To declare a sentence on a convicted person.
The judge sentenced the embezzler to ten years in prison, along with a hefty fine.
Someone's pronounced opinion or judgment on a given question.
The decision or judgement of a jury or court; a verdict.
The court returned a sentence of guilt in the first charge, but innocence in the second.
The judicial order for a punishment to be imposed on a person convicted of a crime.
The judge declared a sentence of death by hanging for the infamous cattle rustler.
A saying, especially form a great person; a maxim, an apophthegm.
A grammatically complete series of words consisting of a subject and predicate, even if one or the other is implied, and typically beginning with a capital letter and ending with a full stop.
The children were made to construct sentences consisting of nouns and verbs from the list on the chalkboard.
A formula with no free variables.
Any of the set of strings that can be generated by a given formal grammar.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To condemn is to pass judicial sentence or render judgment or decision against. We may censure silently; we condemn ordinarily by open and formal utterance. Condemn is more final than blame or censure; a condemned criminal has had his trial; a condemned building can not stand; a condemned ship can not sail. A person is convicted when his guilt is made clearly manifest to others; in somewhat archaic use, a person is said to be convicted when guilt is brought clearly home to his own conscience (convict in this sense being allied with convince, which see under PERSUADE); in legal usage one is said to be convicted only by the verdict of a jury. In stating the penalty of an offense, the legal word sentence is now more common than condemn; as, he was sentenced to imprisonment; but it is good usage to say, he was condemned to imprisonment. To denounce is to make public or official declaration against, especially in a violent and threatening manner.
From the pulpits in the northern States Burr was denounced as an assassin.
CoffinBuilding the Nation ch. 10, p. 137. [ Harper & Bros.'83.]
To doom is to condemn solemnly and consign to evil or destruction or to predetermine to an evil destiny; an inferior race in presence of a superior is doomed to subjugation or extinction. Compare ARRAIGN; REPROVE.
The bandit was condemned to death for his crime.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a string of words satisfying the grammatical rules of a language
"he always spoke in grammatical sentences"
conviction, judgment of conviction, condemnation, sentencenoun
(criminal law) a final judgment of guilty in a criminal case and the punishment that is imposed
"the conviction came as no surprise"
prison term, sentence, timeverb
the period of time a prisoner is imprisoned
"he served a prison term of 15 months"; "his sentence was 5 to 10 years"; "he is doing time in the county jail"
sentence, condemn, doomverb
pronounce a sentence on (somebody) in a court of law
"He was condemned to ten years in prison"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of known nicknames for "Sentence":
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use sentence in a sentence?
Whatever sentence will bear to be read twice, we may be sure was thought twice.
Maybe we are not as strong as other teams, but we work harder. To make a long sentence short, if I compare the Chinese team to the French team, Chinese women work harder and they complain much less.
The government of Sri Lanka is very happy to announce that the appeal for clemency on the sentence was successful and the Sri Lankan national will have to serve a reduced term in prison.
Sheriff Green sold the business of his office for hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes and kickbacks, today's sentence holds him accountable for his near-decade-long betrayal of the public trust.
The fix was in from the start, this project amounts to a death sentence for the South Resident orcas.
Translations for sentence
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ዓረፍተ ነገርAmharic
- جُمْلة, حكمArabic
- сказ, фра́заBelarusian
- присъ̀да, фра́за, осъждане, изрече́ние, осъждамBulgarian
- ཙིག་གྲུབTibetan Standard
- frase, sentènciaCatalan, Valencian
- rozsudek, věta, trest, sentence, odsouzení, odsouditCzech
- Satz, Strafe, Schuldspruch, Verurteilung, Urteil, verurteilenGerman
- frazo, kondamnoEsperanto
- sentencia, oración, condena, pena, punición, condenar, sentenciar, fraseSpanish
- lause, kohtuotsus, süüdimõistmineEstonian
- جمله, گزارهPersian
- tuomio, lause, virke, sanonta, ratkaisu, rangaistus, päätös, lausunto, tuomitaFinnish
- peine, phrase, jugement, punir, condamnerFrench
- binn, peanas, seantans, breith, rosg-rannScottish Gaelic
- büntetés, ítélet, mondat, elítélHungarian
- sententia, condemnation, pena, phrase, sententiarInterlingua
- pena, frase, condanna, condannareItalian
- 文章, 判決, 文Japanese
- сөйлем, ұсынымKazakh
- ល្បះ, ប្រយោគKhmer
- 판결, 문장Korean
- sententia, addīcōLatin
- SazLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ການຕັດສິນ, ປະໂຫຍກLao
- пре́суда, о́суда, рече́ница, досудува, пресудува, осудуваMacedonian
- dom, domsslutningNorwegian
- uitspraak, veroordeling, oordeel, zin, vonnis, strafDutch
- setning, straff, dom, dømmeNorwegian
- zdanie, wyrok, orzeczenie, skazaćPolish
- condenação, sentença, frase, pena, sentenciarPortuguese
- verdict, propoziție, opinie, sentințăRomanian
- пригово́р, фра́за, предложе́ние, наказа́ние, осужде́ние, приговори́ть, пригова́риватьRussian
- реченица, ȍsuda, rečènica, prȅsuda, presúditi, osúditiSerbo-Croatian
- rozsudok, vetaSlovak
- straff, fras, mening, dom, sättning, döma, avkunnaSwedish
- kifungo, sentensiSwahili
- శిక్ష, వాక్యముTelugu
- sözlem, hökümTurkmen
- tümce, cümleTurkish
- جۈملەUyghur, Uighur
- фра́за, ре́ченняUkrainian
- gap, jumlaUzbek
Get even more translations for sentence »
Find a translation for the sentence synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)