pang, stab, twinge(noun)
a sudden sharp feeling
"pangs of regret"; "she felt a stab of excitement"; "twinges of conscience"
stab, thrust, knife thrust(noun)
a strong blow with a knife or other sharp pointed instrument
"one strong stab to the heart killed him"
informal words for any attempt or effort
"he gave it his best shot"; "he took a stab at forecasting"
injection, scene, guess, dig, stroke, barb, pellet, gibe, guesswork, slam, crack, thrust, twinge, knife thrust, shooter, shooting, dead reckoning, guessing, blastoff, snap, pang, snapshot, shaft, shot, jibe
use a knife on
"The victim was knifed to death"
stab or pierce
"he jabbed the piece of meat with his pocket knife"
jab, prod, stab, poke, dig(verb)
poke or thrust abruptly
"he jabbed his finger into her ribs"
compass, nose, incite, toil, pry, grind, dig, drudge, moil, dig up, jab, poke, horn in, delve, nudge, grasp, prod, egg on, thump, cut into, knife, travail, labour, get the picture, hollow, apprehend, pound, comprehend, turn over, excavate, savvy, labor, grok, intrude, poke at, dig out
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use stab in a sentence?
This morning, a Hartford Police Officer sustained severe stab wounds while in the line of duty, she is in critical condition and we will update the public later today. We ask the entire Hartford community to keep the officer in their thoughts and prayers.
A lot of weird things are happening. This is a strange election, isn't it? Man! you stab somebody and the newspapers say you didn't do it. And you say, 'Yes, I did. I did it.' 'No, you didn't.' 'Yes, I did! I stabbed him and it hit the belt'!
True friends stab you in the front.
As a teenager, I would go after people with rocks, and bricks, and baseball bats, and hammers, and, of course, many people know the story when I was 14 and I tried to stab someone.
I'm going to have to stab you people.
Translations for stab
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- acoltellar, punyalada, apunyalarCatalan, Valencian
- gwanu, trywanuWelsh
- Stichwunde, erstechen, stechen, niederstechen, StichGerman
- puñalada, apuñalar, acuchillarSpanish
- خنجر زدنPersian
- pisto, pistäminen, pistää, puukottaa, pistohaavaFinnish
- percée, poignarder, frapper d'un coup de couteauFrench
- sá, rop, sáighIrish
- puñalada, anavallar, apuñalar, acoitelarGalician
- nyilallik, szúr, bök, döfHungarian
- accoltellare, coltellata, sfregiare, pugnalare, pugnalataItalian
- perforo, traicio, perfodio, confodio, fodio, pungo, perfigo, transfodioLatin
- durti, badytiLithuanian
- aanval, steken, poging, steek, steekwond, kritiekDutch
- stikke, stikkNorwegian
- esfaquear, apunhalarPortuguese
- stilettar, cuntellarRomansh
- a da o lovitură de cuțit, înjunghia, străpungeRomanian
- укол, прокалывать, попытка, критика, колотая рана, удар, ранить, закалывать, удар ноRussian
- бости, bostiSerbo-Croatian
- hugg, sticka, stickSwedish
- bıçaklamak, şişlemekTurkish
- спроба, критикаUkrainian
- cú đâmVietnamese
Get even more translations for stab »
Find a translation for the stab synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)