (usually of wood or metal)
any of numerous widely distributed small wading birds of the family Rallidae having short wings and very long toes for running on soft mud
rail, rail in(verb)
enclose with rails
"rail in the old graves"
provide with rails
"The yard was railed"
rail, rail off(verb)
separate with a railing
"rail off the crowds from the Presidential palace"
convey (goods etc.) by rails
"fresh fruit are railed from Italy to Belgium"
travel by rail or train
"They railed from Rome to Venice"; "She trained to Hamburg"
aim, educate, cultivate, civilise, vituperate, civilize, groom, develop, discipline, take aim, vilify, check, condition, train, direct, coach, trail, inveigh, revile, take, rail off, rail in, fulminate, school, prepare
lay with rails
"hundreds of miles were railed out here"
fish with a handline over the rails of a boat
"They are railing for fresh fish"
vilify, revile, vituperate, rail(verb)
spread negative information about
"The Nazi propaganda vilified the Jews"
"He fulminated against the Republicans' plan to cut Medicare"; "She railed against the bad social policies"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use rail in a sentence?
This inflexible requirement has been a fundamental barrier to financing high-speed rail in our country, is our leadership going to force projects throughout the United States to seek financial support for infrastructure in our country from foreign governments?
I suspect there may be some dampening on that, early indications are with low oil prices and the higher cost of rail it is tough to continue that (pace) going forward.
If sand is sand, then what matters is a facility on a rail that allows you to ship 100 railcars at once and beat me by $20 to $40 a ton in costs, the market is still very focused on costs.
Rail operators, relieved of heavy capital expenditure, can focus on providing reliable and well-maintained rail services for commuters.
The light rail is not a commercial business, it is a social infrastructure. Economically it's not very expensive, the longest you go you pay nothing more than 30¢. It is reliable, you can time yourself to go anywhere you want to go. So the convenient effect will give an added value to the city of Addis.
Translations for rail
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سكة حديديةArabic
- carrilCatalan, Valencian
- koleje, kolejnice, kolej, zábradlí, železniceCzech
- Bahn, Gleis, Fensterkreuz, Reling, Kreuz, Gleise, Geländer, Ralle, Balken, hetzen, Schiene, Eisenbahn, TürkreuzGerman
- carril, rascón, carrilera, railSpanish
- hyökätä, [[matkustaa]] [[junalla]], rautatie, mangrovekana, kisko, rääkkä, aidata, huitti, rata, luhtakana, [[järjestää]] [[jonoon]], vaahdota, kaide, räikkä, haukkuaFinnish
- rail, râleFrench
- rèileScottish Gaelic
- sín, vasútHungarian
- inferriata, divisorio, balaustra, binario, ringhiera, recriminare, rotaia, battagliola, parapetto, rallo, lamentarsi, ferrovia, porciglione, barra, grata, asta divisoria, corrimano, strada ferrata, inveireItalian
- 線路, ゴネる, 鉄道, 手すり, クイナ, ののしるJapanese
- kaho, tangotangoMāori
- rekkverk, sprosse, skinne, jernbane, gelender, slåNorwegian
- trilho, carrilPortuguese
- поручни, поперечина, железная дорога, перекладина, пастушок, ругать, рельс, перилаRussian
- tračnica, šinaSerbo-Croatian
- smäda, slå, räls, skena, spröjs, räl, räcke, rall, skällaSwedish
Get even more translations for rail »
Find a translation for the rail synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)