request, petition, postulation(noun)
a formal message requesting something that is submitted to an authority
the verbal act of requesting
request, bespeak, call for, quest(verb)
express the need or desire for; ask for
"She requested an extra bed in her room"; "She called for room service"
ask (a person) to do something
"She asked him to be here at noon"; "I requested that she type the entire manuscript"
inquire for (information)
"I requested information from the secretary"
to express the need or desire for
to ask somebody to do something
condition of being sought after.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
One asks what he feels that he may fairly claim and reasonably expect; "if a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father," Luke xi, 11; he begs for that to which he advances no claim but pity. Demand is a determined and often an arrogant word; one may rightfully demand what is his own or his due, when it is withheld or denied; or he may wrongfully demand that to which he has no claim but power. Require is less arrogant and obtrusive than demand, but is exceedingly strenuous; as, the court requires the attendance of witnesses. Entreat implies a special earnestness of asking, and beseech, a still added and more humble intensity; beseech was formerly often used as a polite intensive for beg or pray; as, I beseech you to tell me. To implore is to ask with weeping and lamentation; to supplicate is to ask, as it were, on bended knees. Crave and request are somewhat formal terms; crave has almost disappeared from conversation; request would seem distant between parent and child. Pray is now used chiefly of address to the Supreme Being; petition is used of written request to persons in authority; as, to petition the legislature to pass an act, or the governor to pardon an offender.
Ask a person for a thing; ask a thing of or from a person; ask after or about one's health, welfare, friends, etc.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases:
application, demand, ask, requisition, requests, claim, petition, requested, asks, asked, call, seek, requesting, calls, motion, asking, applications, pray, demande, appeal, requirement, order, demands, require, plea, solicit, submission, requisitions, apply, solicitation, complaint, seeks, requête, claiming, called, wondering, invitation, enquired, demanded, praying, ordering
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use request in a sentence?
The situation between the United States and Cuba is an issue because they're talking, and could possibly deny us the support of the Cuban Adjustment Act and the ability to request asylum.
The culture I come from, the military culture, when a senior asks you to do something, even if it's polite and pleasant, it's not to be taken as a request, it's to be taken as an order, in this case, the power disparity between the two leaders, my impression is that in order to get the White House meeting, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky would have to deliver these investigations.
The government's decision has the support of the prime minister of Iraq and it responds to a formal request from the United States to contribute specific Australian Defence Force capabilities to this international coalition.
Canada is a country that understands how important it is to stand up for human rights, to stand up for women's rights around the world, and I can confirm that we have accepted the U.N.'s request.
We're talking to counsel. But remember that ours is a policy issue at the federal level, so far, the attorneys have been pretty clear that they don't think that it's applicable in the manner currently being discussed, because we are basing our request on ... federal law.
Translations for request
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- запытаць, запытвацьBelarusian
- petició, demanar, sol·licitudCatalan, Valencian
- žádat, žádost, požádat, prosbaCzech
- ansøgning, anmodeDanish
- Ersuchen, Bitte, Antrag, Anfrage, anfordern, Nachfrage, Begehr, begehren, erbitten, Ansinnen, Wunsch, verlangen nach, Gesuch, bitten um, Eingabe, erwünschenGerman
- pedir, petición, solicitud, demandaSpanish
- paluma, soovima, tellimusEstonian
- طلب کردن, درخواستن, درخواست کردن, درخواستPersian
- pyytää, anoa, pyyntöFinnish
- demander, requête, demande, prierFrench
- iarrtas, iarr, iarraidhScottish Gaelic
- kívánság, kérvény, kereslet, kérésHungarian
- խնդրանք, խնդրել, հարցում, հարցապնդում, խնդիր, հայցել, խնդիրք, պահանջարկArmenian
- 要求, 頼む, 依頼, 要望する, 要請する, 求めるJapanese
- 付託, 要求, 요구, 부탁하다, 要望, 부탁, 요망Korean
- تکا, doz, خواست, tika, داوا, داوا کردن, rica, dawa, daxwazKurdish
- prasīšana, prasīt, lūgšana, lūgt, prasība, lūgumsLatvian
- барање, баранMacedonian
- verzoeken, verzoek, vraagDutch
- requerer, requisição, pedir, requerimento, pedido, solicitarPortuguese
- cere, ruga, cerereRomanian
- запрос, просьба, запрашивать, требование, требовать, ходатайство, заявка, запроситьRussian
- be, anhållan, önskemål, utbedja, anmodan, uppmana, anhålla om, bön, utbe, begära, efterfrågan, begäran, bedja, önskan, anmodaSwedish
- ombi, maombiSwahili
- 請求, yêu cầu, 要求, thỉnh cầuVietnamese
Get even more translations for request »
Find a translation for the request synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)