the branch of medical science that treats disease or injury by operative procedures
"he is professor of surgery at the Harvard Medical School"
a room where a doctor or dentist can be consulted
"he read the warning in the doctor's surgery"
operating room, OR, operating theater, operating theatre, surgery(noun)
a room in a hospital equipped for the performance of surgical operations
"great care is taken to keep the operating rooms aseptic"
operation, surgery, surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process(noun)
a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body
"they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available"; "he died while undergoing surgery"
mathematical operation, process, procedure, operating room, surgical operation, operating theatre, cognitive operation, performance, functioning, operating theater, operation, military operation, cognitive process, surgical procedure, mental process, mathematical process, surgical process
A procedure involving major incisions to remove, repair, or replace a part of a body.
Many times surgery is necessary to prevent cancer from spreading.
A room or department where surgery is performed.
I would discuss hospital policy to you more, but I’m wanted in surgery.
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use surgery in a sentence?
I woke up one morning about two years after surgery, I had a Facebook message from Adriana’s mom, ‘You don’t know me but if this is you, I just want to share that this is the little girl you saved two years ago.' I pushed my wife and said, 'Look at this!' I always wanted to meet them.
The situation of people suffering an acute cardiac event is different from that of people undergoing surgery : surgery is usually planned so the patient can prepare for it, whereas cardiac events often come out of the blue, but in both cases, a positive orientation is an asset.
If you look at the mechanics in terms of the strength of that new ligament that you put in, it’s pretty good, the problem is the muscle weakness that occurs after that surgery. By the time athletes are able to return to the field or court, the side that had the ACL tear is about 40 percent weaker.
I was so scared to let Ollie undergo such major surgery. He was so fragile, and I couldn’t bear the thought of losing him, but doctors explained that he was at risk of contracting an infection or even meningitis if he tripped and knocked his nose— so I agreed to the surgery.
Celebrities have access to that kind of surgery, but that's not the life everyone lives.
Translations for surgery
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- جِرَاحَة, عَمَلِيَّة جِرَاحِيَّةArabic
- cirurgia, quiròfan, operacióCatalan, Valencian
- chirurgický, lékařský, zákrok, operace, chirurgieCzech
- Chirurgie, Operation, PraxisGerman
- χειρουργική, χειρουργείο, ιατρείοGreek
- kirurgio, operacioEsperanto
- cirugía, operaciónSpanish
- vastaanotto, leikkaussali, vastaanottohuone, kirurgia, leikkausFinnish
- opération, chirurgie, salle opératoireFrench
- cur faoi scian, máinliacht, gnáthamh máinliachta, lialann, obráidIrish
- cirurxía, operaciónGalician
- műtét, rendelő, sebészet, operáció, műtőHungarian
- ambulatorio, operazione chirurgica, sala operatoria, intervento chirurgico, chirurgiaItalian
- 外科, 手術, 手術室Japanese
- 수술실, 수술, 외과Korean
- operatiekamer, chirurgie, heelkunde, spreekkamer, operatieDutch
- operasjon, kirurgiNorwegian
- chirurgia, gabinet lekarski, operacjaPolish
- cirurgia, consultório, sala de operação, operação, sala de cirurgiaPortuguese
- chirurgie, interventie chirurgicalaRomanian
- опера́ция, хирурги́я, [[кабине́т]] [[врач, [[хирургический, операцио́ннаяRussian
- kirurgi, operationssal, operationSwedish
- ameliyat, ameliyathaneTurkish
Get even more translations for surgery »
Find a translation for the surgery synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)