a thin layer covering the surface of a liquid
"there was a thin skim of oil on the water"
reading or glancing through quickly
used of milk and milk products from which the cream has been removed
"yogurt made with skim milk"; "she can drink skimmed milk but should avoid butter"
travel on the surface of water
skim over, skim(verb)
move or pass swiftly and lightly over the surface of
scan, skim, rake, glance over, run down(verb)
"She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi"
plane, run over, conk out, play out, scan, graze, sap, skim off, skitter, crease, run down, poop out, run out, peter out, exhaust, glance over, check out, cream, rake, cream off, read, skip, skim over, tire
skim, skip, skitter(verb)
cause to skip over a surface
"Skip a stone across the pond"
plane, skip over, bound off, hop, scurry, scan, decamp, skim over, vamoose, skim off, hop-skip, run down, cut, scuttle, glance over, pass over, skitter, cream, rake, cream off, skip, scamper, jump
coat (a liquid) with a layer
skim, skim off, cream off, cream(verb)
remove from the surface
"skim cream from the surface of milk"
skim, skim over(verb)
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
pass lightly or superficially
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use skim in a sentence?
Five daily newspapers arrive in my California driveway. The New York times and the Wall Street Journal are supplemented by three local papers. As for magazines, I read, or at least skim, Business Week, Forbes, The Economist, INC; Industry Week, Fortune. Other subscriptions include Sales and Marketing Management, Modern Health Care, Progressive Grocer, High Tech Business, and Slaon Management Review from MIT. I religiously read Business Tokyo, Asia Week, and Far Eastern Economic Review. I glance at Newsweek and Time ... but I devour the New Republic, Policy Review, Foreign Affairs, The Washington Monthly, and Public Interest. How about books? A dozen or more each month.
Cereal is a delicious and nutritious breakfast, numerous studies show that a cereal breakfast is associated with lower BMIs (body mass index) in both children and adults. As a matter of fact, a serving of Frosted Flakes with skim milk has just 150 calories and delivers valuable nutrients including calcium, B vitamins and iron.
When I have coffee I can have regular milk not skim milk, they don’t’ want anything low-fat. Non-fat is like, not allowed.
Just as the track of birds that cleave the air Is not discovered, nor yet the path of fish That skim the water, so the course of those Who do good actions is not always seen.
Things are seldom what they seem, skim milk masquerades as cream.
Translations for skim
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- listovat, hodit žabkuCzech
- slå smut, skimme, rikochettereDanish
- abschöpfen, abprallen, überfliegen, übers Wasser hüpfen lassen, abstreichenGerman
- desnatar, por, hojear, rebotar, descremado, leer, encimaSpanish
- kaapia, kuoria, lukaista, heittää leipiä, silmäillä, kimmota, heittää leipääFinnish
- ricochets, faire, feuilleter, écrémer, ricocher, desFrench
- visszapattan, kacsázikHungarian
- scremare, schiumare, scremato, scorrere, spannare, rimbalzareItalian
- 読み流す, ざっと読む, 読み飛ばす, 飛びはねるJapanese
- kore kirīmi, kirīmikoreMāori
- ketsen, afromen, afketsen, afgeroomd, afschrapen, diagonaal, lezen, doorbladerenDutch
- diagonal, ler, ricochetear, em, superficialmentePortuguese
- листать, бегло прочитывать, рикошетировать, пускать блинчики, снимать, пролистывать, бить рикошетомRussian
- skumma, rikoschettera, ögna igenom, studsa, kasta mackaSwedish
Get even more translations for skim »
Find a translation for the skim synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)