Synonyms for tap
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word tap.
Princeton's WordNet2.3 / 3 votes
pat, rap, tapnoun
the sound made by a gentle blow
rap, strike, tapnoun
a gentle blow
water faucet, water tap, tap, hydrantnoun
a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask
a small metal plate that attaches to the toe or heel of a shoe (as in tap dancing)
a tool for cutting female (internal) screw threads
a plug for a bunghole in a cask
the act of tapping a telephone or telegraph line to get information
tap, pat, dabverb
a light touch or stroke
cut a female screw thread with a tap
draw from or dip into to get something
"tap one's memory"; "tap a source of money"
"He tapped me on the shoulder"
draw from; make good use of
"we must exploit the resources we are given wisely"
wiretap, tap, intercept, bugverb
tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information
"The FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"; "Is this hotel room bugged?"
furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid from it
"tap a cask of wine"
tap, rap, knock, pinkverb
make light, repeated taps on a surface
"he was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"
walk with a tapping sound
dance and make rhythmic clicking sounds by means of metal plates nailed to the sole of the dance shoes
"Glover tapdances better than anybody"
draw (liquor) from a tap
"tap beer in a bar"
pierce in order to draw a liquid from
"tap a maple tree for its syrup"; "tap a keg of beer"
solicit, beg, tapverb
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
Dictionary of English Synonymes0.0 / 0 votes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words4.0 / 1 vote
What does TAP stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the TAP acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
Words popularity by usage frequency
Marty This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too'
I looked at it a long time, then, just as I picked it up, just to hold it, and look at it for a moment, our little dog, Popeye, came running up the stairs. The tap-tap of his paws jolted me back to reality. I suddenly froze and I put the gun down.
Then, just as I picked it up, just to hold it, and look at it for a moment, our little dog, Popeye, came running up the stairs. The tap-tap of his paws jolted me back to reality. I suddenly froze and I put the gun down. i kinda believe Popeye was a spiritual messenger from God.
A book is like a man -- clever and dull, brave and cowardly, beautiful and ugly. For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun.
If the privatisation does not succeed, today we know what the alternative is: a restructuring which can only be based on big lay-offs, route reductions, reduction of equipment and thereby a reduction of the operation and significance of the company, that is, transforming TAP into a mini TAP, which is not in the interests of workers, the economy nor the Portuguese.
Translations for tap
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يَتَنَصَّت, حنفية, صنبورArabic
- tap, aixetaCatalan, Valencian
- kohoutek, závitník, kohoutCzech
- Armatur, Zapfen, Kran, abzapfen, Spund, Gewindeschneider, abhören, anzapfen, Wasserhahn, Mischbatterie, Hahn, ZapfhahnGerman
- canilla, llave, grifo, machuelo, tapón, intervenir, dar golpecitosSpanish
- hyväkseen, taputtaa, haaroitus, tappi, kierteitystappi, valuttaa, kopauttaa, salakuunnella, puikottaa, hana, naputtaa, käyttää, naputella, verottaa, laskea, napauttaa, napautus, vesihana, kosketusFinnish
- robinet, bouchon, taper, dérivation, taraud, tarauder, tirerFrench
- csap, vízcsapHungarian
- hani, kraniIcelandic
- henef, zembere, henîfe, henefî, mislikKurdish
- наточува, чука, точи, тапка, допира, чешма, славина, тропкаMacedonian
- tappen, tikken, meeluisteren, kraan, afluisteren, aftappen, draadtappenDutch
- avlyttingNorwegian Nynorsk
- tappe, kran, tappekran, avlytteNorwegian
- kurek, spuszczać płyn, napoczynać, stuknąć, gwintować, gwintownik, zawór, kran, zawór główny, wykorzystywać, klepnąć, podsłuchiwać, założyć podsłuchPolish
- bica, torneira, torno, espichoPortuguese
- кран, отпайка, ответвление, затычка, отвод, пробка, метчикRussian
- slavina, славинаSerbo-Croatian
- kohútik, stočiť, stiahnuť, odposluch, odpočúvanieSlovak
- tapp, kran, avledning, gängtappSwedish
- gizlice dinlemek, musluk, musluk takmakTurkish
Get even more translations for tap »
Find a translation for the tap synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"tap." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 5 Dec. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/tap>.