Synonyms for skim
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word skim.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms3.0 / 1 vote
Princeton's WordNet2.0 / 1 vote
a thin layer covering the surface of a liquid
"there was a thin skim of oil on the water"
reading or glancing through quickly
used of milk and milk products from which the cream has been removed
"yogurt made with skim milk"; "she can drink skimmed milk but should avoid butter"
travel on the surface of water
skim over, skimverb
move or pass swiftly and lightly over the surface of
scan, skim, rake, glance over, run downverb
"She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi"
plane, run over, conk out, play out, scan, graze, sap, skim off, skitter, crease, run down, poop out, run out, peter out, exhaust, glance over, check out, cream, rake, cream off, read, skip, skim over, tire
skim, skip, skitterverb
cause to skip over a surface
"Skip a stone across the pond"
plane, skip over, bound off, hop, scurry, scan, decamp, skim over, vamoose, skim off, hop-skip, run down, cut, scuttle, glance over, pass over, skitter, cream, rake, cream off, skip, scamper, jump
coat (a liquid) with a layer
skim, skim off, cream off, creamverb
remove from the surface
"skim cream from the surface of milk"
skim, skim oververb
Words popularity by usage frequency
Things are seldom what they seem, skim milk masquerades as cream.
Just as the track of birds that cleave the air Is not discovered, nor yet the path of fish That skim the water, so the course of those Who do good actions is not always seen.
Cereal is a delicious and nutritious breakfast, numerous studies show that a cereal breakfast is associated with lower BMIs (body mass index) in both children and adults. As a matter of fact, a serving of Frosted Flakes with skim milk has just 150 calories and delivers valuable nutrients including calcium, B vitamins and iron.
When I have coffee I can have regular milk not skim milk, they don’t’ want anything low-fat. Non-fat is like, not allowed.
Translations for skim
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- hodit žabku, listovatCzech
- skimme, rikochettere, slå smutDanish
- abprallen, abstreichen, abschöpfen, übers Wasser hüpfen lassen, überfliegenGerman
- encima, rebotar, hojear, descremado, por, leer, desnatarSpanish
- silmäillä, heittää leipiä, kimmota, heittää leipää, kaapia, lukaista, kuoriaFinnish
- écrémer, ricocher, des, feuilleter, faire, ricochetsFrench
- kacsázik, visszapattanHungarian
- schiumare, scremato, rimbalzare, scorrere, scremare, spannareItalian
- 飛びはねる, ざっと読む, 読み流す, 読み飛ばすJapanese
- kirīmikore, kore kirīmiMāori
- afromen, doorbladeren, afgeroomd, diagonaal, afschrapen, lezen, afketsen, ketsenDutch
- ricochetear, diagonal, superficialmente, em, lerPortuguese
- снимать, пускать блинчики, листать, бегло прочитывать, пролистывать, бить рикошетом, рикошетироватьRussian
- studsa, skumma, kasta macka, rikoschettera, ögna igenomSwedish
Get even more translations for skim »
Find a translation for the skim synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"skim." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 1 Dec. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/skim>.