to express the need or desire for
to ask somebody to do something
condition of being sought after.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
One asks what he feels that he may fairly claim and reasonably expect; "if a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father," Luke xi, 11; he begs for that to which he advances no claim but pity. Demand is a determined and often an arrogant word; one may rightfully demand what is his own or his due, when it is withheld or denied; or he may wrongfully demand that to which he has no claim but power. Require is less arrogant and obtrusive than demand, but is exceedingly strenuous; as, the court requires the attendance of witnesses. Entreat implies a special earnestness of asking, and beseech, a still added and more humble intensity; beseech was formerly often used as a polite intensive for beg or pray; as, I beseech you to tell me. To implore is to ask with weeping and lamentation; to supplicate is to ask, as it were, on bended knees. Crave and request are somewhat formal terms; crave has almost disappeared from conversation; request would seem distant between parent and child. Pray is now used chiefly of address to the Supreme Being; petition is used of written request to persons in authority; as, to petition the legislature to pass an act, or the governor to pardon an offender.
Ask a person for a thing; ask a thing of or from a person; ask after or about one's health, welfare, friends, etc.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
request, petition, postulationnoun
a formal message requesting something that is submitted to an authority
the verbal act of requesting
request, bespeak, call for, questverb
express the need or desire for; ask for
"She requested an extra bed in her room"; "She called for room service"
ask (a person) to do something
"She asked him to be here at noon"; "I requested that she type the entire manuscript"
inquire for (information)
"I requested information from the secretary"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "request":
application, demand, ask, requisition, requests, claim, petition, requested, asks, asked, call, seek, requesting, calls, motion, asking, applications, pray, demande, appeal, requirement, order, demands, require, plea, solicit, submission, requisitions, apply, solicitation, complaint, seeks, requête, claiming, called, wondering, invitation, enquired, demanded, praying, ordering
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use request in a sentence?
I'm not going to New York City to host a fundraiser on Wall Street. Instead I'm going to hold a fundraiser right here, right now, across America. My request is please go to BernieSanders.com and contribute.
We cannot charge high fees for lodging of these children as parents cannot afford it. They often request us to admit the children with a promise of paying the fees later in the year, which never happens, we just cannot drive the children away, on humanitarian grounds.
We gave an official request to Leon to respond to Tobruk's appointment of the war criminal known as Hifter as the chief of the army.
Our request is that we need help with food so that our children are able to go to school and concentrate, last year we had a good harvest but this year we got very little. It was too hot and we received little rain.
There was a request that this work was not put out on MVS. There was a really tense and complex situation between us. Not in an imposing or imperative tone, more an attempt for me to 'show understanding'.
Translations for request
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- запытаць, запытвацьBelarusian
- petició, demanar, sol·licitudCatalan, Valencian
- žádat, žádost, požádat, prosbaCzech
- ansøgning, anmodeDanish
- Ersuchen, Bitte, Antrag, Anfrage, anfordern, Nachfrage, Begehr, begehren, erbitten, Ansinnen, Wunsch, verlangen nach, Gesuch, bitten um, Eingabe, erwünschenGerman
- pedir, petición, solicitud, demandaSpanish
- paluma, soovima, tellimusEstonian
- طلب کردن, درخواستن, درخواست کردن, درخواستPersian
- pyytää, anoa, pyyntöFinnish
- demander, requête, demande, prierFrench
- iarrtas, iarr, iarraidhScottish Gaelic
- kívánság, kérvény, kereslet, kérésHungarian
- խնդրանք, խնդրել, հարցում, հարցապնդում, խնդիր, հայցել, խնդիրք, պահանջարկArmenian
- 要求, 頼む, 依頼, 要望する, 要請する, 求めるJapanese
- 付託, 要求, 요구, 부탁하다, 要望, 부탁, 요망Korean
- تکا, doz, خواست, tika, داوا, داوا کردن, rica, dawa, daxwazKurdish
- prasīšana, prasīt, lūgšana, lūgt, prasība, lūgumsLatvian
- барање, баранMacedonian
- verzoeken, verzoek, vraagDutch
- requerer, requisição, pedir, requerimento, pedido, solicitarPortuguese
- cere, ruga, cerereRomanian
- запрос, просьба, запрашивать, требование, требовать, ходатайство, заявка, запроситьRussian
- be, anhållan, önskemål, utbedja, anmodan, uppmana, anhålla om, bön, utbe, begära, efterfrågan, begäran, bedja, önskan, anmodaSwedish
- ombi, maombiSwahili
- 請求, yêu cầu, 要求, thỉnh cầuVietnamese
Get even more translations for request »
Find a translation for the request synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)