To be aware of the meaning of.
To believe, based on information.
I understand that you have information for me.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
We perceive what is presented through the senses. We apprehend what is presented to the mind, whether through the senses or by any other means. Yet perceive is used in the figurative sense of seeing through to a conclusion, in a way for which usage would not allow us to substitute apprehend; as, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet," John iv, 19. That which we apprehend we catch, as with the hand; that which we conceive we are able to analyze and recompose in our mind; that which we comprehend, we, as it were, grasp around, take together, seize, embrace wholly within the mind. Many things may be apprehended which can not be comprehended; a child can apprehend the distinction between right and wrong, yet the philosopher can not comprehend it in its fulness. We can apprehend the will of God as revealed in conscience or the Scriptures; we can conceive of certain attributes of Deity, as his truth and justice; but no finite intelligence can comprehend the Divine Nature, in its majesty, power, and perfection. Compare ANTICIPATE; ARREST; CATCH; KNOWLEDGE.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
know and comprehend the nature or meaning of
"She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
understand, realize, realise, seeverb
perceive (an idea or situation) mentally
"Now I see!"; "I just can't see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don't understand the idea"
earn, experience, take in, figure, date, go out, pull in, look, recognise, reckon, examine, go through, read, image, see to it, find, substantiate, go steady, actualize, construe, agnise, meet, view, get word, actualise, check, make, agnize, run across, see, find out, ascertain, fancy, picture, gain, translate, visualize, regard, empathize, realise, control, encounter, sympathise, assure, envision, watch, sympathize, run into, clear, infer, come across, determine, get a line, recognize, take care, escort, witness, get wind, ensure, attend, pick up, interpret, bring in, catch, visualise, consider, empathise, learn, realize, project, visit, discover, insure, hear
understand, read, interpret, translateverb
make sense of a language
"She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
construe, infer, scan, say, represent, sympathise, transform, show, empathize, rede, register, learn, interpret, sympathize, translate, study, record, empathise, take, realise, read, realize, render, see
believe to be the case
"I understand you have no previous experience?"
sympathize, sympathise, empathize, empathise, understandverb
be understanding of
"You don't need to explain--I understand!"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use understand in a sentence?
That’s what art is meant to do, some people look at it and they love it. Some people look at it and they hate it … I understand there are going to be people that hate this. It’s a very touchy subject … but this is not real. We did n’t kill anybody nor do I feel anybody should be killed. It’s no different from a movie. It just happens to be a still image.
You know, social norms have begun to change, they've shifted, and the boundaries of protecting personal space have been reset, and I get it, I get it, i hear what they're saying, I understand it, and I'll be much more mindful, that's my responsibility. My responsibility, and I'll meet it.
Don't always try to understand everything...some things will just never make sense; when you are happy smile, when you are sad, cry but always tune into that best part of yourself where the music "waits"...it will never disappoint you...only the "savvy strutters" know this to be true.
I am at a loss to understand how they could have scandalized the court, they didn't reference the cardinal, just referred to the fact that there was a broader story that could not be told.
The reality is that for far too many people in this country, hard work isn't paying off like it should, president Trump doesn't understand that, and he's used the White House to enrich people like himself.
Translations for understand
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разумець, зразумецьBelarusian
- comprendre, entendreCatalan, Valencian
- chápat, pochopit, rozumět, porozumětCzech
- begribe, forstå, fatte, underforstå, opfatte, mene, indseDanish
- den Eindruck haben, verstehen, glauben, begreifenGerman
- κατανοώ, αντιλαμβάνομαι, καταλαβαίνωGreek
- entender, comprenderSpanish
- mõistma, aru saamaEstonian
- osata, hiffata, ymmärtää, uskoa, kässätä, käsittää, snaijata, älytä, tajuta, bonjataFinnish
- entendre, comprendreFrench
- ferstean, begripeWestern Frisian
- tud, felfog, megért, értesül, értHungarian
- skilja, skiljastIcelandic
- capire, comprendere, intendereItalian
- 理解する, 信じる, 分かる, 理解Japanese
- түсіну, ұғуKazakh
- 이해하다, 알다Korean
- تێگهیشت, سهر لێ دهرچونKurdish
- аңдоо, түшүнүүKyrgyz
- intellegō, interpretor, video, comprehendō, capio, conspicio, percipio, teneo, scio, crēdō, exaudioLatin
- orotau, mātau, aweko, aroMāori
- мэдэх, ойлгохMongolian
- snappen, begrijpen, geloven, verstaanDutch
- kunne, forstå, skjønne, fatteNorwegian
- ӕмбарынOssetian, Ossetic
- [[być]] [[świadomy, rozumieć, pojmowaćPolish
- compreender, acreditar, entenderPortuguese
- capir, tgapeir, chapirRomansh
- înțelege, pricepeRomanian
- понимать, понять, разуметьRussian
- cumprèndhere, cumprendiSardinian
- razumjeti, разумјети, razumeti, разуметиSerbo-Croatian
- තේරෙනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- përvetësoj, ftillohem, kuptoj, besojAlbanian
- รู้เรื่อง, เข้าใจ, ทราบThai
- anglamoq, tushunmoqUzbek
- qonda, bonaZulu
Get even more translations for understand »
Find a translation for the understand synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)