know and comprehend the nature or meaning of
"She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
understand, realize, realise, see(verb)
perceive (an idea or situation) mentally
"Now I see!"; "I just can't see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don't understand the idea"
earn, experience, take in, figure, date, go out, pull in, look, recognise, reckon, examine, go through, read, image, see to it, find, substantiate, go steady, actualize, construe, agnise, meet, view, get word, actualise, check, make, agnize, run across, see, find out, ascertain, fancy, picture, gain, translate, visualize, regard, empathize, realise, control, encounter, sympathise, assure, envision, watch, sympathize, run into, clear, infer, come across, determine, get a line, recognize, take care, escort, witness, get wind, ensure, attend, pick up, interpret, bring in, catch, visualise, consider, empathise, learn, realize, project, visit, discover, insure, hear
understand, read, interpret, translate(verb)
make sense of a language
"She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
construe, infer, scan, say, represent, sympathise, transform, show, empathize, rede, register, learn, interpret, sympathize, translate, study, record, empathise, take, realise, read, realize, render, see
believe to be the case
"I understand you have no previous experience?"
sympathize, sympathise, empathize, empathise, understand(verb)
be understanding of
"You don't need to explain--I understand!"
To be aware of the meaning of.
To believe, based on information.
I understand that you have information for me.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
We perceive what is presented through the senses. We apprehend what is presented to the mind, whether through the senses or by any other means. Yet perceive is used in the figurative sense of seeing through to a conclusion, in a way for which usage would not allow us to substitute apprehend; as, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet," John iv, 19. That which we apprehend we catch, as with the hand; that which we conceive we are able to analyze and recompose in our mind; that which we comprehend, we, as it were, grasp around, take together, seize, embrace wholly within the mind. Many things may be apprehended which can not be comprehended; a child can apprehend the distinction between right and wrong, yet the philosopher can not comprehend it in its fulness. We can apprehend the will of God as revealed in conscience or the Scriptures; we can conceive of certain attributes of Deity, as his truth and justice; but no finite intelligence can comprehend the Divine Nature, in its majesty, power, and perfection. Compare ANTICIPATE; ARREST; CATCH; KNOWLEDGE.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use understand in a sentence?
We are very eager to understand RAAF's needs and talk to them about why we see the benefits of T-X.
While I understand the frustration with the badly flawed Russia-collusion investigation, in my view, commuting Roger Stone sentence is a mistake, roger Stone was duly convicted of lying to Congress, witness tampering, and obstructing a congressional investigation conducted by a Republican-led committee.
These companies reached out to us in exploring three key types of commercial operations, what we’re trying to understand is what can we accommodate, what can we accommodate safely, and then what do we learn from that.
At one time we thought naps were bad for sleep and bad for us, i think we're starting to understand [napping is] a much more complex phenomenon.
It's critical that people understand what is being done by police officers, because what is being done is being done in the name of the public.
Translations for understand
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разумець, зразумецьBelarusian
- comprendre, entendreCatalan, Valencian
- chápat, pochopit, rozumět, porozumětCzech
- begribe, forstå, fatte, underforstå, opfatte, mene, indseDanish
- den Eindruck haben, verstehen, glauben, begreifenGerman
- κατανοώ, αντιλαμβάνομαι, καταλαβαίνωGreek
- entender, comprenderSpanish
- mõistma, aru saamaEstonian
- osata, hiffata, ymmärtää, uskoa, kässätä, käsittää, snaijata, älytä, tajuta, bonjataFinnish
- entendre, comprendreFrench
- ferstean, begripeWestern Frisian
- tud, felfog, megért, értesül, értHungarian
- skilja, skiljastIcelandic
- capire, comprendere, intendereItalian
- 理解する, 信じる, 分かる, 理解Japanese
- түсіну, ұғуKazakh
- 이해하다, 알다Korean
- تێگهیشت, سهر لێ دهرچونKurdish
- аңдоо, түшүнүүKyrgyz
- intellegō, interpretor, video, comprehendō, capio, conspicio, percipio, teneo, scio, crēdō, exaudioLatin
- orotau, mātau, aweko, aroMāori
- мэдэх, ойлгохMongolian
- snappen, begrijpen, geloven, verstaanDutch
- kunne, forstå, skjønne, fatteNorwegian
- ӕмбарынOssetian, Ossetic
- [[być]] [[świadomy, rozumieć, pojmowaćPolish
- compreender, acreditar, entenderPortuguese
- capir, tgapeir, chapirRomansh
- înțelege, pricepeRomanian
- понимать, понять, разуметьRussian
- cumprèndhere, cumprendiSardinian
- razumjeti, разумјети, razumeti, разуметиSerbo-Croatian
- තේරෙනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- përvetësoj, ftillohem, kuptoj, besojAlbanian
- รู้เรื่อง, เข้าใจ, ทราบThai
- anglamoq, tushunmoqUzbek
- qonda, bonaZulu
Get even more translations for understand »
Find a translation for the understand synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)