enchantment, spell, trance(noun)
a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
go, spell, tour, turn(noun)
a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else)
"it's my go"; "a spell of work"
hitch, cristal, enlistment, act, hug drug, disco biscuit, piece, twist, turning, whirl, duty tour, trance, bend, routine, bit, turn of events, tour of duty, crook, term of enlistment, round, offer, circuit, tour, play, go, number, crack, pass, enchantment, charm, good turn, while, fling, ecstasy, go game, magical spell, bout, magic spell, turn, patch
while, piece, spell, patch(noun)
a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition
"he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
darn, small-arm, turn, maculation, spot, piece, eyepatch, bandage, objet d'art, slice, bit, firearm, trance, composition, dapple, part, plot of land, patch, temporary hookup, tour, fleck, go, piece of music, man, enchantment, speckle, charm, while, art object, magical spell, magic spell, plot, opus, plot of ground, mend, musical composition
spell, magic spell, magical spell, charm(verb)
a verbal formula believed to have magical force
"he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"
spell, spell out(verb)
orally recite the letters of or give the spelling of
"How do you spell this word?" "We had to spell out our names for the police officer"
indicate or signify
"I'm afraid this spells trouble!"
write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word)
"He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
relieve (someone) from work by taking a turn
"She spelled her husband at the wheel"
place under a spell
take turns working
"the workers spell every four hours"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use spell in a sentence?
In his second spell when he came back, for some reason towards the end of my time I found him to be really disrespectful towards me so we had a bit of fallout, he questioned my loyalty and I told him where to go.
All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and frustration is this: Act as if it were impossible to fail. That is the talisman, the formula, the command of right-about-face which turns us from failure towards success.
A wizard cannot do everything; a fact most magicians are reticent to admit, let alone discuss with prospective clients. Still, the fact remains that there are certain objects, and people, that are, for one reason or another, completely immune to any direct magical spell. It is for this group of beings that the magician learns the subtleties of using indirect spells. It also does no harm, in dealing with these matters, to carry a large club near your person at all times.
We've owned this stock before I even knew how to spell Zika.
It's gotten ridiculous, we're getting bills that have over 10 words in the title just so they can spell something that's supposed to be clever.
Translations for spell
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تهجئ, تعويذةArabic
- conjur, embruixament, encantament, encís, lletrejarCatalan, Valencian
- kouzlo, hláskovat, tvořitCzech
- Zauberspruch, Periode, Zauber, Zeitdauer, buchstabieren, Zauberformel, Weile, Zauberwort, Weilchen, bedeuten, klarmachen, abwechselnGerman
- ξόρκι, περίοδος, [[γράφω]] [[ορθογραφημένα]], συνεπάγομαιGreek
- literumi, sorĉoEsperanto
- hechizo, período, brujería, pataleta, encantamiento, deletrear, descifrar, encanto, rato, conjuro, berrinche, anunciar, presagiarSpanish
- loits, veerimaEstonian
- lumous, purkaus, kirous, tietää, loitsu, jakso, tavata, muodostaa, merkitä, selventää, korvata, tuurata, sijainenFinnish
- maléfice, épeler, charme, sortFrench
- litrigh, tamallIrish
- ùine, litrichScottish Gaelic
- helyesírás, betűzHungarian
- հեգել, բառ կազմելArmenian
- indicar, formula magic, incantamento, orthographiar, componer, intervallo, relevarInterlingua
- galdraþula, stafa, álögIcelandic
- fattura, maledizione, sillabare, sortilegio, incantesimo, formula magica, maleficio, compitare, presagire, vaticinareItalian
- ასოების დასახელება, დამარცვლით კითხვა, სიტყვების შედგენაGeorgian
- 의미하다, 마력, 한동안, 철자, 주문, 한참Korean
- cantio, incantatio, incantamentum, fascinum, veneficium, conscribo, fascinatio, effascinatio, cantamenLatin
- spellen, betekenen, toverspreuk, betoveringDutch
- besvergelse, formel, stave, trylleformelNorwegian
- czar, zaklęcie, urok, przeliterowaćPolish
- encantamento, intervalo, feitiço, soletrar, vaticinar, encanto, prever, pressagiar, renderPortuguese
- farmec, descântec, se scrie, indica, vrajă, interval, descântătură, litera, rosti, clarifica, înlocuiRomanian
- буква, писать, заклинание, произноситьRussian
- urok, črkovatiSlovene
- trollformel, besvärjelse, stava, betydaSwedish
- büyü, tılsım, hecelemek, harflerini söylemekTurkish
- заклина́ння, ча́ри, закля́ттяUkrainian
- đánh vầnVietnamese
Get even more translations for spell »
Find a translation for the spell synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)