remainder, balance, residual, residue, residuum, rest(noun)
something left after other parts have been taken away
"there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
remainder, relief, counterbalance, end, quietus, difference, relaxation, symmetry, equaliser, residual, ease, balance, proportion, residuum, repose, equalizer, counterweight, rest period, eternal sleep, residue, sleep, counterpoise, equilibrium, remnant, symmetricalness, equipoise, correspondence, oddment, balance wheel, proportionality, eternal rest, respite
rest, ease, repose, relaxation(noun)
freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)
"took his repose by the swimming pool"
rest period, tranquility, eternal sleep, repose, peace of mind, loosening, balance, relaxation behavior, relief, ease, simplicity, eternal rest, quiet, simpleness, easiness, placidity, informality, relaxation method, comfort, peace, relaxation, tranquillity, residual, quietus, liberalisation, peacefulness, ataraxis, remainder, residue, residuum, sleep, heartsease, serenity, slackening, liberalization, respite
respite, rest, relief, rest period(noun)
a pause for relaxation
"people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
backup man, rest period, stand-in, eternal sleep, repose, balance, respite, relaxation, relief, ease, suspension, backup, rilievo, succour, time out, assuagement, eternal rest, recess, reprieve, residual, succor, easing, break, alleviation, quietus, easement, reliever, abatement, fill-in, hiatus, substitute, relievo, residue, embossment, residuum, sleep, remainder, ministration, sculptural relief, moderation
a state of inaction
"a body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon"
rest, eternal rest, sleep, eternal sleep, quietus(noun)
euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb)
"she was laid to rest beside her husband"; "they had to put their family pet to sleep"
a support on which things can be put
"the gun was steadied on a special rest"
a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
not move; be in a resting position
rest, breathe, catch one's breath, take a breather(verb)
take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
give a rest to
"He rested his bad leg"; "Rest the dogs for a moment"
have a place in relation to something else
"The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"; "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
be at rest
stay, remain, rest(verb)
stay the same; remain in a certain state
"The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
breathe, quell, delay, bide, stick, pillow, stay, repose, last out, perch, ride out, persist, catch one's breath, appease, lie, remain, take a breather, reside, stick around, abide, stay on, stay put, outride, continue, detain, roost
rest, reside, repose(verb)
be inherent or innate in;
put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying
"Rest your head on my shoulder"
perch, roost, rest(verb)
sit, as on a branch
"The birds perched high in the tree"
rest on or as if on a pillow
"pillow your head"
be inactive, refrain from acting
"The committee is resting over the summer"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Ease denotes freedom from cause of disturbance, whether external or internal. Quiet denotes freedom from agitation, or especially from annoying sounds. Rest is a cessation of activity especially of wearying or painful activity. Recreation is some pleasing activity of certain organs or faculties that affords rest to other parts of our nature that have become weary. Repose is a laying down, primarily of the body, and figuratively a similar freedom from toil or strain of mind. Repose is more complete than rest; a pause is a momentary cessation of activity; a black-smith finds a temporary rest while the iron is heating, but he does not yield to repose; in a pause of battle a soldier rests on his arms; after the battle the victor reposes on his laurels. Sleep is the perfection of repose, the most complete rest; slumber is a light and ordinarily pleasant form of sleep. In the figurative sense, rest of mind, soul, conscience, is not mere cessation of activity, but a pleasing, tranquil relief from all painful and wearying activity; repose is even more deep, tranquil, and complete.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
quiet, quietness, inactivity, repose, ease, tranquillity, quiescence, stillness, stagnation, security, cessation, abeyance, intermission, respite, reprieve, pause, recess, sabbatism, cæsura, pause, support, stay, brace, residue, remainder, balance, residuum, others, surplus
RE1-silencing transcription factor, neuron restrictive silencer factor, NRSF, repressor binding to the X2 box, XBR, X2 box repressor, Neural-restrictive silencer factor
Restriction of Environmental Stimulation Therapy
How to use rest in a sentence?
The fact is, he's not going away. He defies the normal political laws of gravity, he may go up and down in the polls but he will be there when the first voting takes place in February. The rest of the field is going to have to get used to him and make their adjustments.
China has always wanted to maintain a normal and stable relationship with North Korea. China has no disagreements with North Korea in any issue area except nuclear, china had to respond strongly to North Korea's acceleration of nuclear development -- China had to join the rest of the international community to impose sanctions that really impacted North Korea.
Rest in peace. The mistake shall not be repeated.
As the currency denomination goes up and its availability increases in the market, it helps only the privileged class not the rest mass of the population simply because of the affordability criteria.
It was not an easy decision, i have to listen to my body and properly rest when needed. My back is simply just not ready for play next week. I'm sad to miss one of the best events of the season, OUR Championship.
Translations for rest
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- استراح, استراحة, راحة, أثارة, باقيةArabic
- dincəlmək, istirahətAzerbaijani
- адпачыва́ць, спако́й, адпачы́накBelarusian
- почива́м, о́тдих, почи́вкаBulgarian
- descansar, reposar, descans, repòs, restaCatalan, Valencian
- spočívat, odpočívat, zůstat, klid, pauza, odpočinek, oddech, podpěra, zbytekCzech
- ro, hvileDanish
- ruhen, Pause, Stillstand, Ruhe, Lehne, Pausenzeichen, Hilfsqueue, Erholung, RestGerman
- ακουμπώ, ξεκουράζομαι, αναπαύομαι, ξεκουράζω, παύση, ηρεμία, ακινησία, βάση, ανάπαυση, υπόλοιποGreek
- ripozi, ripozo, kvietmaso, kvieto, subtenilo, paŭzo, restaĵoEsperanto
- descansar, desistir, reposar, brazo, reposo, pausa, descanso, resto, sobraSpanish
- puhkus, jääkEstonian
- atseden hartuBasque
- استراحت کردن, آرامش, استراحتPersian
- huilia, levähtää, vetäytyä, [[asettaa]] [[noja, nojata, levätä, jäädä, lepuuttaa, huilata, tukea, lepotila, taukomerkki, lepo, sija, tyyneys, kannatin, lepotauko, tuki, tauko, teline, rauha, noja, paussi, paikka, rauhallisuus, loppuFinnish
- steðgur, hvíldFaroese
- reposer, paix, repos, resteFrench
- glac suaimhneas, sos, fos, támh, scíthIrish
- leig anail, laigh, cuir, tàmh, fois, anail, tosd, neo-ghluaisneachd, socair, còrr, càchScottish Gaelic
- descansar, repousar, asueto, descanso, repouso, restoGalician
- आराम करना, आरामHindi
- pihen, pihenésHungarian
- հանգստանալ, հանգիստ, դադար, քունArmenian
- apogar, repozarIdo
- hvíla, hvíld, þögn, rest, afgangurIcelandic
- riposarsi, riposare, riposo, pace, restoItalian
- 休む, 休み, 残りJapanese
- 쉬다, 休息, 휴식Korean
- эс алыш, дем алыш, дем алууKyrgyz
- requiesco, jaceoLatin
- raschten, RaschtLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- okioki, whakanā, mōmōhanga, toengaMāori
- почива, одморMacedonian
- विश्रांति करने, आराम, विश्रांतीMarathi
- stilstaan, rusten, daarbij laten, rust, nachtrust, stilstand, kalmte, rest, rusttekenDutch
- odpoczywać, odpoczynek, resztaPolish
- repousar, deitar, descansar, pausa, repouso, paz, descanso, apoio, descanso eterno, tranquilidade, sobra, restoPortuguese
- repauza, odihni, repaus, semn de pauză, pace, odihnă, restRomanian
- остава́ться, отдыха́ть, отдохну́ть, почива́ть, оста́ться, о́тдых, па́уза, подста́вка, упо́р, поко́й, подпо́рка, оста́токRussian
- odmoriti, počivati, почивати, одморити, odmor, одморSerbo-Croatian
- odpočívať, pokoj, odpočinokSlovak
- spočiti, mirovati, počivati, počitek, oddih, mirovanje, ostanekSlovene
- vila, låta, ligga, paustecken, stöd, paus, restSwedish
- నిశ్చలము, నూతనోత్సహము, విడుదలగుట, ఉపశమనము, మిగిలినవారు, మిగిలినది, మిగిలినవిTelugu
- พักผ่อน, การพักผ่อนThai
- dinlenmek, dinlenmeTurkish
- відпочива́ти, відпочи́нок, ре́штаUkrainian
- olmoq, dam, istirohatUzbek
- nghỉ ngơiVietnamese
Get even more translations for rest »
Find a translation for the rest synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)