something (as property) held by one party (the trustee) for the benefit of another (the beneficiary)
"he is the beneficiary of a generous trust set up by his father"
certainty based on past experience
"he wrote the paper with considerable reliance on the work of other scientists"; "he put more trust in his own two legs than in the gun"
trust, trustingness, trustfulness(noun)
the trait of believing in the honesty and reliability of others
"the experience destroyed his trust and personal dignity"
trust, corporate trust, combine, cartel(noun)
a consortium of independent organizations formed to limit competition by controlling the production and distribution of a product or service
"they set up the trust in the hope of gaining a monopoly"
complete confidence in a person or plan etc
"he cherished the faith of a good woman"; "the doctor-patient relationship is based on trust"
a trustful relationship
"he took me into his confidence"; "he betrayed their trust"
trust, swear, rely, bank(verb)
have confidence or faith in
"We can trust in God"; "Rely on your friends"; "bank on your good education"; "I swear by my grandmother's recipes"
allow without fear
be confident about something
"I believe that he will come back from the war"
hope, trust, desire(verb)
expect and wish
"I trust you will behave better from now on"; "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise"
entrust, intrust, trust, confide, commit(verb)
confer a trust upon
"The messenger was entrusted with the general's secret"; "I commit my soul to God"
institutionalize, put, charge, dedicate, intrust, devote, practice, invest, confide, pull, institutionalise, consecrate, give, hope, desire, swear, entrust, perpetrate, commit, leave, bank, rely, place, send, believe
extend credit to
"don't trust my ex-wife; I won't pay her debts anymore"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Assurance may have the good sense of a high, sustained confidence and trust; as, the saint's assurance of heaven. Confidence is founded upon reasons; assurance is largely a matter of feeling. In the bad sense, assurance is a vicious courage, with belief of one's ability to outwit or defy others; the hardened criminal is remarkable for habitual assurance. For the calm conviction of one's own rectitude and ability, self-confidence is a better word than assurance; self-reliance expresses confidence in one's own resources, independently of others' aid. In the bad sense assurance is less gross than impudence, which is (according to its etymology) a shameless boldness. Assurance is in act or manner; impudence may be in speech. Effrontery is impudence defiantly displayed. Compare FAITH; PRIDE.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
How to say trust in sign language?
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for trust
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- confiançaCatalan, Valencian
- důvěra, důvěřovatCzech
- tillid, tiltroDanish
- vertrauen, anschreiben, HoffnungGerman
- εμπιστοσύνη, καταπίστευμα, σύμπραξη, εμπιστεύομαι, πιστεύω, πίστη, πίστωσηGreek
- confianza, consorcio, confiar, creer, crédito, fiar, esperarSpanish
- yhdistys, uskoa, luottaa, luottamus, usko, luotto, järjestö, uskoutuaFinnish
- confiance, faire confianceFrench
- creideas, earbsaScottish Gaelic
- विश्वास, भरोसाHindi
- վստահություն, վստահելArmenian
- fidare, fiducia, avere fiduciaItalian
- fido, confidoLatin
- VertrauenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- pålitelig, tillit, forhåpning, ha tillit til, tro på, ha tillit, kredittverdighet, til å stole på, stole på, være tryggNorwegian
- zaufanie, ufaćPolish
- confiabilidade, confiar, confiança, esperança, crédito, consórcio, Confiar emPortuguese
- veridicitate, trust, speranță, sperare, credit, încredereRomanian
- доверие, вера, трест, доверятьRussian
- поверење, povjerenje, повјерењеSerbo-Croatian
- lita, förtröstan, trust, tilltro, lita på, tillit, räkna, förtrösta, förtroende, anförtro, fSwedish
- విశ్వాసం, నమ్మకంTelugu
- güvenç, itimat, güven, güvenmekTurkish
Get even more translations for trust »
Find a translation for the trust synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)