Having little depth; significantly less deep than wide.
The ship ran aground in an unexpected shallow.
The water is shallow here
It was a glamorous but shallow lifestyle
The acting is good, but the characters are shallow
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a stretch of shallow water
lacking physical depth; having little spatial extension downward or inward from an outer surface or backward or outward from a center
"shallow water"; "a shallow dish"; "a shallow cut"; "a shallow closet"; "established a shallow beachhead"; "hit the ball to shallow left field"
not deep or strong; not affecting one deeply
"shallow breathing"; "a night of shallow fretful sleep"; "in a shallow trance"
lacking depth of intellect or knowledge; concerned only with what is obvious
"shallow people"; "his arguments seemed shallow and tedious"
"The silt shallowed the canal"
"the lake shallowed over time"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use shallow in a sentence?
This is in pretty shallow water generally, so there is every chance this is just ‘warm springs’ or seeps of ground water flowing from the mountains inland that make their presence known in this particular area, the other possibility is that warmer water from Beaufort currents or out of the Mackenzie River is finding its way to the surface due to interacting with the bathymetry, just the way some polynyas form.
Before this (borehole) we used to walk long distances every morning to get water before coming back to go to school, most of the shallow wells in the area had dried up and the closest one was two kilometers away. Sometimes the water would get very dirty and not safe to drink.
Shallow understanding accompanies poor compassion, great understanding goes with great compassion.
One does not become a great swimmer by swimming in shallow waters.
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.
Translations for shallow
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- superficial, poc profund, plaCatalan, Valencian
- mělčina, povrchní, mělkýCzech
- lavvandet, lav, overfladisk, flad, åndsforladtDanish
- oberflächlich, seicht, Untiefe, flachGerman
- superficial, bajo, desinteresante, bajofondo, poco profundoSpanish
- تخت, تنک, کم عمقPersian
- pinnallinen, matalaFinnish
- baisse, haut-fond, superficiel, peu profond, bas-fondFrench
- eu-domhainn, faoin, tanalachdScottish Gaelic
- sekélyes, lapos, felületes, felszínes, sekélyHungarian
- pauco profundeInterlingua
- poco profondo, superficiale, seccaItalian
- 川瀬, 浅いJapanese
- pāti, pāpakuMāori
- плитак, површен, плитокMacedonian
- overfladisk, grunn, overflatisk, lav, flatNorwegian
- ondiep, ondiepte, oppervlakkigDutch
- lav, flat, overflatisk, grunnNorwegian Nynorsk
- raso, rasa, desinteressante, superficialPortuguese
- puțin adânc, platRomanian
- мель, поверхностный, мелкий, отмель, неглубокийRussian
- ytlig, grundSwedish
- поверхневий, мілкий, мілина, неглибокийUkrainian
- Nông cạnVietnamese
Get even more translations for shallow »
Find a translation for the shallow synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)