a secret group organized to overthrow a government or occupation force
metro, tube, underground, subway system, subway(adj)
an electric railway operating below the surface of the ground (usually in a city)
"in Paris the subway system is called the `metro' and in London it is called the `tube' or the `underground'"
under the level of the ground
"belowground storage areas"; "underground caverns"
clandestine, cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner(a), hugger-mugger, hush-hush, secret, surreptitious, undercover, underground(adverb)
conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods
"clandestine intelligence operations"; "cloak-and-dagger activities behind enemy lines"; "hole-and-corner intrigue"; "secret missions"; "a secret agent"; "secret sales of arms"; "surreptitious mobilization of troops"; "an undercover investigation"; "underground resistance"
in or into hiding or secret operation
"the organization was driven underground"
beneath the surface of the earth
"water flowing underground"
Below the ground.
The tunnel goes underground at this point.
A movement or organisation of people who resist political convention.
These criminals operate through an underground network.
A movement or organisation of people who resist artistic convention.
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use underground in a sentence?
I remember buying those records and the label (vinyl sticker), (DJs) would use old records and print on top of it, melt it, and print on the top...very low quality, this was super, super underground.
It threatens the undocumented Africans, officially, African foreigners (in Guangzhou) decrease every year but we all know that undocumented Africans still live in this circle doing business underground or through brokers. But because of the pandemic they will become exposed.
There's still a fair bit of magma right underground that's available to erupt.
Strigamia live underground and have no eyes, so it's not surprising that many of the genes for light receptors are missing, but they behave as if they are hiding from the light. They must have some alternative way of detecting when they are exposed.
A woman is usually five feet above the ground and ten feet underground, so her true intention behind an action is not often correctly decoded or found by men.
Translations for underground
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- subterraniCatalan, Valencian
- Untergrundorganisation, Untergrund, unterirdisch, geheim, heimlichGerman
- υπόγεια, υπόγειος, λαθραίος, μυστικόςGreek
- movimiento clandestino, subterráneo, organización clandestinaSpanish
- vastarintaliike, maanalainen, undergroundFinnish
- mouvement d'avant-garde, clandestin, mouvement clandestin, résistance, organisation clandestine, souterrain, undergroundFrench
- baixo terraGalician
- bawah tanahIndonesian
- resistenza, sotterraneo, movimento clandestino, organizzazione clandestina, clandestino, underground, sottoterraItalian
- 秘密, 不法, アングラ, 地下Japanese
- андерграунд, потаен, подземје, подземенMacedonian
- łeeyiʼNavajo, Navaho
- ruch oporu, podziemny, podziemiePolish
- clandestino, resistência, subterrâneo, secreto, submundoPortuguese
- mișcare clandestină, subteran, organizație clandestinăRomanian
- подпольный, подполье, подземный, андеграунд, андерграундRussian
- prikriveno, potajno, podzemno, podzemanSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for underground »
Find a translation for the underground synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)