enchantment, spell, trance(noun)
a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
go, spell, tour, turn(noun)
a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else)
"it's my go"; "a spell of work"
hitch, cristal, enlistment, act, hug drug, disco biscuit, piece, twist, turning, whirl, duty tour, trance, bend, routine, bit, turn of events, tour of duty, crook, term of enlistment, round, offer, circuit, tour, play, go, number, crack, pass, enchantment, charm, good turn, while, fling, ecstasy, go game, magical spell, bout, magic spell, turn, patch
while, piece, spell, patch(noun)
a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition
"he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
darn, small-arm, turn, maculation, spot, piece, eyepatch, bandage, objet d'art, slice, bit, firearm, trance, composition, dapple, part, plot of land, patch, temporary hookup, tour, fleck, go, piece of music, man, enchantment, speckle, charm, while, art object, magical spell, magic spell, plot, opus, plot of ground, mend, musical composition
spell, magic spell, magical spell, charm(verb)
a verbal formula believed to have magical force
"he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"
spell, spell out(verb)
orally recite the letters of or give the spelling of
"How do you spell this word?" "We had to spell out our names for the police officer"
indicate or signify
"I'm afraid this spells trouble!"
write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word)
"He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
relieve (someone) from work by taking a turn
"She spelled her husband at the wheel"
place under a spell
take turns working
"the workers spell every four hours"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use spell in a sentence?
I'll spell out where we're at, that we're piling too much dough into a welfare system that's focused on corrective treatment.
All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and frustration is this Act as if it were impossible to fail. That is the talisman, the formula, the command of right-about-face which turns us from failure towards success.
I suspect this hot spell has made the course very fast and, if the wind whips up, it could live up to its 'Car-nasty' reputation and Tiger will understand how to handle whatever it might throw at him, he realises it's not about overpowering a links course, it's about staying in play and being patient. At least 50 percent of the field won't know anything like as much as he does about plotting their way round.
There are not that many medical conditions that produce transient, recurrent, and highly-stereotyped neurological symptoms and epileptic seizures top that list of diagnoses to consider, this case, however, produced a particular challenge because [ the ] patient initially only described the cyclical pattern of sweating, not neurological symptoms. It wasn't until a spell was directly observed that alterations of behavior, seen as slowed verbal responses, was recognized to accompany the episodes of intense sweating.
He's learning how to spell, but he's flying around on 'Hair Force One' and tweeting. So here's the one tweet he put out. He put out a picture of having makeup put on me at the debate. Which is amazing to me that the guy with the worst spray tan in America is attacking me for putting on makeup. Donald Trump likes to sue people. He should sue whoever did that to his face with that.
Translations for spell
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تهجئ, تعويذةArabic
- conjur, embruixament, encantament, encís, lletrejarCatalan, Valencian
- kouzlo, hláskovat, tvořitCzech
- Zauberspruch, Periode, Zauber, Zeitdauer, buchstabieren, Zauberformel, Weile, Zauberwort, Weilchen, bedeuten, klarmachen, abwechselnGerman
- ξόρκι, περίοδος, [[γράφω]] [[ορθογραφημένα]], συνεπάγομαιGreek
- literumi, sorĉoEsperanto
- hechizo, período, brujería, pataleta, encantamiento, deletrear, descifrar, encanto, rato, conjuro, berrinche, anunciar, presagiarSpanish
- loits, veerimaEstonian
- lumous, purkaus, kirous, tietää, loitsu, jakso, tavata, muodostaa, merkitä, selventää, korvata, tuurata, sijainenFinnish
- maléfice, épeler, charme, sortFrench
- litrigh, tamallIrish
- ùine, litrichScottish Gaelic
- helyesírás, betűzHungarian
- հեգել, բառ կազմելArmenian
- indicar, formula magic, incantamento, orthographiar, componer, intervallo, relevarInterlingua
- galdraþula, stafa, álögIcelandic
- fattura, maledizione, sillabare, sortilegio, incantesimo, formula magica, maleficio, compitare, presagire, vaticinareItalian
- ასოების დასახელება, დამარცვლით კითხვა, სიტყვების შედგენაGeorgian
- 의미하다, 마력, 한동안, 철자, 주문, 한참Korean
- cantio, incantatio, incantamentum, fascinum, veneficium, conscribo, fascinatio, effascinatio, cantamenLatin
- spellen, betekenen, toverspreuk, betoveringDutch
- besvergelse, formel, stave, trylleformelNorwegian
- czar, zaklęcie, urok, przeliterowaćPolish
- encantamento, intervalo, feitiço, soletrar, vaticinar, encanto, prever, pressagiar, renderPortuguese
- farmec, descântec, se scrie, indica, vrajă, interval, descântătură, litera, rosti, clarifica, înlocuiRomanian
- буква, писать, заклинание, произноситьRussian
- urok, črkovatiSlovene
- trollformel, besvärjelse, stava, betydaSwedish
- büyü, tılsım, hecelemek, harflerini söylemekTurkish
- заклина́ння, ча́ри, закля́ттяUkrainian
- đánh vầnVietnamese
Get even more translations for spell »
Find a translation for the spell synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)