a vigil held over a corpse the night before burial
"there's no weeping at an Irish wake"
the wave that spreads behind a boat as it moves forward
"the motorboat's wake capsized the canoe"
Wake Island, Wake(noun)
an island in the western Pacific between Guam and Hawaii
aftermath, wake, backwash(noun)
the consequences of an event (especially a catastrophic event)
"the aftermath of war"; "in the wake of the accident no one knew how many had been injured"
wake up, awake, arouse, awaken, wake, come alive, waken(verb)
"She woke up to the sound of the alarm clock"
awaken, wake, waken, rouse, wake up, arouse(verb)
cause to become awake or conscious
"He was roused by the drunken men in the street"; "Please wake me at 6 AM."
be awake, be alert, be there
make aware of
"His words woke us to terrible facts of the situation"
inflame, stir up, wake, ignite, heat, fire up(verb)
arouse or excite feelings and passions
"The ostentatious way of living of the rich ignites the hatred of the poor"; "The refugees' fate stirred up compassion around the world"; "Wake old feelings of hatred"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
How to use wake in a sentence?
If we wake up on June 24 and we are in, Britain's authority within the EU will be stronger, no other country has done what we have done, hold a renegotiation (for improved EU membership terms), hold a referendum and then people will know that the British agenda ... is going straight to the top.
Midnight is another planet! When the clock strikes twelve and if you are asleep, wake up, friend, and discover the beauties of this new planet: Discover the silence; discover the tranquillity; speak to the owls, speak to the moon; greet the hedgehogs and disappear in the midst of the mists!
We know that consuming alcohol within two to three hours of bedtime can actually have an adverse effect on sleep, a rebound effect that causes people to wake up and have restless sleep.
After last year’s attack in al-Ahsa, there was a lot of positive sentiment from many Saudis from across the kingdom, who denounced the attack, we also have seen a lot of denunciations this time, but at the same time we have seen some applauding the attack. So I think this time, the attack may well deepen divisions, particularly as it comes in the wake of the Yemen war.
In a sense, I’m a little kid in here, i didn’t wake up until I was 50 years old. I turned 50 before I had one year clean and sober. I woke up late.
Translations for wake
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- събуждам се, събуждамBulgarian
- vzbudit, vzbudit se, probudit, probudit seCzech
- vågne, vækkeDanish
- Nachlauf, erwachen, wecken, aufwecken, Totenwache, Kielwasser, aufwachenGerman
- veki, vekiĝiEsperanto
- vigilia, estela, despertar, despertarseSpanish
- herätä, [[vainajan]] [[valvojaiset]], peräaalto, herättää, hautajaiskahvit, ruumiinvalvojaiset, vanavesiFinnish
- vakna, vøka, vekjaFaroese
- réveiller, veillée funèbre, sillage, se réveillerFrench
- uisge-stiùireach, dùisgScottish Gaelic
- להעיר, להתעוררHebrew
- felébred, felébreszt, felkelt, felkelHungarian
- slóð, kjölfarIcelandic
- scia, veglia, risvegliarsi, turbolenzaItalian
- 起こす, 起きる, 航跡, 目覚める, 目が覚めるJapanese
- 일어나다, 경야Korean
- erwächenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- kōriporipo, kōrinorinoMāori
- wakker maken, wakker worden, kielzog, dodenwake, wekken, wake, ontwakenDutch
- czuwanie, kilwater, obudzić się, obudzić, [[przy]] [[zwłoki, smuga kondensacyjnaPolish
- acordar, velórioPortuguese
- priveghi, siaj, treziRomanian
- проснуться, пробуждаться, просыпаться, будить, поминки, кильватер, разбудить, пробудитьсяRussian
- zobudiť sa, zobudiťSlovak
- väcka, vakna, kölvattenSwedish
- kuamsha, kuamkaSwahili
- నిద్రలేపుట, నిద్ర ఆపుటTelugu
- kaldırmak, uyanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for wake »
Find a translation for the wake synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)