bargain, buy, steal(noun)
an advantageous purchase
"she got a bargain at the auction"; "the stock was a real buy at that price"
a stolen base; an instance in which a base runner advances safely during the delivery of a pitch (without the help of a hit or walk or passed ball or wild pitch)
take without the owner's consent
"Someone stole my wallet on the train"; "This author stole entire paragraphs from my dissertation"
"The ship slipped away in the darkness"
steal a base
To illegally, or without the owner's permission, take possession of something by surreptitiously taking or carrying it away.
To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully.
At this price, this car is a steal.
To copy copyright-protected work without permission.
To acquire at a low price.
He stole the car for two thousand less than its book value.
To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer. Usually used in the phrase steal the show.
To move silently or secretly.
He stole across the room, trying not to wake her.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
The central idea of withdrawing makes abstract in common speech a euphemism for appropriate (unlawfully), purloin, steal. In mental processes we discriminate between objects by distinguishing their differences; we separate some one element from all that does not necessarily belong to it, abstract it, and view it alone. We may separate two ideas, and hold both in mind in comparison or contrast; but when we abstract one of them, we drop the other out of thought. The mind is abstracted when it is withdrawn from all other subjects and concentrated upon one, diverted when it is drawn away from what it would or should attend to by some other interest, distracted when the attention is divided among different subjects, so that it can not be given properly to any. The trouble with the distracted person is that he is not abstracted. Compare DISCERN.
The purse may be abstracted from the pocket; the substance from the accidents; a book into a compend.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for steal
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سرق, استرقArabic
- красці, скрасціBelarusian
- চুরি করাBengali
- robar, robatoriCatalan, Valencian
- ukrást, krástCzech
- Schnäppchen, entwenden, stehlen, rauben, Diebstahl, Raub, klauenGerman
- robar, roboSpanish
- varastaminen, varkaus, varkain, vaivihkaa, varastaa, hiipiä, löytö, ryövätä, viedä, kärkkyäFinnish
- goidScottish Gaelic
- גנב, מציאה, גניבה, התגנבHebrew
- furto, rubare, derubare, attirare, focalizzare, accattivarsi, appropriarsi, aggirarsi, ruberia, fregare, distogliere, distrarre, affaroneItalian
- 掘り出し物, 盗み, 忍び足をする, 盗塁, 盗むJapanese
- уурдоо, уурдап алууKyrgyz
- ຍາດ, ລັກ, ສົກLao
- прикрадува, крадеMacedonian
- ဗုန်း, ခိုးBurmese
- roof, stelen, koopje, diefstal, jatten, ontvreemdenDutch
- stjele, liste seg, kupp, steleNorwegian
- skradać, kraść, ukraśćPolish
- roubo, furto, surrupiar, furtar, surripiar, roubarPortuguese
- furt, furat, fura, eclipsa, chilipir, furătură, însuși, strecura, furișaRomanian
- украсть, воровать, кража, красть, свороватьRussian
- krasti, крастиSerbo-Croatian
- හොරකම් කරනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- ukradnúť, kradnúťSlovak
- stöld, stjäla, sno, smyga, knyckaSwedish
- దొంగిలించు, దొంగతనం, కొట్టివేయు, కొట్టేయుTelugu
- дуздидан, дуздӣ карданTajik
- красти, украстиUkrainian
- ăn cắp, ăn trộmVietnamese
- haper, scroter, volerWalloon
Get even more translations for steal »
Find a translation for the steal synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)