pat, rap, tap(noun)
the sound made by a gentle blow
rap, strike, tap(noun)
a gentle blow
water faucet, water tap, tap, hydrant(noun)
a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask
a small metal plate that attaches to the toe or heel of a shoe (as in tap dancing)
a tool for cutting female (internal) screw threads
a plug for a bunghole in a cask
the act of tapping a telephone or telegraph line to get information
tap, pat, dab(verb)
a light touch or stroke
cut a female screw thread with a tap
draw from or dip into to get something
"tap one's memory"; "tap a source of money"
"He tapped me on the shoulder"
draw from; make good use of
"we must exploit the resources we are given wisely"
wiretap, tap, intercept, bug(verb)
tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information
"The FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"; "Is this hotel room bugged?"
furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid from it
"tap a cask of wine"
tap, rap, knock, pink(verb)
make light, repeated taps on a surface
"he was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"
walk with a tapping sound
dance and make rhythmic clicking sounds by means of metal plates nailed to the sole of the dance shoes
"Glover tapdances better than anybody"
draw (liquor) from a tap
"tap beer in a bar"
pierce in order to draw a liquid from
"tap a maple tree for its syrup"; "tap a keg of beer"
solicit, beg, tap(verb)
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use tap in a sentence?
You cannot go back in time and make a good start, but you can always start from where you are right now and make a fantastic finish. Life changes in the blink of an eye. Yet for an optimist, life also offers millions of opportunities at any juncture, anywhere, any time. Always be prepared to dance with Opportunity when she taps on your shoulder - because then only you'll be able to tap the power of "Now"!
Because of the huge stockpiles of corn and feed wheat, the Chinese government is trying to minimize the amount of imports of feed grain such as barley and sorghum, and so domestic users will tap the corn stockpiles.
There are many areas around the world that really don't have a good resource for renewable power but do have offshore wind resources, our lightweight kites create the possibility that we could tap that resource very economically and bring renewable power to hundreds of millions of people.
Albertoclaims to be able to fill two 8,000-gallontanker trucks with fuel in just half an hour using a single tap. In Mexico City Friday, taxi driver Delgado Espiritu Jose Mauricio had been waiting in line for an hour following a two-hour wait at a different station the previous day. Its stressful. This is my livelihood and I dont have another means of providing for myself so you can imagine the effect.
There's a tremendously deep pool of people, there's many, many more people to tap.
Translations for tap
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يَتَنَصَّت, حنفية, صنبورArabic
- tap, aixetaCatalan, Valencian
- kohoutek, závitník, kohoutCzech
- Armatur, Zapfen, Kran, abzapfen, Spund, Gewindeschneider, abhören, anzapfen, Wasserhahn, Mischbatterie, Hahn, ZapfhahnGerman
- canilla, llave, grifo, machuelo, tapón, intervenir, dar golpecitosSpanish
- hyväkseen, taputtaa, haaroitus, tappi, kierteitystappi, valuttaa, kopauttaa, salakuunnella, puikottaa, hana, naputtaa, käyttää, naputella, verottaa, laskea, napauttaa, napautus, vesihana, kosketusFinnish
- robinet, bouchon, taper, dérivation, taraud, tarauder, tirerFrench
- csap, vízcsapHungarian
- hani, kraniIcelandic
- henef, zembere, henîfe, henefî, mislikKurdish
- наточува, чука, точи, тапка, допира, чешма, славина, тропкаMacedonian
- tappen, tikken, meeluisteren, kraan, afluisteren, aftappen, draadtappenDutch
- avlyttingNorwegian Nynorsk
- tappe, kran, tappekran, avlytteNorwegian
- kurek, spuszczać płyn, napoczynać, stuknąć, gwintować, gwintownik, zawór, kran, zawór główny, wykorzystywać, klepnąć, podsłuchiwać, założyć podsłuchPolish
- bica, torneira, torno, espichoPortuguese
- кран, отпайка, ответвление, затычка, отвод, пробка, метчикRussian
- slavina, славинаSerbo-Croatian
- kohútik, stočiť, stiahnuť, odposluch, odpočúvanieSlovak
- tapp, kran, avledning, gängtappSwedish
- gizlice dinlemek, musluk, musluk takmakTurkish
Get even more translations for tap »
Find a translation for the tap synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)