Synonyms for tap
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term tap.
pat, rap, tapnoun
the sound made by a gentle blow
rap, strike, tapnoun
a gentle blow
water faucet, water tap, tap, hydrantnoun
a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask
a small metal plate that attaches to the toe or heel of a shoe (as in tap dancing)
a tool for cutting female (internal) screw threads
a plug for a bunghole in a cask
the act of tapping a telephone or telegraph line to get information
tap, pat, dabverb
a light touch or stroke
cut a female screw thread with a tap
draw from or dip into to get something
"tap one's memory"; "tap a source of money"
"He tapped me on the shoulder"
draw from; make good use of
"we must exploit the resources we are given wisely"
wiretap, tap, intercept, bugverb
tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information
"The FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"; "Is this hotel room bugged?"
furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid from it
"tap a cask of wine"
tap, rap, knock, pinkverb
make light, repeated taps on a surface
"he was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"
walk with a tapping sound
dance and make rhythmic clicking sounds by means of metal plates nailed to the sole of the dance shoes
"Glover tapdances better than anybody"
draw (liquor) from a tap
"tap beer in a bar"
pierce in order to draw a liquid from
"tap a maple tree for its syrup"; "tap a keg of beer"
solicit, beg, tapverb
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
He comes up with some howlers and that proves his humanity, but we need to talk to the pope about this issue because there are millions of children around the world who are physically beaten on a daily basis, it might start off as a light tap, but actually the whole idea of hitting children is about inflicting pain.
If the privatisation does not succeed, today we know what the alternative is: a restructuring which can only be based on big lay-offs, route reductions, reduction of equipment and thereby a reduction of the operation and significance of the company, that is, transforming TAP into a mini TAP, which is not in the interests of workers, the economy nor the Portuguese.
I hope it's a wake-up call also to people that have not just been affected by this one, but also people elsewhere -- because it's been heatwaves elsewhere, where I could tell a similar story, we are just facing more extreme events of many kinds, and the only thing we can do is, on the one hand, closing the tap off the increase in greenhouse gases to avoid the risk of getting further out of hand, and on the other hand, preparing for that more extreme climate.
A book is like a man -- clever and dull, brave and cowardly, beautiful and ugly. For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun.
Always pack a towel and don't drink tap water, anywhere.
Translations for tap
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يَتَنَصَّت, حنفية, صنبورArabic
- tap, aixetaCatalan, Valencian
- kohoutek, závitník, kohoutCzech
- Armatur, Zapfen, Kran, abzapfen, Spund, Gewindeschneider, abhören, anzapfen, Wasserhahn, Mischbatterie, Hahn, ZapfhahnGerman
- canilla, llave, grifo, machuelo, tapón, intervenir, dar golpecitosSpanish
- hyväkseen, taputtaa, haaroitus, tappi, kierteitystappi, valuttaa, kopauttaa, salakuunnella, puikottaa, hana, naputtaa, käyttää, naputella, verottaa, laskea, napauttaa, napautus, vesihana, kosketusFinnish
- robinet, bouchon, taper, dérivation, taraud, tarauder, tirerFrench
- csap, vízcsapHungarian
- hani, kraniIcelandic
- henef, zembere, henîfe, henefî, mislikKurdish
- наточува, чука, точи, тапка, допира, чешма, славина, тропкаMacedonian
- tappen, tikken, meeluisteren, kraan, afluisteren, aftappen, draadtappenDutch
- avlyttingNorwegian Nynorsk
- tappe, kran, tappekran, avlytteNorwegian
- kurek, spuszczać płyn, napoczynać, stuknąć, gwintować, gwintownik, zawór, kran, zawór główny, wykorzystywać, klepnąć, podsłuchiwać, założyć podsłuchPolish
- bica, torneira, torno, espichoPortuguese
- кран, отпайка, ответвление, затычка, отвод, пробка, метчикRussian
- slavina, славинаSerbo-Croatian
- kohútik, stočiť, stiahnuť, odposluch, odpočúvanieSlovak
- tapp, kran, avledning, gängtappSwedish
- gizlice dinlemek, musluk, musluk takmakTurkish
Get even more translations for tap »
Find a translation for the tap synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"tap." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 5 Oct. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/tap>.