English Synonyms and Antonyms
To utter is to give forth as an audible sound, articulate or not. To talk is to utter a succession of connected words, ordinarily with the expectation of being listened to. To speak is to give articulate utterance even to a single word; the officer speaks the word of command, but does not talk it. To speak is also to utter words with the ordinary intonation, as distinguished from singing. To chat is ordinarily to utter in a familiar, conversational way; to chatter is to talk in an empty, ceaseless way like a magpie.
Speak to (address) a person; speak with a person (converse with him); speak of or about a thing (make it the subject of remark); speak on or upon a subject; in parliamentary language, speak to the question.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
arrant(a), complete(a), consummate(a), double-dyed(a), everlasting(a), gross(a), perfect(a), pure(a), sodding(a), stark(a), staring(a), thoroughgoing(a), utter(a), unadulteratedadjective
without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers
"an arrant fool"; "a complete coward"; "a consummate fool"; "a double-dyed villain"; "gross negligence"; "a perfect idiot"; "pure folly"; "what a sodding mess"; "stark staring mad"; "a thoroughgoing villain"; "utter nonsense"; "the unadulterated truth"
"came to a dead stop"; "utter seriousness"
express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue toverb
articulate; either verbally or with a cry, shout, or noise
"She expressed her anger"; "He uttered a curse"
utter, emit, let out, let looseverb
express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words)
"She let out a big heavy sigh"; "He uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand"
pass off, unwrap, express, bring out, divulge, talk, let loose, give away, expose, reveal, widen, breathe, let out, break, verbalise, emit, loose, give tongue to, speak, give off, verbalize, give out, let on, discover, unleash, disclose, mouth
talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbaliseverb
express in speech
"She talks a lot of nonsense"; "This depressed patient does not verbalize"
let loose, talk, express, peach, address, verbalise, give tongue to, tattle, babble out, babble, let out, emit, blab, lecture, spill the beans, speak, verbalize, blab out, sing, spill, mouth, let the cat out of the bag
put into circulation
"utter counterfeit currency"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use utter in a sentence?
Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting. The soul that rises with us, our life's star, hath had elsewhere its setting, and comet from afar: not in entire forgetfulness, and not in utter nakedness, but trailing clouds of glory do we come from God, who is our home.
The first time I ever came to this city was to dance at the inaugural ball for Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale! Which is kind of hard to believe. But then I saw how their policies worked out, they were a complete and utter failure, and then that's why I became a Republican, and I never looked back.
He has an utter disregard and hatred toward cops.
Because whenever we look to President Barack Obamas White House for some leadership or consolation or any semblance of steadiness, what we get instead is chaos, division, and a total and utter lack of empathy, empathy : thats something Ive been thinking a lot about lately. The ability to walk in someone elses shoes ; the recognition that someone elses experience has value, too. Most of us practice this without a second thought. If we see someone suffering or struggling, we dont stand in judgment.
Wake up FCC and begin to do your job, the moral decline of America is partly due to your utter complacency.
Translations for utter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dir, pronunciar, balbucejar, emetre, absolut, total, balbotejar, incondicionalCatalan, Valencian
- pronést, vydat (zvuk), vyřknout, blekotat, dát do oběhu penízeCzech
- komplet, udtrykke, udstøde, fuldkommen, ytreDanish
- äußern, ausstoßen, völligGerman
- emitir, pronunciar, balbucear, total, completoSpanish
- äärimmäinen, inahtaa, päästää, tuottaa, sanoa, virkkaa, houria, täydellinenFinnish
- absolu, prononcer, total, émettreFrench
- deargScottish Gaelic
- kiejt, kimond, teljes, megszólalHungarian
- assoluto, pronunciare, proferire, emettere, esalare, dire, tirare, totale, biascicare, completoItalian
- 発する, 述べるJapanese
- effor, proloquor, loquorLatin
- ytre, fullstendig, utstøte, utstøyte, renNorwegian
- uiten, zeggen, voortbrengen, produceren, uitbrengenDutch
- ytre, rein, fullstendigNorwegian Nynorsk
- falar, pronunciar, emitir, totalmente, dizer, balbuciar, completamentePortuguese
- издать, издавать, выговаривать, полный, говорить, выговорить, сущий, произносить, произнести, сказатьRussian
- číry, úplný, totálnySlovak
- reči, oglasiti se, skrajni, izgovoritiSlovene
- fullständig, yttra, utstöta, ren, ge tillSwedish
- по́вний, цілкови́тий, абсолю́тнийUkrainian
- thốt raVietnamese
Get even more translations for utter »
Find a translation for the utter synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)